Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

2006 Cobalt LT & New Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2006 Cobalt LT & New Radio

Please bear with me, I'm a girl and really don't know much about this stuff.

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT with the base radio (I think, not Pioneer) I'm trying to get a new radio (head unit) installed and having a bear of a time.

I have read through most of the posts and I think I have finally convinced the installers that I don't need the $100 part to retain the DIC or door chimes (no Onstar). I ordered the $15 harness from Crutchfield and they have agreed to use it, however, today they tell me that by not using the $100 part:

1. They can't guarantee that the dash warning lights will ever work again (i.e. check engine, gas low, air bag sensors etc.)
2. When the dealer/mechanic hooks up the car to check for problems the diagnostics are read through the radio and that won't be able to happen.

Are any of those two statements true? I don't really think so based on everything I have read but I just want a confirmation before I tell them to go ahead and do it. This saga has been going on since August and I really want it over and done with.

Thank you very much,
Kathleen
Old 01-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe the $100 dollar version was made only to retain OnStar

I have not heard any members having problems with their aftermarket radio's otherwise
Old 01-07-2007, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kat518
Please bear with me, I'm a girl and really don't know much about this stuff.

I have a 2006 Cobalt LT with the base radio (I think, not Pioneer) I'm trying to get a new radio (head unit) installed and having a bear of a time.

I have read through most of the posts and I think I have finally convinced the installers that I don't need the $100 part to retain the DIC or door chimes (no Onstar). I ordered the $15 harness from Crutchfield and they have agreed to use it, however, today they tell me that by not using the $100 part:

1. They can't guarantee that the dash warning lights will ever work again (i.e. check engine, gas low, air bag sensors etc.)
2. When the dealer/mechanic hooks up the car to check for problems the diagnostics are read through the radio and that won't be able to happen.

Are any of those two statements true? I don't really think so based on everything I have read but I just want a confirmation before I tell them to go ahead and do it. This saga has been going on since August and I really want it over and done with.

Thank you very much,
Kathleen
1. Sounds like typical audio-shop stuff. Don't worry about it.

2. Diagnostics are not read through the radio. However, the ECM does have communications with the factory radio via GM's LAN system. In other words, when the tech plugs in to your car, it will tell him that the factory radio is not found or no communication (which is obvious, since you will have removed the factory radio). Nothing to worry about.

Go ahead with the install using the Crutchfield harness. That's the harness I used and everything is a-ok.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:41 PM

You will be fine...15$ part is all you need..ive had my new deck in since last July, been to dealer multiple times and they have yet to say anything
Old 01-09-2007, 05:15 PM

I was in the same spot as you and this forum helped me out allot. I was told by my dealership that I would lose all kinds of things if I replaced the radio. However, I went ahead and put in a DVD unit and so far no problem. I haven't lost anything.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:57 PM

has anyone actuallyl had a diagnostic performed on there car for a CEL with a aftermarket head unit plugged in?
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Here are some answers to the questions asked. I have installed probably 9 systems into different cobalts and cavaliers. When I say systems I mean, Head Units, Speakers, Amps and subs.

Q: Well an aftermarket headunit require a $100 harness.
A: No. The harness that all the installers recommend you to buy is a T harness that is suppose to retain your factory radio... what for, not sure. Your DIC unit is ran off a seperate system and not the radio. GM just got lazy when they announced the problem with the Malibu's and Monte Carlos where the DIC is actually part of the radio.
THE DIC WILL NO BE AFFECTED IF YOU BUY THE $10 HARNESS unless you drive a malibu or monte carlo

Q: What will i lose if I chose the $10 Harness over the $100 Harness?
A: This answer only applies to those of you who purchased the car with the ON-Star option and/or the Sirus/XM satelite radio.

Both the ON-star and Sirus/XM radio are incorparted into the stock radio. When a new radio is installed, these items can be retained by purchased corresponding harnesses or adapters from the Head Unit Manufactor.

The majority of those who ask the question, don't even have On-Star or XM radio, so they have no effect by swapping the radio.

Q: CELs, are they affected?
A: CELs are pulled off the ECU. The plug is found under the driver side dash board, towards the pedals, all the way to the left. Your local Autozone, Pepboys, Advanced Autoparts, etc. plugs their OBD2 reader into that plug and it pulls all data off the ECU. The radio is on a completely different circuit. The radio should have no effect on the ECU whatsever. Otherwise when the radio craps out... so does the car. Eeek!
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM

For those of you who might have a cavalier or Sunfire... all you lose is the annoying door chimes.

Worst thing that could happen is you forget your keys in the ignition or your lights on.