Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

what could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what could be wrong?

so i'm driving home and my indash dvd player just shuts off. no lights, no power , no numbers nothing just shuts off. checked the fuses and the wires and cannot find the reason as to why it did it. What could be some things to look for that would help me figure this out?

thanks
Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM

wut brand is it? if the deck is gettin power by the harness. that **** is shot. u check the fuse on the back of the radio?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:57 AM

it's a piece of crap. innovatek? i've never heard of it i was just looking for a cheap thrill at the time. all there is on the back of the deck (radio) is a plug for the harness would i have to open the deck up to see the fuse inside the radio? When i checked the power wire coming from the harness no power is getting to it. is that becuase of something in the line or because as u said illmatic3s that the harness is shot? I also found out that my wippers wont work and everytime i replace the fuse the fuse blows when the car gets turned on so i'm hopping that might be the source of the problem i'll know in a couple days when it gets back from the dealer with them telling my warrenty is over cuz some dumb ass i paid wired off that fuse causing the failure.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM

that harness had to do the job. wut harness did u use. where did u run a new accy wire to? u gotta check ur whole fuse box for blown fuses.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:32 AM

Yeah that sounds like that is the problem. If you wired your accessory wire to your wipers thats probably why they arent working and why it keeps blowing.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:37 PM

but it worked for nearly 2 years before it blew so i dont know if its the whippers. i didnt know much at the time i got the dvd player so paid some1 to do it and they did one hell of a hack job, now i have somewhat of an idea and cant figure it out. i dont think they used a wiring harness i think they just chopped off the plug that sends the signal to the speakers and rewired the harness for the dvd player to it because when i go to put the stock radio back in there is only one plug
Old 03-05-2007, 04:30 PM

maybe a bad ground?
Old 03-05-2007, 10:09 PM

who ever installed the dvd player..get ur money back. take a pic of the wiring job and post it, so we can figure it out.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltss2.4L
but it worked for nearly 2 years before it blew so i dont know if its the whippers. i didnt know much at the time i got the dvd player so paid some1 to do it and they did one hell of a hack job, now i have somewhat of an idea and cant figure it out. i dont think they used a wiring harness i think they just chopped off the plug that sends the signal to the speakers and rewired the harness for the dvd player to it because when i go to put the stock radio back in there is only one plug
Well that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Something can work for a long time before you have major problems. It could be that a wire is grounding out. It could be a bad ground. It could be a short developed in a wire or in a connection. There are tons of things that could go wrong.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got $20 that says this is your problem.

The switched power wire for the dvd player is hooked in through the windshield wiper fuse in the fuse box. That switched power wire has a direct short somewhere, either the wire is touching ground or the radio is shorted internally. Every time the car is started, the fuse blows because of this short.

Trace the wire coming from the fuse box to the radio and I'll bet you find it grounded out somewhere. If not, unplug the dvd player, replace the fuse, and start the car. If the fuse doesn't blow, it means the short is internal in the dvd player.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:53 AM

i replaced the fuse and powered up the car and still "pop" i think the wippers are separate from the problem, ill find out today when i get it back from the dealer. ya the people i went thru ripped me off hardcore at the time i was new and had no clue about anything just wanted teh stuff in my car and was too excited to shop around went to the first place that could take me (my mistake) atleast now i know what not to do.

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
who ever installed the dvd player..get ur money back. take a pic of the wiring job and post it, so we can figure it out.
how would i get my money back it was done back like a year and half? What do i go to the place and say "hey i finally figured out u screwed me and wired all my stuff wrong"? or are they gonna look at me and say "go f urself" cuz i've looked everywhere and cant even find the damn recite.

I got a call from my parents and they said the short is from the yellow wire coming off the fuse. i don't know what the yellow wire is wouldnt they use red to power something or is it just me being a ******* just thinking that? I'm waiting for the guy to call me so i can ask some more questions to post back to you guys.

Last edited by cobaltss2.4L; 03-06-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2007, 09:29 AM

yeah it is def that fuse. the wipers have a switched power all the time when using them and not using them. thats wut is blowing fuses. u have a sunroof fuse, if so put it to that. that mite just do the job
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM

am i able to go back to the company tho. i brought it back once last year because a dealership told me they spliced wires and the company said they did no such thing bla bla bla and now this all happens and its because they spliced or am i just **** out of luck and 400 bucks to fix my car

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
yeah it is def that fuse. the wipers have a switched power all the time when using them and not using them. thats wut is blowing fuses. u have a sunroof fuse, if so put it to that. that mite just do the job

so wire it to the sunroof cuz that only gets power when u push the button? is that what ur saying?

Last edited by cobaltss2.4L; 03-06-2007 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-06-2007, 11:42 AM

first of all they shud never cut off a stock plug for the stock radio, thats y brands make wire harnesses so u dont have to re-wire the whole car. u shud have them put back ur stock plug. so they need to make it back to stock. they wud need a rev. harness. they prolly didnt have the harness at the time and prolly told u they did and just ur **** apart. the sunroof fuse has a constant switch power. ur accy wire shud be on that fuse. a wiper fuse changes current when in use due to the motors. the sunroof fuse in our car does not.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 PM

apparently they wired my power convertor and dvd player off that fuse to the wippers, the dealer fixed the wippers took ou the power convertor that shorted out. ( don't really know why it shorted out as it hasnt been used in a good 3-4 months as its too cold to keep my playstation in. anyone have a idea as to why it did?) when they took the power convertor out i guess the dvd player got power again......... any1 want to explain what happened to me cuz i dont understand why they would run 2 things off the same fuse
Old 03-06-2007, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobaltss2.4L
apparently they wired my power convertor and dvd player off that fuse to the wippers, the dealer fixed the wippers took ou the power convertor that shorted out. ( don't really know why it shorted out as it hasnt been used in a good 3-4 months as its too cold to keep my playstation in. anyone have a idea as to why it did?) when they took the power convertor out i guess the dvd player got power again......... any1 want to explain what happened to me cuz i dont understand why they would run 2 things off the same fuse
Read the post I wrote last night. I explained everything there. The wiper fuse was tapped for the power, and the shorted power converter is what was popping the fuse. With the wiper fuse popped, the dvd player wasn't getting any juice.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 AM

ya i went to the place that did the install they were argueing at first until i brought them outside to my car. open up the plastic to look at the fuses tell him which one they spliced and hes like no and im like ok whats this wire and hes like "that's the dvd player if i unhook it the dvd player shuts off" i'm like nah thats the power convertor and hes like ok turn ur car on turn it on and he unhooks it and my dvd player stays on. the look on his face was priceless. so needless to say that it cost me 371$ from the dealership to fix my wippers cuz of this but i got a new free powerconvertor and they are goign and fixing all the half ass things they did to my car for free as well as fixing the harness they cut. so all in all i think everything worked out besides having to pay the damn dealership.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM

they should have payed fo the fix, i would go to them (the install place) with the recept from the dealer and threaten legal action if they dont pay for it and hope for the best
Old 03-07-2007, 08:45 AM

sry dont know y it double posted...
Old 03-07-2007, 10:11 AM

honestly im not one to get into something like that, i made the choice of the place doing the install i pay the price for doing that. they are fixing what they did and that's all i can ask for. to go and ask them to pay for the wipers would be too much of a pain in the ass.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out with this i appreciate it.