Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Amp fuse and wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp fuse and wiring question

Here are crappy webcam pics becuase the camera is currently gone with someone else...

I have an amp from my old car. It worked just fine before. I have 10 gauge wire with a built in fuse. Hooked it up to one channel and powered my 12. It was fine.

Now I want to bridge channels to get more power. I have 4 gauge wire now. I dont have a fuse holder though. There are two fuses in the amp as shown. One amp is messed up with copper shoved in it and the other one doesn't have a fuse in it. I don't know what amperage it is though. Just wondering if anyone can tell by the picture and if the messed up one on the right can be fixed by ripping out the wire and putting a new fuse in?

Here is a picture of the top of the amp with some description of it. Keep in mind I got this from my cousin cause he blew his subs.

Also, If someone could show me how to wire it so it's bridged for 2 channels, that would be cool

I'll post some high rez photos soon if they are needed.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:46 PM

Did your amp s made to receive 4 gauge wire?I think you can put a 100amp fuse with a fuse block on your 4 gauge wire.
if you want to bridge it you ll have 2x your power,I dont know your plan for this but you need to put the + in the left spot and the - in the third spot from the left( on the 3/4ch) and samething for the 1/2 channel,just follow the mono sign and dont mess with the positive and negative.
If you can clean the fuse slot on your amp it will help a lot but im not sure that will resolve the problem

good luck
Old 05-03-2006, 06:49 PM

as for replcaing the fuse im confused i ant tell anything from your pic please try to explauin more and ill help as for bridged Many times, its better to simply buy a more powerful amplifier, rather than operate two different ones in bridge mode. Bridged amps usually run hotter, and excessive heat is the enemy of every stereo component. but you would hook the negative left with the positive right but u must make sure your amp is bridgeable
Old 05-03-2006, 07:34 PM

Thanks guys. I don't have a good camera here to get the fuse. I will try to get one.

I think i'm going to wire it up like I had it before and then figure out what to do with the 4 gauge. I can use 4 gauge, I just need a connector small enough to fit the amp.

I'm using a line out converter to hook up to factory deck. I already ran the power wire to the fuse box and it is completely hidden. Ran it along side and up through glove box area and down to fuse box.

Would it be wrong to use 4 gauge wire for now to hook up to the sub and just leave the 10 gauge for the battery with the fuse holder I already have? That way I have at least some of it with 4 gauge and I only need to change the battery power cable when I figure that stuff out.

Does anyone know what size fuse would go in the amp? I know it's hard to see. I just took out the copper wire that was in it. Now there is nothing in both fuses. I assume fuse1 is for first set of channels and 2nd is for next set. I'm gonna go somewhere after dinner to ask someone in person as well.

Thanks again guys.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 PM

Your amp is rated to use a maxe of 60 amps total. You have two fuse spots because half will go to one side and the other half to the other. I would use 2 30amp fuses.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rashnu
Your amp is rated to use a maxe of 60 amps total. You have two fuse spots because half will go to one side and the other half to the other. I would use 2 30amp fuses.
Thank you!!

I will jump on that right now!