Drivetrain Transmission, LSD, Clutch, Driveline, Axles...

zzp vs ottp mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
I understand that. I'm just saying that its nothing special. The Powell mounts work perfectly fine on a lowered car. Pretty much everyone I know that is running them, is dropped. Some considerably more than others.

And when you installed the Powell mounts, did you properly loosen the other mounts and follow his install procedure? Or did you just put them on and go? Almost everyone that I've heard of having troubles with Powell mounts, didn't follow the install procedure on them properly.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is vendor fights at it's finest. Honestly, and please hear me out..

If the part had no name attached to them, I think this would not be an argument. Knowing that a part comes from a certain company, with a certain name attached it, having heard (or knowing first-hand) background on said company (good or bad) is what makes people's decision when it comes to topics like this. Not in all cases 100% of the time, but enough of the time, I think anyway.

There is no need to try and prove which works better. If it works for your application then great. If it doesn't work for your application, there is no need to say it is a bad/shitty part, because every single cobalt on here is a different application. They are all great parts, regardless of the company name attached to it, and they have all been proven to work, time and time again.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxxsh4d0wxxxx

This is vendor fights at it's finest. Honestly, and please hear me out..

If the part had no name attached to them, I think this would not be an argument. Knowing that a part comes from a certain company, with a certain name attached it, having heard (or knowing first-hand) background on said company (good or bad) is what makes people's decision when it comes to topics like this. Not in all cases 100% of the time, but enough of the time, I think anyway.

There is no need to try and prove which works better. If it works for your application then great. If it doesn't work for your application, there is no need to say it is a bad/shitty part, because every single cobalt on here is a different application. They are all great parts, regardless of the company name attached to it, and they have all been proven to work, time and time again.
Yeah, like Eibachs, I ordered their springs because of name and the no name version works better for me.

But I like your analogy, lets say all the mounts were offered by Powell, which would you choose?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I understand that. I'm just saying that its nothing special. The Powell mounts work perfectly fine on a lowered car. Pretty much everyone I know that is running them, is dropped. Some considerably more than others.

And when you installed the Powell mounts, did you properly loosen the other mounts and follow his install procedure? Or did you just put them on and go? Almost everyone that I've heard of having troubles with Powell mounts, didn't follow the install procedure on them properly.
yea man in fact i tried it multiple times. Working in a shop at first i did the install on the lift. followed all his directions still had issues (only at the strip though) then i figured id do it on ramps with the car loaded and repeated the procedure of loosening the mounts, still had issues. Like i said on the street they completely eliminated wheel hop, but at the track i had issues. I couldnt even do a burn out to heat my tires without hopping more violently than with stock tranny mounts. I checked my cab's and tried various tire combos to see if it helped to no avail. I bought a set of tc mounts off a guy on here, almost no wheel hop on the street, no vibes, and really smooth. Of course i know the real test will be when i make it back to the strip this season with the slicks, but im thinking the sidewall of my slicks and the drag bags ill be running should ease the hop. Powells are quality mounts, but i always wondered if being lowered had been taken into consideration for the angle, and to my knowledge he never said so. With that being said if ZZP was able to get the correct angle and take into consideration a car being lowered vs stock height, i do believe it would help. ( just posting my personal experience with them)

Last edited by zrated89; 08-06-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM

what would be nice to see is a pair off zzp's stock height mounts, vs a pair of lowered height mounts and see if the rotation of the bushing is in fact different
Old 08-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Bannned

agreed! i have ottp mounts brand new still (stage 2). i can get a picture if someone can get a pic of the lowered ones...
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 PM

if i have hop issues after my new setup ill be going with the zzp lowered height mounts and i still have my powell mounts so i can take some measurements and compare the two
Old 08-07-2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by zrated89
what would be nice to see is a pair off zzp's stock height mounts, vs a pair of lowered height mounts and see if the rotation of the bushing is in fact different
The only difference according to Tim@ZZP is the bolt hole location.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
yea man in fact i tried it multiple times. Working in a shop at first i did the install on the lift. followed all his directions still had issues (only at the strip though) then i figured id do it on ramps with the car loaded and repeated the procedure of loosening the mounts, still had issues. Like i said on the street they completely eliminated wheel hop, but at the track i had issues. I couldnt even do a burn out to heat my tires without hopping more violently than with stock tranny mounts. I checked my cab's and tried various tire combos to see if it helped to no avail. I bought a set of tc mounts off a guy on here, almost no wheel hop on the street, no vibes, and really smooth. Of course i know the real test will be when i make it back to the strip this season with the slicks, but im thinking the sidewall of my slicks and the drag bags ill be running should ease the hop. Powells are quality mounts, but i always wondered if being lowered had been taken into consideration for the angle, and to my knowledge he never said so. With that being said if ZZP was able to get the correct angle and take into consideration a car being lowered vs stock height, i do believe it would help. ( just posting my personal experience with them)
as the initial design of the mounts was for lowered Grand Am and Time Attack race cars, and the rotation was to realign the output of the trans out put shaft with the center of the knuckle wheel bearing, then lowering the car was not an issue.

what is an issue is what you described exactly. With DR or even street tires, hop at the strip is stillthere with my rotated mounts. I hate that hop at the strip, it is not as vioilent as before; but the only thing I can suggest is launching to avoid hop ( 2200 rpm on an sc car) and that is not easy to do and still have a less than 2.0 60 ft. You have to get less than 2.0 60 ft if youwant a good 1320 time.

