Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

short to ground ? help !

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
short to ground ? help !

so for a while ive had a few codes.. maf(low input ), evap, o2 sensor bank one, clutch switch, and occasionally the "service air bags" light comes on ..and sometimes my car wont even start without jiggling stuff around (fuze box ..gauge wires ..stuff like that) for the longest time i thought i had a vac leak that i couldnt find or something but now that i realize all of these sensors and problems ive mentioned are in the same circuit area of the car ..and im getting the low input to maf code im assuming its a short to ground but want to see if anyone else agrees being im not very electronically inclined..if so how do i find this sucker with out having to run everywire…ive seen people use like a transmitter that runs from the fuse thats shorting out and u just run it around the wires untill it stops being ..but none of my fuses are blown soo how would i run a test like that? any help ..any experience finding shorts anyone has experience would be a great help ..i hate electrically issues lol ..thankz ahead !
Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Most likely a lose ground if you don't have a blown fuse anywhere.
Pull the fuse box out and clean the contacts, and check your battery connections.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM

I just took out the fuse box and cleaned it up a bit put it back and it got worse and better at the same time .. After reinstalling the fuse box and replacing the emissions fuse that was blown the car barley ran .. But it was atleast reporting data from the maf .. Super low but still data finally .. Only code that went off was o2 bank one sensor one high voltage but data sempt pretty steady .. Sensor 2 on thw other hand was jumping from 1 to 7 volts .. Car will only run with maf unplugged .. Unplugging o2 has no effect .. Battery seems good 12 at off and 14.5 ish running .. Any input please..
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM

bump!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:20 AM

urgh..car barely starts now..like every single time i turn the car off and go to turn it back on it shows the little immobilizer light and i have to go shake up the drivers side of the engine bay..mainly i push around on the fuze box and pull or push on random harness wires in the area and go back to try n start it ..after a few trys it starts but sucks ..also the power steering and service airbags notice keeps coming up ..loosing my mind trying to find this short..could i have a bad fuse box? anyone ..pleaseeeeeee
Old 06-25-2013, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I guess you will just have to start pulling harnesses and looking for cut or worn down wire insulation. That sounds like a sucky deal man. Sorry. If you have to be wiggling the fuse box, I would start tracing it from there. I worked on a boom lift (snorkel lift) for a couple days and could not nail down a no start problem and it turned out to be a bad circuit breaker that would not trip, but would just limit the volts it would pass through.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wired
I guess you will just have to start pulling harnesses and looking for cut or worn down wire insulation. That sounds like a sucky deal man. Sorry. If you have to be wiggling the fuse box, I would start tracing it from there. I worked on a boom lift (snorkel lift) for a couple days and could not nail down a no start problem and it turned out to be a bad circuit breaker that would not trip, but would just limit the volts it would pass through.
ya man looks like thats what i have to do and so dreading it ..i just got in from taking most of the harness out and inspecting most of whats visible ..i did find a wire about 2 inchs prior to the first coil that was worn down enouph to where i can see the wire ..after discovering it i the car did start right up but still runs with low input to the maf ..even when pulled away from the other wires ..so maybe i have another one grounding out somewhere too that i cant find ..unless that worn down wire can effect things without it being in contact with anything? ..

ps.. nice f*&*ing sig dude! ..69 gto ..
Old 06-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
Looks like some ******* had to work over time and was pissed so he effed up ur car when he was putting the wiring in