Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Where the eff is the stock amp???!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where the eff is the stock amp???!

Ok itws like 3am and ive already installed my subwoofer, components, and amps but now i need a spot to get the LOC off the front channel (using stock h/u until i get the installations kit and such.

so just one question wheres the stock amp? im tired of search through the forums and too lazy to rip apart more of my car if i dont have to.

if you were wondering....... Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 1.25^3ft ported to 23hz, Elemental designs nine.2x at 4ohm roughly 800wrms, hifonics nemesis 20th annv. 200x2 at 2ohm, CDT HD's 6.5inch satnet560 passive crossovers
Old 06-24-2008, 03:01 AM

I think it's under the drivers side dash.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 AM

i need a definite answer.

cmon guys anyone know???????

Last edited by KillinKrullin; 06-24-2008 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 AM

Dude just remove that cover. It's not freaking hard.

Get a flashlight and start peeking around.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
its under the drivers side steering column. silver box about the size of a vhs tape. its bolted in as well btw
Old 06-24-2008, 09:26 AM

Being an installer, this I know...in the cobalts you will want to run your amp high level and ditch the LOC if using the factory deck. That is, if your amp excepts a high-level input.

The high-level output from even the base decks is pretty impressive when just adding subs to it.

Unless you have a decent LOC, such as a PAC SNI-35 or better, with adjustable outputs...the high-level will do the same thing, but cost you nothing.

I install all day everyday, in case you needed to know.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:04 AM

the LOC's are not permanent, the stock deck is not permanent. this is just so i can atleast listen to my equipment. using Soundgate locx 2 channels x2 one for substage, one for front stage, they do have level matching gain pot's for each channel. and im sure the signal b4 the amp is substantially better than after the amp... plus its not crossed over, wheres after the amp it is crossed over and that can screw you if say your front speakers play safely down to 60hzand you took the chanel after the amp you cant get down to 60hz only about 100hz which then youd have to cross the substage at 100 which in my extremely low ported box would sound like dog turds.

And i used to install for a big box company when i was 18, i was let go because of "over qualified, not being challenged" AKA Mr. manager wants to keep his job. so i do know what i am doing with this, just felt too lazy after fabricating the doors last night... the 6.5's werent hard but the oversized tweeters i have were a little tough, luckily i found a nice strip of soft plastic that i used as a mounting bracket into the factory screw holes. found a nice place for the crossovers too in the door on the foam.

and if i was trying to run with LOC it would be rf360 or jlcleansweep
Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 AM

lol fosgate 360.2 ftw
Old 06-24-2008, 12:05 PM

alot of people claim best sq loc with the rf360
Old 06-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Signal?

If your running a sub amp why not get the signal off the factory sub wires than at least you have some bass ontrol. just a thought
Old 06-24-2008, 12:22 PM

Oh Yuck! i just took a peak at the damn thing while on break here. that is the dumbest spot for anything that needs to be accessible. bah. now, to take low level or high level. im not too too familiar with LOC's so idk if they have to be on a high level or not....

this is gonna be such a pain in the ass.... all just to have temporary sound. its less trouble with a new headunit.

the subwoofer is off of the sub chanel in the trunk. but thats already using there crossover and junk i dont really care to have.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by KillinKrullin
the LOC's are not permanent, the stock deck is not permanent. and im sure the signal b4 the amp is substantially better than after the amp... plus its not crossed over, wheres after the amp it is crossed over and that can screw you if say your front speakers play safely down to 60hzand you took the chanel after the amp you cant get down to 60hz only about 100hz which then youd have to cross the substage at 100 which in my extremely low ported box would sound like dog turds.

And i used to install for a big box company when i was 18, i was let go because of "over qualified, not being challenged" AKA Mr. manager wants to keep his job. so i do know what i am doing with this, just felt too lazy after fabricating the doors last night... the 6.5's werent hard but the oversized tweeters i have were a little tough, luckily i found a nice strip of soft plastic that i used as a mounting bracket into the factory screw holes. found a nice place for the crossovers too in the door on the foam.

and if i was trying to run with LOC it would be rf360 or jlcleansweep

???

You dont use LOC's with the cleansweep or the rockford unit, they are essentially the line in with all your outputs.

and you can't grab the signal at the radio if the car has a factory amp, you have to go after the amp. Doing high-level with no LOC off the factory sub, if available is the best option, being your set-up is temporary. Why waste $$ on an LOC if it is only going to be temporary, if the amp excepts high-level???
Old 06-24-2008, 02:40 PM

I tried installing a new Sony head unit and it turned on and everything but i got no sound.........Why is this??
Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Oh Yuck! i just took a peak at the damn thing while on break here. that is the dumbest spot for anything that needs to be accessible. bah. now, to take low level or high level. im not too too familiar with LOC's so idk if they have to be on a high level or not....

this is gonna be such a pain in the ass.... all just to have temporary sound. its less trouble with a new headunit.

the subwoofer is off of the sub chanel in the trunk. but thats already using there crossover and junk i dont really care to have.

