Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

JRANGER Starts His Fiberglass Sub Box

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do you use to mold the side part that bridges between the wood? ( the part you can see through in the last pic
Old 03-21-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fiberglass.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Its just fiberglass. Essentially the best thing to do is cut the back piece o wood all the way across then you just start fiberglassing it while its in your trunk. Look at the first page and you can see where I was doing this. You put 2 - 3 layers on while its in your trunk and let it set. Then you remove it from the trunk and add more layers to the inside of where you molded it to your trunk
Old 03-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by JRANGER
Its just fiberglass. Essentially the best thing to do is cut the back piece o wood all the way across then you just start fiberglassing it while its in your trunk. Look at the first page and you can see where I was doing this. You put 2 - 3 layers on while its in your trunk and let it set. Then you remove it from the trunk and add more layers to the inside of where you molded it to your trunk
ok cool i just thought it might adhear to the carpet of the trunk then again it would just be smart to take the carpet out
Old 03-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by elecblue06
ok cool i just thought it might adhear to the carpet of the trunk then again it would just be smart to take the carpet out

well yea it will adhere and you wont get it off. If you looked at the pics on page one you will notice blue tape all over where I was doing fiberglass. I simply bought blue painters tape and put 2 or 3 layers of tape on the carpet. That way it will pull right off the carpet. So yea dont fiberglass to the carpet
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Looking good so far man!!!

What I'm wondering is, after you put in a custom fit enclosure like this, what happens when you need to get to the spare wheel or the battery?

I might be ready to build my own fiberglass box in around 5 years!
Hope you guys are around to mentor me at that time :P :P
Not kidding, I'm trying to read up on it as much as possible.
And its expensive, so I don't wanna f**k up.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 PM

well it depends on how big you build the box.. Im pretty sure impulse can get to his still and I think I will still be able to get to mine pretty easily too. I just have to break the boarding under the carpet so i can bend it up in front of the sub box As far as cost I am thinking I have only put like $200 into this as far as supplies...so its not incredibly expensive but it takes alot of time. What cost alot is if you need tools, I spent about $200 on tools but that is only because I didnt listen to impulse and start witha Router and bought a rotozip first...
Old 03-21-2008, 10:24 PM

Another good trick so you don't have to find with peeling the painters tape off is use aluminum foil. Tape down (really good taped down) large pieces of aluminum foil. It peels right off the foil.

I'm gunna do mine in the rear wheel well areas as soon as it's warm enough here to fiberglass it in the car completely. It's still to cold for the glass to cure overnight and I can't bring the resin into my apartment. Neighbors complain and the cats try to eat it... no good.

Looks great though. You gunna paint or carpet it?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:36 PM

Im going to paint it Metalic Blue Flake....I will either carpet the back or just get some thing board to carpet and put over the back for when i pull down the back seats I will more then likely be able to start painting next week.

I just realized in my old setup in my mustang I had about the same volume and the box was not ported..It sounded awesome......Do you think it would still sound real good without porting it emperor? I might just paint the box and give it a try and if I dont like the sound go ahead and port it since I bought the ports

Last edited by JRANGER; 03-21-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I would say you would get a tighter bass response with leaving it sealed. Porting it in my opinion would be a big hassle for a gain in db's.

What do you want out of the system? Volume (Loudness) or crisp tight bass?
Old 03-21-2008, 10:49 PM

Well I like it loud and getting good response...The thing is the specs of the sub of r a sealed box are max of 1.25 cu ft. So 3 cu ft for both. My box is 4 and Im thinking I will get good response and alot of sound from them. I want to bump!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2008, 10:53 PM

I think they would sound alright either way. It will definately hit hard.

I'm using 2 10" JL Audio W3v2s and I'm keeping mine sealed. I had loud once and don't ever need a system to be that loud again.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:56 PM

lol yea, I am going to give it a shot
Old 03-21-2008, 11:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Switt23
I think they would sound alright either way. It will definately hit hard.

I'm using 2 10" JL Audio W3v2s and I'm keeping mine sealed. I had loud once and don't ever need a system to be that loud again.
i have those exact subs...and let me tell you...f'in fantastic subs...tight as **** and they pound. i got them hooked up to the JL A1800 gettin 500 watts rms each. It's still untuned bc I can't find my dmm. Gain is turned all the way down pretty much atm and they still hit. mine is sealed to spec.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:30 PM

I think mine might be a little smaller than specs as like i said I plan on glassing the sides of the trunk so I can still use the trunk space for golf clubs or the occasional need to fold the seats down and transport something longer in size.

