Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Muffled speaker...could head unit be to blame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffled speaker...could head unit be to blame?

Awhile back my front driver-side speaker cut out completely, which of course meant no turn signal sounds. Eventually it came back on but sounded muffled/quieter/lacking in bass/highs compared to the passenger-side speaker. This past spring before my warranty expired I complained to the dealer about it and they accidentally replaced the passenger-side speaker instead. I brought it back and they claimed to have then replaced the correct (driver-side) speaker. However after that visit it still sounded bad, but I didn't return immediately because at the time I lived far away from the dealer and didn't feel like going through the hassle of another couple visits.

So now it's 5-6 months later and I'd like to get this taken care of. Would you suspect that the dealer didn't actually replace the correct speaker on the second visit, or that the head unit is maybe to blame instead? I wasn't sure if the head unit could typically be the cause of this sort of problem. Also do you think the dealer would still replace the speaker again or the head unit for free even though I waited this long since the initial fix?

Apparently I already asked about this back then but failed to follow up: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/elec...treble-212463/. This is an 07 LS coupe, so I'm assuming I don't have the Pioneer audio system.

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by archcommus; 10-05-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
speaker is probably blown like u assumed. id just go out and buy new speakers for the front and be done with it
Old 10-05-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
speaker is probably blown like u assumed. id just go out and buy new speakers for the front and be done with it
Thanks for the reply, I think I'd just like to do this, skip the dealer interaction, and get better speakers in the process. What are the best speakers I can get that the stock head unit could handle? I would hate to have to replace that since functionality-wise it's fine, I mostly only use it for its aux pass-through.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:58 AM

what i personally would say the best speakers to go with are the hertz energy 6.5 co-ax but theres many good speakers out there. everyones ears and tastes are different so if you can hearing a few sets would be a good idea
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
what i personally would say the best speakers to go with are the hertz energy 6.5 co-ax but theres many good speakers out there. everyones ears and tastes are different so if you can hearing a few sets would be a good idea
Thanks. Would those speakers require a new head unit or additional amp though? I would like to get something that the stock head unit could drive alone, if possible. I don't know where is a good place to go and sample these except for somewhere like Best Buy, which is always a painful experience that I try to avoid.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by archcommus
Thanks. Would those speakers require a new head unit or additional amp though? I would like to get something that the stock head unit could drive alone, if possible. I don't know where is a good place to go and sample these except for somewhere like Best Buy, which is always a painful experience that I try to avoid.
If you're going to best buy and like the bass, go with a set of Alpine Type-R 6.5 component speakers. They don't take too much power to push them and their Type-S handles even less power, but they aren't as durable as the Type-R. If you want mostly treble from your speakers, then get some Infinity speakers, they handle the stock head unit and sound great. You can get all of these at Best Buy if you're wanting them now. Otherwise, go with the suggestion of the 6.5 inch speaker mentioned by Emperor. That's a competition component speaker and will probably require an amp to sound really good and you'll have to order it online.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:46 AM

as long as your looking at co-ax speakers then you will be fine running them off the radio alone. to be honest no vocal speaker "requires" an amp, component sets really just sound a lot better with one.

not sure where in philly you would be able to get hertz because they are pretty exclusive but they are definitely worth it.