Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Radio Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Radio Fuse

Hey all, I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC with the factory pioneer system. It does not have on star. My problem is the radio fuse keeps blowing #23 in the passenger center kick panel. The radio works fine I'll put a new mini fuse (15 amp) in it and it will work fine and I'll go inside and I might come out the next day to leave in the car and the radio will not work again until I replace the fuse. The fuses don't even appear blown when I remove them either. I removed the radio today thanks to the wonderful write up on this forum! Everything seemed good behind the radio. I just bought this car so I'm still finding things on it that have been done. Here is some information that may or may not have to do with my radio fuse blowing. In the trunk there is a Scosche FAI-3A mounted in there with the two dead speaker wires running into it and nothing else. Also there is a wire up in the fuse box going into the sunroof fuse that wasn't taped and I taped it and I'm still the blowing fuse. Not sure where the wire that's in the sunroof fuse is going possibly the toggle switch on my dash that turns the eyes on my headlights on? Anyone have any insight as what to do? I'm wanting to replace the factory head unit with a pioneer or alpine navigation unit here in the future so if it's a problem with the head unit itself then I'd like to know or if it's something different so that I can get that addressed before I go installing new items. Someone please chime in. Thanks for reading!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenStang
Hey all, I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC with the factory pioneer system. It does not have on star. My problem is the radio fuse keeps blowing #23 in the passenger center kick panel. The radio works fine I'll put a new mini fuse (15 amp) in it and it will work fine and I'll go inside and I might come out the next day to leave in the car and the radio will not work again until I replace the fuse. The fuses don't even appear blown when I remove them either. I removed the radio today thanks to the wonderful write up on this forum! Everything seemed good behind the radio. I just bought this car so I'm still finding things on it that have been done. Here is some information that may or may not have to do with my radio fuse blowing. In the trunk there is a Scosche FAI-3A mounted in there with the two dead speaker wires running into it and nothing else. Also there is a wire up in the fuse box going into the sunroof fuse that wasn't taped and I taped it and I'm still the blowing fuse. Not sure where the wire that's in the sunroof fuse is going possibly the toggle switch on my dash that turns the eyes on my headlights on? Anyone have any insight as what to do? I'm wanting to replace the factory head unit with a pioneer or alpine navigation unit here in the future so if it's a problem with the head unit itself then I'd like to know or if it's something different so that I can get that addressed before I go installing new items. Someone please chime in. Thanks for reading!
I believe you’re having the same problem I have with my boost gauge/wiper motor fuse now I think of it my radio will stop randomly then come back on within a few minutes but it’s not a factory radio and I was not it’s installer. Anyways back to the subject at hand one day it’s perfect next day nothing, the fuse is perfect double checked with a quick DMM resistance test but what I assumed my problem was and likely yours too is the fuse box itself warps slightly with temperature change, enough to not make a connection and all I did was slightly twist the tabs on the fuse and as long as I’m not blasting floor heat I’ve had no issues. I hope this solves your problem if you’re still seeking answers and if not hopefully it’ll help someone else out. I understand this is an older post but I figured it might help someone out as I myself have gotten a lot of great info about my SS/SC from posts from 2007 and older! As for aftermarket electronics you didn’t install I personally would ditch them, mine had neon and crap wired into the fog lights and I don’t need wiring headaches I just wanna go fast like everyone else so that crap has long been disposed of.
thanks for reading sorry I’m a rambler but boost onwards my friends!
Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
i would try removing the Scosche unit. if the wires end up touching each other or some other piece of metal in the car it could cause an issue with the amp/radio and blow the fuse.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Go-Balt SS
is the fuse box itself warps slightly with temperature change, enough to not make a connection and all I did was slightly twist the tabs on the fuse and as long as I’m not blasting floor heat I’ve had no issues. I hope this solves your problem if you’re still seeking answers and if not hopefully it’ll help someone else out. I understand this is an older post but I figured it might help someone out

I have an aftermarket radio and this helped my problems thank you!