Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Help!!! Walled enclosure with a sunroof???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Walled enclosure with a sunroof???

I have a 06 cobalt ss/sc. I want to do a custom wall for two 15" RE XXX in a 8cu. ft. enclosure with a 150cu. in. port tuned to 33hz. powered by 2 2500w class D amps. My question is will this be okay to do even though I have a factory sunroof or will i encounter structural damage to my roof???
Old 11-27-2008, 01:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
what are your plans for this (competition? super loud daily? ect)

do you already have the subs?

to answer your question yes and no. Usually cars with a sunroof tend to have more support for the roof making them "stornger" but the sunroof will "leak" air. will your roof crack. 95% no. really depends on what you end up doing. Working at a shop that has done more walls then id like to think about. the only one that had structural damage was a 160db mazda 6. 4 MT 15s on 4-8k depending on time
Old 11-27-2008, 10:58 AM

Really, its for daily use. I like music loud. Some may hate or wonder why, but its just me. So it would be for daily use. I do have the subs, just not the amps yet. I was looking into the Orion 2500Ds, one on each sub. I want to hit about 145-150db but i just dont want to completely ruin my car.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:30 PM

old or new XXXs?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:05 PM

They're the new ones. I just ordered two of the sundown audio 3000d's to power them.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:19 PM

damn doing it big? id recommend getting one of the knobs for those amps. See if you can somehow splice 2 together to to a single knob.

Also be careful with those subs. The floating coil is a flawed theory because it doesnt cool nearly as well as a conventional sub. Get used to the smell of buring coil and if you ever smell it turn it down. You can probably over power the subs by quite a bit for short periods of time but extended use will need lower power
Old 11-28-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I could take a picture of me drooling all over my keyboard I would...damn thats going to be loud.
What power upgrades are you making to handle that kind of draw?
Old 11-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Rent me! per hour

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
ya know. you don't need to do a wall in the back of your car to hit 145-150db's. use mathematics and build the right box and you can hit it with subs in the trunk.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:51 AM

For power, Im running three Powermaster 3500s, and depending on how well that holds up, possibly a custom 250amp alternator. 1/0awg wiring all through the car.

And yes, your right. I could hit 145-150db's with a trunk setup. I've hit 143.2 in this car before with 4 12s in the trunk. But I cant give my new subs the airspace they need in the trunk. Maybe one of the 15s, but not both. And lets all face it. Seeing that wall in person is just f*****g cool!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Yes until you want to go to the mall or the movies or a bar ect.
Then that wall becomes a huge neon "STEAL ME" sign.
Not to mention god forbid you ever want to bring more than one person along with you.

Don't get me wrong. I had a wall with 2 Fosgate 15's in my Civic, years ago, used to make people want to puke from thew bass, I guess it boils down to 2 things 1) When you get older your views on things change, back seats become important. 2) Once you've had your car broken into you start to get a little more cautious. You certainly learn not to advertise the fact that you have a 140-150 db system cuz you know there are plenty of crack/meth heads out there just waiting for you to leave it somewhere oublic so they can take your ****.

BTW-Please don't say you have an alarm, we all know the best an alarm can do is prevent them from taking the whole car, once they get in and kill the battery , its a nice quiet 5 minutes to unscrew all they want take and then there gone.

I'm sure Emp can give you some pointers on a sealed box for those subs, he runs them same with the sundown 3000d in a sealed box in the trunk, cuz your right ported won't fit. I'm guessing his setup is beyond loud but sounds real good at the same time (SQL setup) its nice to hear the song as well as feel it.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:27 PM

I feel what your saying in regards to the wall, but i have a second car for back seats. Plus I really dont like riding with a lot of people. And yeah your right about the theft thing too. But if someone really wants your car, regardless of whats inside, they're gonna take it. I've had someone break into my car to steal $20 and a half empty box of newports out my glovebox. Yea it sux to come outside and see your ride broken into or worse, gone. But there's dumbshits out there that dont believe in working for there own ****. So thats why I pay an assload for insurance...

(Sidenote- If you haven't already, check with your insurance company about Aftermarket Parts Insurance. Dependant on the company, you might come out on top. I have USAA and as long as I can produce reciepts, they insure EVERYTHING!!!!)
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 PM

But if someone really wants your car, regardless of whats inside, they're gonna take it.
Now thats the truth!

We'll good luck with the setup you had better post pics when your done

BTW-Where I live the insurance is run by the goverment, so even when you get the extra insurance ($100 for every $1000 of euipment) they don't always pay out... damn ****'s!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Dude I totally feel ya!!! Before I joined the Army, I had GEICO, when it was just for government employees and there families. Their insurance paid out up to $500 for aftermarket parts and that wouldn't even cover my rims!

