Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Amp stability issues. Head scratcher.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp stability issues. Head scratcher.

Evening css- I'm at my wits end. Basically, I have two amps. a 4 channel, and a mono. I'm having terrible issues with the 4 channel amp cutting out at random intervals, while the sub amp stays on. I wired the amps turn on leads in series (i.e., deck --> 4 channel, and ran a jumper wire from the 4 channel remote input --> Mono amp remote) if that makes sense.

I've narrowed the issues down to having to do with when my headlights are on. Namely being night and day. Daylight (headlights are OFF) is when I see most of my issues. Intermittently the amp will cut out and make a loud pop, and stay off from anywhere from 1 to 30 seconds. I can manually turn my headlights on, and it makes the issue about 80% better. While driving at night, I have seen absolutely ZERO issues.

I'm baffled at this. I've checked my grounds, my power leads, and I even re-ran the remote wire. I'm down to thinking that I have a short somewhere, or, [I'm really grasping for straws] my retrofits are impacting this somehow. I've tried to lay this out as clearly as I can, but I'm beat, and I have to be at work early, so I'm sorry if this doesn't make a lot of sense. I will try my best to explain further if you need more info. and a Huge thanks in advance!

Maybe I'm just over thinking it...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your ground. Check when it turns off see if it's overheating. But I would bet ground.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
could be either or. check power ground and remote during the day when ur having the issues
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Depending on the deck, the issue may be with the remote wire. Generally it's a good idea not to jumper the remote and rather install a relay for a single remote wire run, especially if it's a cheaper deck. Pin 86 remote turn on from the deck, pin 85 ground, pin 87 12v+ (can grab this at the amp) pin 30 to the remote turn on terminal on the amps. Hope this helps.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by c4w18
Depending on the deck, the issue may be with the remote wire. Generally it's a good idea not to jumper the remote and rather install a relay for a single remote wire run, especially if it's a cheaper deck. Pin 86 remote turn on from the deck, pin 85 ground, pin 87 12v+ (can grab this at the amp) pin 30 to the remote turn on terminal on the amps. Hope this helps.
this is what i was thinking.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM

could also be your mono amp starving the 4channel amp of power. try to run one amp at a time to see if the problem still occures. try increasing the power wire to the same size wire as you mono amp. current flows in the path of least resistence so the bigger the wire the lower resistence. Also try thinging of a capacitor for your mono amp. might need a bigger alternator or a better bat. there is many reasons for one amp to stop working.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ccadet02
could also be your mono amp starving the 4channel amp of power. try to run one amp at a time to see if the problem still occures. try increasing the power wire to the same size wire as you mono amp. current flows in the path of least resistence so the bigger the wire the lower resistence. Also try thinging of a capacitor for your mono amp. might need a bigger alternator or a better bat. there is many reasons for one amp to stop working.
They're both run with 4 gauge wire. I don't have a cap at this point yet. But a cap was definitely in the plans

Check your ground. Check when it turns off see if it's overheating. But I would bet ground.
I've been meaning to look to see if it's in protect mode when it cuts out, I almost need someone to drive while I watch the light, and to maybe have a meter with me to see if the remote is dropping, or if the 12V from the battery is maybe sagging enough for it to drop.

I'm going to be super busy this week, and probably won't get a chance to check on it until this coming week. Thanks for the feedback so far!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:41 AM

I have never realy seen a 4 chanel amp for speakers go into over heat protection. Im leaning towards the low voltage protection.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 PM

I have never realy seen a 4 chanel amp for speakers go into over heat protection. Im leaning towards the low voltage protection.
Well, if my memory serves me, I think that could be adding to the root of my issues too. I had a poop fuse block lying around when I installed this and used it for the 4 channel because my local best buy was out of 4 channel distro blocks, and I worked there at the time and was too much of a tight ass to pay for one from somewhere else. I just now thought about that. But still, with my headlights ON it holds up better which is weird to me.

I still haven't checked into any of these suggestions, but the logistics of it seem to be that it has to do with my retros. I think i may pull them saturday and see if something isn't goobered up in the wiring there too.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 AM

what brand of amp are you using. i no some amps are cheaply made and are very sensitive to any changed and will trip into protect.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM

what brand of amp are you using. i no some amps are cheaply made and are very sensitive to any changed and will trip into protect.
both are polk, I think DX series.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:41 AM

hmm. polk is usualy a preaty good brand. were you able to do any more troubleshooting?