Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Keep Blowing Subs

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep Blowing Subs

Headunit: Pioneer AVIC X920BT

Amplifier: Pioneer GM-D7500M - Class-D Mono Amplifier with 800 watts Max. 400 Watts x 1 @ 2 ohms

Subwoofer: Pioneer TS-W308D4 12" DVC 4 ohm Subwoofer. 1400 watts peak. 400 watts RMS.

Amp Wiring Kit: Scosche 680W 8-Gauge Wiring Kit for Single Amps

I had a cheaper Pioneer sub before, & I blew that in 2 days, but I had this subwoofer about 1 month before I blew it. I was listening to White Girl by Jeezy pretty loud & it started to smell... :/ That song has soooo much bass.

The amp's gain is set directly in the middle, no bass boost on amp, no bass boost from radio, subwoofer level set anwhere from -4 - 0 on the headunit.

I'm buying a new 4 gauge amp wiring kit & I'm trying the same subwoofer & amp again. The sub was in a sealed box, but I bought another sealed box because this one is better.

Why do you guys think I'm blowing the sub? Too loud & too long & too much bass?

Thank-you!
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pushing it too hard, over powereing, improper wiring, inferior product, etc can all cause a subwoofer to blow.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:28 AM

Yea, well I think that the amp & sub are a good match. Based on the RMS watts... I think I may be pushing them too hard, but isn't that the purpose of subs? Or the products just can't handle the constant abuse of me. If that's true I will buy a badass amp and 1 Fi 12" sub & that will last me forever. Haha.

Anybody else?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:34 AM

Double check your wiring to make sure the impedance is correct. Thats the quickest way to blow out guitar cab speakers (connecting the amp via the wrong impedance) - and I can't imagine its any different here. Ensure that you wired it correctly for what the speaker can handle. Ensure that the impedance youre sending doesnt change the actual wattage the amp is putting out.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by thisperishedmin
Double check your wiring to make sure the impedance is correct. Thats the quickest way to blow out guitar cab speakers (connecting the amp via the wrong impedance) - and I can't imagine its any different here. Ensure that you wired it correctly for what the speaker can handle. Ensure that the impedance youre sending doesnt change the actual wattage the amp is putting out.
I wired it exactly as Crutchfield had it for a DVC 4 ohm sub for the amp giving out 2 ohms.

That's exactly how I wired it. I wired it for 2 ohms so the amp can send out 400 rms & that's what the sub puts out too.

Thanks man!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 836 Likes on 733 Posts
Check your gain settings. heres a link to another forum on a how to set gain correctly

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...r/65167/page/1

Another question do you just turn your sub up full right away? or give the cone a little to warm up (min or 2 before full volume).

I have a older Alpine Type R 12inch and have had great luck with it, they have made improvements on them in the last year or so. If you're looking into another sub i'd recommend looking into them (yes i'm bias to my sub)
Old 12-14-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by blackonblack07
Check your gain settings. heres a link to another forum on a how to set gain correctly

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre...r/65167/page/1

Another question do you just turn your sub up full right away? or give the cone a little to warm up (min or 2 before full volume).

I have a older Alpine Type R 12inch and have had great luck with it, they have made improvements on them in the last year or so. If you're looking into another sub i'd recommend looking into them (yes i'm bias to my sub)
I broke it in properly. Played it for a while at low-medium volumes. And I will have to check the gain when I wire it all back up, but the gain was set by a car audiophile that works at a audio install/alarm install shop. But I will check it out & see.

Thanks man! I have heard good things about Alpine.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:54 PM

"1400 watts peak. 400 watts RMS."

you have got to be kidding me.

your producing distortion, could be cause from improper tuning of the amplifier, low voltage of the vehicle, not wore correctly, incorrect airspace for the sub. But the equipment you have purchased is known not to last.

do you know what distortion sounds like?

Last edited by Cefaln452; 12-14-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost