Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

tweeters too bright

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
tweeters too bright

been having a little issue with my setup with the tweeters being too bright, was wondering what i can do to knock em down a bit. here is my setup

pioneer premier deh-940mp head unit
alpine pdx-5 5 channel amp
pioneer d1720c 6 3/4 components up front
kaption 6x9 rear
jbl gto 1220d 12 in custom box.

as you can tell, my system has been put together over the years, some of it was in my old car years back. the deck is around 8 years old, was a wicked deck in its day (was $1500 retail new), still works well today. the sub also is that old as well, however only had around a years use. was in the last car, it got scrapped and the sub sat around as i ran a kenwood flat in my factory box, and a few months ago i built a box for that sub.

now to the point, i put the new components up front about a month ago and just havent been happy with them. i find on some songs they are so bright it hurts, other songs it sounds great. ive backed the eq way off in the high frequency ranges, it helps a bit, but then other times it sounds like crap. ive also knocked the crossovers down to -3db on the tweets, almost no help there.

im at a bit of a loss at what to do. never had this issue with the old 5 1/4 jbl power series, but a crossover died and i figured time to upgrade. i know these speakers can sound amazing, one frind of mine had 2 sets in the doors of his cavalier, another has a set in his b2200, although those are active crossover/bi-amped (4 channel amp, 2 channels for mids, 2 channels for tweaters running through the crossover). ive been told it may be the placement (stock location), others say to change the deck.

any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:13 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
try moving them down in the panel. or just swapping tweeters
Old 07-02-2012, 03:29 AM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
took it over to a friends so he could have a look, he has been in the audio/video industry for years. after playing with it for about an hour and corrected a few things, however didnt really come to a solid conclusion. we tried placing the tweeters in different locations, and as it did change the sound it didnt really correct the brightness problem. we are planning to try some other tweeters, however he is thinking my deck is on its way out. one of the issues seems to be a lack of eq adjustment, meaning we are changing the eq and not much is happening. for comparison he showed me the same songs in his car and played with his eq and it was quite a difference moving the eq around. my deck still seems to have decent adjustability on the low and mid frequency , however anything about 7500khz seems pretty numb to adjustment, as low as it will go its still ear-piercingly bright. he said he has run into this issue several times before, however all times has been with the low frequency section of the eq going numb.

he suggested swapping another deck in, or run some rcas from his car to my amp to try.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
try grounding the rcas on the deck (from the deck chassis to the rcas sheild) see if that changes anything