I had 2 12" in the powersledge box before and with 200 watts a piece they pounded like crazy. My LOUD system was 2 12" kicker L5s in a massive ported box with 2 Kicker 1000.1s. Hit like 149-151dbs depending on the mic. My dad and I tested it on the street and you could hear me driving down the road, over 4.5 blocks away.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:16 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
a bigger sealed box will be sloppy.... u can always try sealed and port if you dont like it
Old 03-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Switt23
I think mine might be a little smaller than specs as like i said I plan on glassing the sides of the trunk so I can still use the trunk space for golf clubs or the occasional need to fold the seats down and transport something longer in size.

I had 2 12" in the powersledge box before and with 200 watts a piece they pounded like crazy. My LOUD system was 2 12" kicker L5s in a massive ported box with 2 Kicker 1000.1s. Hit like 149-151dbs depending on the mic. My dad and I tested it on the street and you could hear me driving down the road, over 4.5 blocks away.
oh god...yeah i can't stand that. i like my hearing. all i want is a good quality bass. i don't give a **** if people can hear it outside my car even though you can.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:56 PM

I was young and dumb. Thought it was funny to set all the car alarms off at school and then speed off. I have definately matured a lot since then and Will be going for SQ.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
oh god...yeah i can't stand that. i like my hearing. all i want is a good quality bass. i don't give a **** if people can hear it outside my car even though you can.
sound dampneing will make it so u cant hear it outside the car
Old 03-22-2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
He speaks the truth. With my very loud and clear system, very sound dampened, with the windows rolled up you can only hear it if you are near the glass. With the windows down you can only hear it if you are by the open window. Behind or infront of the car its nearly silent.

In the car is insane! Hits so hard it hurts.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:46 PM

told ya it was worth it and u would like it
Old 03-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
yeah i know that dude i never stated otherwise. the only time i would ever drop money on sound proofing was if something was rattling really bad. otherwise it's just a waste of money.
Old 03-22-2008, 11:04 PM

I beg to differ
Old 03-23-2008, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
yeah i know that dude i never stated otherwise. the only time i would ever drop money on sound proofing was if something was rattling really bad. otherwise it's just a waste of money.
WOW! You couldn't be more wrong! Unless you have some sort of damping material in your trunk, you have no idea how good your subs are capable of sounding! In fact, I would say someone with a single sub setup with a decent amount of damping will get just as much punch as someone with 2 of the same subs and no damping material. As stated on a box of Dynamat Xtreme, "Dynamat creates a sonic barrier restoring 3,6, or even 12dB of lost dynamic range. Gaining 3dB is like doubling your effective amplifier power. And that means YOU HEAR MORE MUSIC!" If anything, you wasted your money on that second sub and all that fiberglass, carbon fiber and resin! Although it does look really good. LOL
Old 03-23-2008, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
WOW! You couldn't be more wrong! Unless you have some sort of damping material in your trunk, you have no idea how good your subs are capable of sounding! In fact, I would say someone with a single sub setup with a decent amount of damping will get just as much punch as someone with 2 of the same subs and no damping material. As stated on a box of Dynamat Xtreme, "Dynamat creates a sonic barrier restoring 3,6, or even 12dB of lost dynamic range. Gaining 3dB is like doubling your effective amplifier power. And that means YOU HEAR MORE MUSIC!" If anything, you wasted your money on that second sub and all that fiberglass, carbon fiber and resin! Although it does look really good. LOL
Bumpin all though I share your entusiasm for music and understand where your coming from its not a waste when it comes to his or my box. Building things by hand such as a box give you a since of accomplishment. Certain people enjoy doing things like that plus by we spend no more money on our boxes then you would on a MDF box you buy at Circuit City or wherever. Granted there is alot of time and effort but you get a custom look and when it sounds great you know its because you made it sound good not because you bought the sound. I want to do sound dampening in my car but I cant afford it. At the time I started this box I could, but now I can't. Luckily with my income tax return I got some body filler and that all I really needed to finish up my box other then some paint.

Quick Reply: JRANGER Starts His Fiberglass Sub Box