But I will definately post pics. Im trying to wait and start the build until I get all of my components and do it all at once. Im looking into doing some custom door panels similar to emp's to hold 8" midbass and 6.5" midranges. And I just ordered two Soundstream super tweeters for the highs.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
Yes until you want to go to the mall or the movies or a bar ect.
Then that wall becomes a huge neon "STEAL ME" sign.
Not to mention god forbid you ever want to bring more than one person along with you.

Don't get me wrong. I had a wall with 2 Fosgate 15's in my Civic, years ago, used to make people want to puke from thew bass, I guess it boils down to 2 things 1) When you get older your views on things change, back seats become important. 2) Once you've had your car broken into you start to get a little more cautious. You certainly learn not to advertise the fact that you have a 140-150 db system cuz you know there are plenty of crack/meth heads out there just waiting for you to leave it somewhere oublic so they can take your ****.

BTW-Please don't say you have an alarm, we all know the best an alarm can do is prevent them from taking the whole car, once they get in and kill the battery , its a nice quiet 5 minutes to unscrew all they want take and then there gone.

I'm sure Emp can give you some pointers on a sealed box for those subs, he runs them same with the sundown 3000d in a sealed box in the trunk, cuz your right ported won't fit. I'm guessing his setup is beyond loud but sounds real good at the same time (SQL setup) its nice to hear the song as well as feel it.
you had a wall? what 15s? ill drool all over that.... have any pics?

Originally Posted by tlcjr
Dude I totally feel ya!!! Before I joined the Army, I had GEICO, when it was just for government employees and there families. Their insurance paid out up to $500 for aftermarket parts and that wouldn't even cover my rims!

But I will definately post pics. Im trying to wait and start the build until I get all of my components and do it all at once. Im looking into doing some custom door panels similar to emp's to hold 8" midbass and 6.5" midranges. And I just ordered two Soundstream super tweeters for the highs.
what all else were u looking to order. Sounds like a pretty crazy project

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 12-01-2008 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 AM

No I don't have any pics, or should I say maybe I do but they would be at my parents house cuz I was still living at home when I had that setup.(over 10 years ago)

I had 2 old school (1994 or 1995) Rockford Fosgate Power 15's in a V shaped box ( the subs slightly faced in, it was the only they would fit ) that started about a foot behind the front seats and ended right about where the trunk lid meets the back window.(those subs needed alot of airspace to run ) It had 2 4 inch ports , one under each sub to towards the inside of the box and was sealed up down the middle (two seperate boxes, built into one)
They were run by an old school Rodek RA2300 which was way under rated at 2x300 @ 4ohms.
The box wasn't anything special other than the fact it was 1" MDF was heavy as a bitch and had to go in in 2 seperate pieces, and was even after we took the front seats out.

I had it for about a year and a half until I missed having back seats and figured it was going to get stolen if I kept advertising it everywhere, so I sold the subs, ditched the box and put 2 PPI Flat 10" subs in a box in the trunk.
BTW The car was a 1994 Honda Civic Dragon Edition (coupe)
Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

I was also looking at a kenwood in-dash and some 7" visor monitors. I want to pick up two of the sundown 4ch amps to power the insides. And I sent an email to Excessive Amperage about a custom 250amp alternator. And probably a signal processor. Anyone have any recomendations???
Old 12-01-2008, 08:28 PM

look at the 360.2 for processing. Also watch out for your monitors. Anything with crazy bass will break things. Just as a heads up
Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by tlcjr
I have a 06 cobalt ss/sc. I want to do a custom wall for two 15" RE XXX in a 8cu. ft. enclosure with a 150cu. in. port tuned to 33hz. powered by 2 2500w class D amps. My question is will this be okay to do even though I have a factory sunroof or will i encounter structural damage to my roof???

so your building a loud ass stereo.... tuned to an exact freq with exact cubes and you dont know if the sunroof will be a problem? you need to stop listening to what some guy has said at some shop. the roof is going to flex like a mother ******!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 AM

First off guy, I know the roofs gonna flex. That wasn't the issue. I was worried more about having glass in my lap as i drive down the road. Secondly, just because I ask a question on this forum doesn't mean I haven't been trying to do my research. Emp, in my opinion, has the credintials to back up what he's saying. So I might slightly trust that a little bit.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:18 AM

This car will need to be supported. Tuned that low and to see how much this sucker moves now with my 2 tens i think your will have problems. Even the hoses that the water runs through from the sunroof tray could suffer but i dont know if they only go down the rear sections or not. You may be ok if so but still see problems showing up.
That port seems small but then again you did say daily correct. That should be fine.