You used to install but you're not familiar with LOC's???

Anyhow, if your amp has high-level inputs (usually off a seperate smaller 4-6 pin plug), you just have to tap into any ONE of the speaker leads that are full range or crossed over as subs. Factory sub lines would be best; then just extend those lines to where you are mounting your amp, connect those lines to the plug that goes to the high-level spot on the amp (if available) and that's it. Of course if your amp doesn't have a high-level option, you have to do an LOC.

High-level is the amplifiers outputs and low-level is what the LOC turns the high level signal you tap into for the audio signal to the amp.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You used to install but you're not familiar with LOC's???
Back in the day these things were considered cheating and were generally viewed as Mickey Mouse.
Infact most people went for decks with 4 volt preouts or better
Old 06-24-2008, 06:26 PM

OMFG you guys arent understanding, im not a noob. what i ment by "not familiar" is im not the guru of LOCs because in my eyes they all suck.

the question was i would like the low levels because they are going to be cleaner then after the amp, but i dont want to splice rcas's in because im going to be using the rca's as soon as i get the dash kit for my car. so with that said im not the guru of loc's and i know these have potentiometers on them and i didnt know if there was any kind of boost or gain the low levels (if they are lower than the acceptable 4v) and if some one had that knowledge they could share it so i wouldnt have to go re-invent the wheel as i go testing and probing.

jblcleansweep and RF3sixty.4 = line output converters + processor. thanx have a nice day

i can grab the signal if the LOC will run wide open and the low level line are acceptable 4V, if they are below there would have to be a gain or boost within the LOC. i dont want to splice RCAs in

If my amps too high level then we wouldnt be having this discussion, show some respect

oh btw i have a bachelors in electronic engineering, and ive made my own tube amps and passive crossovers b4

from this experience i have learned that if you ask a question about something everybody else assumes you know nothing about the topic and talks to you like a baby.

within that, i have learned that i shouldnt ask a group of ego ass clowns a question because they all wanna seem tougher than the next guy.

so much for asking a quick question or two, to make my life easier. next time answer the question and no other crap.

im off to go finish this TEMPORARY install.

and a sincere thank you to EmperorJJ1 for just answering the question and being an all around cool guy.

im gonna stick to my regular forums, you guys can go back to soundomain and bash people there.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:54 PM

OMFG you guys arent understanding, im not a noob. what i ment by "not familiar" is im not the guru of LOCs because in my eyes they all suck.

the question was i would like the low levels because they are going to be cleaner then after the amp, but i dont want to splice rcas's in because im going to be using the rca's as soon as i get the dash kit for my car. so with that said im not the guru of loc's and i know these have potentiometers on them and i didnt know if there was any kind of boost or gain the low levels (if they are lower than the acceptable 4v) and if some one had that knowledge they could share it so i wouldnt have to go re-invent the wheel as i go testing and probing.

jblcleansweep and RF3sixty.4 = line output converters + processor. thanx have a nice day

i can grab the signal if the LOC will run wide open and the low level line are acceptable 4V, if they are below there would have to be a gain or boost within the LOC. i dont want to splice RCAs in

If my amps too high level then we wouldnt be having this discussion, show some respect

oh btw i have a bachelors in electronic engineering, and ive made my own tube amps and passive crossovers b4

from this experience i have learned that if you ask a question about something everybody else assumes you know nothing about the topic and talks to you like a baby.

within that, i have learned that i shouldnt ask a group of ego ass clowns a question because they all wanna seem tougher than the next guy.

so much for asking a quick question or two, to make my life easier. next time answer the question and no other crap.

im off to go finish this TEMPORARY install.

and a sincere thank you to EmperorJJ1 for just answering the question and being an all around cool guy.

im gonna stick to my regular forums, you guys can go back to soundomain and bash people there.

I have no idea what you just said, but it's your car...

I personally was just trying to help, if you took it the wrong way I apologize.

and for those of us who were seemingly giving you other information (other than what it was you were asking), is because 75% of what you have typed, even in this quoted post, is wrong.

If you don't like being corrected, when someone is just trying to help, an online forum is probably a bad place to ask questions.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM

lol....
Old 06-25-2008, 12:00 AM

Who gives a **** about your ******* engineering degree. You asked where to look and we told you. Stop being suck a **** turd and learn your no better than anyone else on this forum. Degree proves nothing just that you went to school like everyone else has.