Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

How to get a "Dimmer" wire for a head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get a "Dimmer" wire for a head unit?

From what I can tell the GM-LAN takes care of the dimmer signal; which, won't work for an aftermarket HU. The only way I can see doing it is put some relays on the High/low beam headlight wires.

Any other ideas?

I have an 06 w/Pioneer system so I won't be needing the GM-LAN converter to keep chimes and stuff right?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 07 ss/sc w/the pioneer system and I needed a GMOS LAN 04. I think it depends on where your DIC is but don't quote me on that.
The problem is the GMOS sends the chimes through the drivers side speaker, there is a dial and some jumpers on the side of it to control the volume, but the chimes and the stereo vol. are not seperated so you can turn it down but have to deal with a quiet stereo or turn it up and have to deal with chimes that can be herd a block away (no joke). I went with the loud chimes and learned to put my seatbelt on before I put the keys in the ignition. Opening the trunk or the door while the car is running is another matter all together, no way to avoid that
Old 12-29-2007, 11:51 PM

I have heard the '05s? and '06s do not need the GMOS.

I need the dimmer signal because the display is too damn bright for night when in day mode.

Here is something else I just thought of. If I don't need the GMOS where do the chimes get into the system? Straight to the amp? If so I would need one anyway because I plan on taking the amp out of the equation.

[Edit] Also as a little side note. I have not seen the specifics of the GMOS but I think you can just wire it up to it's own speaker. You can get a single speaker at walmart for $10. If it does indeed need an amp to drive it you can find little circuit board amps for around $20. And mount it all up under the dash somewhere.

Last edited by Preowner; 12-30-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
ive never used the dimmer wire
Old 12-30-2007, 06:45 AM

ur installing a system right? on my 06 i have an eclipse headunit, and i went to www.crutchfield.com and bought the regular harness n install kit n it was like 35 bucks shipped. no cel, no problems.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:43 AM

The GMOS hooks your stock amp to the RCA outs on the back of your HU, so if you are planning to use an aftermarket amp and front end then you will not get the chimes. Its the next step in my system along with getting rid of the back deck lid and the many rattles it brings along with it. As for neededing the GMOS or not I don't know if the 06 and the 07 are different, I know the Canadian and American version have some differences. You can buy just the chime kits for cheap, Best Buy sells them.
I have also seen a re-locater that allows you to put your stock HU in the trunk so you can keep all the functions that it has, but still run an aftermarket HU, if you planned on bypassing the stock amp the you only need three wires for the new one to work (power, const. power, ground) plus remote and RCA's. The other problem I ran into was the antenna, mine came with XM so the plug is different than most. I am still looking for a adapter that fits, I don't use the rario much anyway
Old 12-30-2007, 05:46 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
stock hu doesnt have rcas
Old 12-30-2007, 11:34 PM

The GMOS hooks your stock amp to the RCA outs on the back of your HU, so if you are planning to use an aftermarket amp and front end
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear, What I was trying say was that the GMOS alows your stock amp to hook up to aftermarket HU via 2 pair of RCA's. The GMOS converts speaker wire from the dash (the plug that goes into your stock HU) into RCA's to allow you to integrate aftermarket head units with the stock amp
NOTE- It does not allow you to run the stock sub and also remember all the speakers (pioneer) are 2ohms so if your putting in a new amp but keeping the stock speakers keep it in mind.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spun
Sorry I guess I wasn't clear, What I was trying say was that the GMOS alows your stock amp to hook up to aftermarket HU via 2 pair of RCA's. The GMOS converts speaker wire from the dash (the plug that goes into your stock HU) into RCA's to allow you to integrate aftermarket head units with the stock amp
NOTE- It does not allow you to run the stock sub and also remember all the speakers (pioneer) are 2ohms so if your putting in a new amp but keeping the stock speakers keep it in mind.
Stock sub:
I thought the sub signal was split from the 4 channels IN the amp with internal crossovers.

Stock speakers:
Yeah I Planned to use the aftermarket HUs internal amp. and replace it all besides the sub with 4ohm.

The HU also has full stereo front, rear, and sub preamp/rca outs. I was hoping I could use the sub RCAs to hook to the stock amp, thus powering the sub. Also wire a speaker for chimes to one of the then unused front/rear channels on the stock amp which should have most of those sub frequencies filtered out of those channels. Thats all Iffy though. and also assuming the amp on 06 cars get the chimes directly from the source.

As for the topic, has noone gotten a usable dimmer output in their cobalts for a HU?
Old 01-01-2008, 04:29 PM

Sorry I guess we got off topic. I read about a guy with a corvette warns of tapping into lines for a dimmer switch, stating the it overloads the the diplay and shuts off all the lights. He made his own relay but warned its not for the faint of heart
Heres the link
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/f5/af...circuit-56332/
Old 01-03-2008, 10:36 AM

Very nice!

Even though the schematic image in that post is a I think I get the point. Anyone know if the cobalt dash lights are veriable by PWM? If so that would not be so good to put to a head unit. Maybe could put in a small capacitor to flatten it out for a simple on or off mosfet output. A diode would probably be needed so the cap doesn't discharge through the lights too.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:39 PM

There is an "Interior Lights" fuse in the center console that I may try to tap from. Parts Express has "add a circuit" kits for the mini fuses that cobalts use... A little expensive at $12 a piece. I will need 2 so I can get an accessory/HU turn on wire also.

On a side note, I pulled the stereo out and still had chimes. Even pulled the amp fuse. It sounds like the chimes come from a seperate speaker behind the gauge cluster. So in my case the chimes have nothing to do with the stereo system.

I'm excited. This all might just work.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:20 AM

okay this is how i did it, i ran the dimmer wire from the harness from the hu all the way to the driver side pillar. take off the pillar. now there is four wires. one is power one is ground one is signal wire ond the other one is like the control wire that tells the gauge when to turn on and off and dim, splice the dimmer wire into that and you have a dimmer.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:05 PM

Interesting. I'm sure those wires are accessable from under the dash, but there are probably about 30 other wires the same color under there.