Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

Weapon*R vs Ironman/GoofyGuy

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Weapon*R vs Ironman/GoofyGuy

Has anyone installed the Weapon*R engine damper in their SS S/C?

I've seen one picture of an installed W/R damper, it was in either an SS or a R/L - looked more like an SS to me. Anyways, IMHO the setup looked much nicer and cleaner than the Ironman/GoofyGuy brace. It looked like it was attached between the engine and engine mount, as opposed to the engine and strut tower or rad support. I'm pretty sure it is a direct bolt on with no drilling required. I may be wrong but doesn't the Ironman require drilling?

Can anyone offer their opinion on how either of these braces work? Do either significantly reduce wheel hop and make for a smoother shift?

My one and only complaint about the SS S/C is the damn wheel hop! I need to get this eliminated but I'm not too keen on getting new motor mounts.

Thanks for any/all advice!
Old 10-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Ern

Im not even sure the WR fits ours? I think there for the Redline but hey, it might be the same setup. Ironmans are less expesnive, about half the price of the WR but yes the WR does look more professional/cleaner i guess.

I thought I even read he was selling the buisness or something and was no longer a supporting vendor? Whats the word guys, Im in his boat too.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:38 PM

Vita is looking to sell the business, however GoofyGuy might be taking it on again. Regardless, I have the brace, but I am waiting on the upgrade brackets. For the brief time I did have the brace installed, it worked like a charm. Made shifting alot smoother and wheelhop almost non-existent. Definitely a worthwhile mod. Couple that with a solid tranny mount, and your golden.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:54 PM

Ive got the WR damper, it does fit our ss sc. tomorrow I'll install and post.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:12 PM

I have a WR and it works great!!!!! Wheel hop is now gone. The install on the WR only took about 7-10min.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Where can we find this part?
Old 10-29-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by MOD MONEY
Ive got the WR damper, it does fit our ss sc. tomorrow I'll install and post.
If you could post some pics of the installed damper, that would be great!

Good luck on the install, and please let me know if you encounter any trouble.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chevypowered
Where can we find this part?
http://www.weapon-r.com/store/agora....&ppinc=search2
Old 10-30-2005, 02:42 PM

finished installing wr damper works like a charm. No digi camera for pics sorry.
easiest install other than strut bar

MOD MONEY=red ss sc lsd recaros
axis 7mod 18" rims
IPP carbon fiber hood
psi fi boost kit- headers- KN typhoon-magnaflow catback
DC sport strut bar- WR damper
Old 10-30-2005, 10:26 PM

Selling The Company? Crap!

i bought my braces September 16 and paid for them already, but haven't got them yet. hopefully i get them before he sells the company!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:44 PM

You can get the weapon-R Damper for $50 cheaper at this site

http://www.advanperformance.com/stor...&ppinc=search2

Old 11-02-2005, 09:28 PM

note that Weapon R damper makes car have wicked vibration sounds. Ive taken mine off for now till I make some kind of rubber spacer or gasket to put between the damper and my car.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MOD MONEY
note that Weapon R damper makes car have wicked vibration sounds. Ive taken mine off for now till I make some kind of rubber spacer or gasket to put between the damper and my car.
I just received mine yesterday and will install it this weekend. The directions seem kinda cheezy, how much did you adjust your engine damper ? The directions say to "adjust the engine damper to your desired specifications" Where would be a good starting point ? It seems that over adjusting would result in severe vibration & under adjusting would not give any benefit. Gotta find the sweet spot

Any tips would be great !

ThanX
Old 11-15-2005, 04:04 PM

thats what motor mounts/torque braces do. they make the engine and the chassis more "connected". granted i dont know how bad your vibes are but they r to be expected with this kind of mod.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM

My vibration came when I turn left. I just had to move it away from the engine and now it is gone. I would leave the settings alone. That was one thing I was concerned about and the company told me that over tightening it can cause the braces to brake. So I decided to leave it alone since I could tell a difference with it on. (wheel hop reduction).
Old 11-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Banned

This is something I am purchasing after I pay off my Table and Chairs set I bought at the furniture store yesterday. More goodies. Yeppe At least there is a brace that we can buy right now.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:28 PM

RSM racing has a stronger tranny mount. I have it ordered and will update when i get it on.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So everyone who got either one, did you have to drill any holes at all, or is everything set for installation?
Old 11-16-2005, 09:42 AM

looks

i think the ironman dual brace looks better.
just me though.
how much more vibartion in the car now?
if you watch the videos it looks like our car.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:02 PM

I just came outta my garage on trying to install the engine damper but ran into major fitment problems with the brackets, the engine side bracket was the worse. Had to rework/grind it so it would not touch the two motor mounts when tightened down. So after reworking them I had to put a fresh coat of paint on them. I will install tomorrow after the paint dries. Who ever ground the welds at the factory (so the bracket would lay flat and not touch/rub on the factory motor mounts) did a very crappy job !!! I can see why some people are reporting severe vibrations. I reworked the bracket so there would be at least 1/8" of clearence on all points, no metal to metal contact. I will give an update soon.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Tranny mount upgrade

Here is a link to the tranny mount thread if anyone is interested in it. Its a direct replacement and fits perfectly!!
Old 11-27-2005, 06:42 PM

Finally got it installed after reworking the hell out of the motor side bracket. It's been raining here all day/night so I won't get a chance to test it out till later. I'm also going to give Weapon-R a call tomorrow because the damper will not fit between the two brackets unless it's at the shortest\stiffest position. The brackets are located to close together and will not allow any lengthening\softening of the damper. I wish I would have bought the Iron-Man damper. I can't believe Weapon-R would sell such a pile of crap

I did install and test this before I had reworked the brackets and the car had severe vibrations and the engine\exhaust noise was much louder inside the car. This was because of the crappy fitment of the brackets which when bolted down left no clearence between anything (metal to metal contact).
Old 11-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Asstyme: that is exactly what it did with me ,I'm just leaving the brackets their and putting the damper on at track or race since I drive often, right now my clutch is gone out so I'm waiting on stg 2 and flywheel
Old 11-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Ern

Sounds like I should be taking the weapon r off my future mods list? No one seems to like it.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 AM

i have one issue with dampers. our engines have knock sensors, what happens is due to the crazy engine vibrations, the knock sensors get confused and thinks some of it is engine knock and the car starts pulling timing. dont believe me? put in an obd scanner and dirve it with stock mounts and record the timing. next install the engine dmpners and drive the car for a couple days, hook up the obd scanner and record the timing. then compare.