There are answers. The drivers side mount should be changed ( expensive to prototype) and see of that can help. ZZP lock the mounts up solid in their race cars, as do we in our road race cars, with alloy bushings but the vibes are stooopid.

Hope this helps. PS I do have a new mount coming out for a lot less money, and I could do the drivers side in similar fashion. It all depends if I want to tie up shop time making a few sets for trial, and put off other regular jobs. Tough call, especially after all that work creepy peeps go copy the stuff.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Former Vendor

Oh and one more thing. USMC is all over this thread with good info, but at the drag strip, as at the road race track, car set up and tire pressure is critical to performance. On the drag strip, lowering the tire pressure to change the effective spring rate of the tire and allow the sidewall to flex is very important and affects power hop.

At the end of the day if you totally eliminate hop and get a perfect hook at the drag strip, with a stunning reaction time and great launch, the main shaft of the transmission will go out the front bell housing...
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Premium Member

Love my Powell mounts and would love a Top Engine one to match
Old 08-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Former Vendor

we can talk maybe it will slow down in september. U doing good at strip as it is tho. no driver mod needed
Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 PM

i do not have any wheel hop at the drag strip. i am on street tires. i was willing to go down a rim size.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by myfakeevo
i do not have any wheel hop at the drag strip. i am on street tires. i was willing to go down a rim size.
so you are saying that a 17 inch sidewall works better than an 18? interesting. I did not find that on the Redline at the drag strip....but you are probably better at drag racing.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:00 PM

if you think thats the case then do some research on a cv joint. the angle of the driveshaft from a stock ride height car and a lowered car WILL be different. anyone that says other wise is full of it. I had powells stage two mounts, vibes were harsh, not unbearable, and had bad hop on the strip. On the street i had no hop. But seem as how half of this site is into roll racing they wouldnt experience this. i upgraded to a pair of the LNF mounts and they are awesome ive had no issues with them
wait... you upgraded from the powell stage 2 Mounts to the LNF mounts...?

hmm.. I'm wonderin where I should go from mine then
Old 08-07-2011, 04:51 PM

I have Ottp stage 2 mounts. I love them. Never hop, even at the track.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Indeed. If you're hopping at the drag strip, you probably have too much tire pressure.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:41 PM

i don't understand how TOO much tire pressure will make u hop. If you have less tire pressure you get more grip. More tire pressure will give u less grip but more comfort
Old 08-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I always always under the impression - More tire pressure = Spin, Less tire pressure = Hop.

Apparently I was mistaken. Ya learn something new every day.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Former Vendor

high tire pressure makes the tire sidewall stiffer therefore the tire spring rate increases , and the tire contact patch changes, therefore the hop increases.

grip is not simply a function of pressure. often higher pressure reduces grip, and lower pressure increases it but its not as simple as that. also where did the term "wrinkle walls" come from?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Think of a Basketball. When is it easier to bounce? When its full of air? Or when its low on air?

Drop your tires to 20psi and they aren't going to bounce nearly as easily, if at all. When I was on stock mounts, that's how I would stop wheel hop... dropping the tire pressure. I do the same thing with my GTI. My first time down the track with the VW was on 35psi. Wheel hopped like a royal beotch. Dropped the pressure to 20psi and they gripped like the dickens.

Obviously, I don't recommend driving around on 20psi of air on Street Tires. Track use only.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

I'm on factory mounts and with my suspension setup now i get no wheel hop. I was gonna buy mounts but i think i'm gonna be different and keep them stock and see what happens
Old 08-07-2011, 09:42 PM

Makes sense, thank you both for explaining.

It's not of much surprise though seeing as how I've never been to the track. I'm utterly clueless.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:22 PM

nah i was on street tires at 18psi cut a 2.0 flat almost a 1.9 60' and squeaked out a 13.1 @ 107 on the m62 no meth. I get what your saying and have tried alot of things. The one thing im going to do different this time around is have a set of slicks running low pressure to help absorb the hop. and at the time i was running my potenza RE11's which is my road race tire and im not gonna lie they have re enforced sidewalls for cornering so im sure that didnt help matters. but that run was done prior to my stage two mounts. I was stoked and went back with meth, the mounts and a few minor things looking to obtain my goal of a 12 sec pass on street tires and stock blower, but actually hopped worse. Im really consistant running the 1320 and my 60's, maybe your mounts like a different approach as to where they like being launched at. I generally leave at 1800- 2000rpms and slip the clutch while feathering the gas for tracshuns. i duno. Like i said though on the street i had no hop at all. Maybe i should try them after i install my bags in the rear slicks and a few other tricks i have in mind to run a mid to low 12 on my new tvs setup
Old 08-07-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by donkeyballs
I'm on factory mounts and with my suspension setup now i get no wheel hop. I was gonna buy mounts but i think i'm gonna be different and keep them stock and see what happens
im on darts stock SS/TC ones, and for the broke lsj guys let me tell you these things are superb compared to our stock tranny mounts

Quick Reply: zzp vs ottp mounts