Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

wiring harness qs?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wiring harness qs?!?!?!?!?

put my audio **** aside for about a year and have a dumb question. I bought this wiring harness and had big trouble with it.

Stereo Radio install Mount Dash Kit +Wire Harness Plug | eBay

done many radio installs and never had issues like these(turn on car speakers and subs pop, same with when i turn the car off). I know the metra 70-2103 is recommended for our cars(premium audio-no onstar/xm). the harness i bought doesnt say metra but it looks like it is. does anyone know if what i have is a metra or not and if i should just go and buy the metra.

any other recommendations would be greatfull!

merry christmas muh ******
Old 12-26-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
is it blue? and what happens? u can get it to turn on but all the speakers just pop?
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
is it blue? and what happens? u can get it to turn on but all the speakers just pop?
its very light blue. and yes the speakers pop and the sub doesnt work now also. draining my battery down as well

can someone tell me which pin the remote lead is in and if the remote leade only goes to the other remote on the harness. Also the ACC(red wire) what all comes in contact with that. As of right now i have it hooked to the acc on the harness as well as the pink wire coming off of the stock harness.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:25 PM

is there any way you could tell me the pinouts on the metra harness, and where each wire goes to on the radio harness?
Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 AM

no i cant. i can tell u the speaker wires are on on either the "a" side or the "b" side not in a square pattern like the gray plug. also the red in the car harness itself should be ripped out, cut off, capped ect and not used. ur remote should go to the blue/white wire off the stereo harness (use solid blue only if no blue/white) and the corresponding color in the cars wires SHOULD be pink (but it might not be so dont take just that)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
no i cant. i can tell u the speaker wires are on on either the "a" side or the "b" side not in a square pattern like the gray plug. also the red in the car harness itself should be ripped out, cut off, capped ect and not used. ur remote should go to the blue/white wire off the stereo harness (use solid blue only if no blue/white) and the corresponding color in the cars wires SHOULD be pink (but it might not be so dont take just that)
so i may have done a few things wrong then but this is the only way i could get the stereo on and to play. i have the obvious basics hooked (contant to constant, ground to ground, speakers to speakers.

here lies the problem. from the stereo i have the red wire(acc) run to the sunroof fuse. my harness came with power antenna(B6 i believe) not remote but its hooked to the remote on the stereo.

with this setup the radio turns on but the only way i can get noise fromt he speakers is i found somewhere to hook the remote to the pink wire on the factory harness but this is where the popping is involved when i turn the radio on or off. also when the car is off and the stereo is off there is a constant humming and crackling noise due to the remote being hooked to the pink wire. this is whats causing my battery to keep dieing on me.

Please let me know if you can solve this issue, thank you for all of your help.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:59 AM

if the power antenna connection didnt work and u had to bypass this to get the amp to turn on then make sure that power antenna connection is disconnected if it isnt already. also test voltage of the remote from the stereo when the stereo is off and see what that says.

what brand stereo is it btw? my best guess at the issue if it isnt that connection above is the stereo
Old 12-27-2011, 02:06 AM

ill check the voltage on that remote tomorrow. the deck is an alpine.

im a bit confused now though, your saying to disconnect the remote turn on from the stereo and keep it connected to the pink wire from the factory harness?

also what were you saying about the red wire not being used, is it correct that i have it connected to the fuse box?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 AM

yes assuming we are on the same page. You hooked up the power antenna from they mystery harness to the remote off the alpine... no sound. you then hooked up the pink wire to the remote off the alpine and u get sound but it has buzzing and popping. The power antenna wire should be the remote since cobalts obviously don't have a power antenna. If its not the pink wire that u used to get sound then it shouldnt be getting voltage so disconnect it. If it is and for some reason theres a problem with the harnesses not getting the power thru then u want to disconnect it as well as to not run power to the problem. Does that make sense?

and yes running the red wire straight to the fuse box from the radio is correct. many incorrectly hook up the red wire in the harness as well causing problems... so as long as its a direct connection without anything else connected then ur good

so assuming those 2 wiring issues are fixed or currently not an issue then i would return ur radio and get a replacement. the issue ur having is ground loop and with a factory amp thats almost impossible if ur wiring is ok, unless the stereo or amp is broken. since this issue just started when swapping radios i severely doubt u broke the factory amp by having it hooked up wrong (but it is still a possibility)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:27 PM

So my remote wire definitely gets power when the cars off how do I fix this?
Old 12-27-2011, 02:33 PM

I disconnected the constant as well and that has power while not hooked up also
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM

to properly fix it u would need a new radio. but the other option u have is hooking that remote to acc so the amp is on when the car is on. if thats the case u really dont want to turn off the radio. mute is a much better option if u need it silent
Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM

Is it still going to drain my battery? And why would I have power when my constant is not connected-constant still receives power
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM

im not even sure what u meant when u said that. ur saying u take the constant yellow wire and disconnect it from the stereo and it still turns on? or...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM

Ground and speaker wires are the only thing connected. Acc, remote, and constant are disconnected. When I tested the constant and the remote they are still giving off power with no source of power to the radio.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 PM

and ur testing the constant on the radio not on the car right?

something makes me think ur harness isnt pinned right but on the other hand idk how it would turn on. id just return the radio junk the harness and go with the metra or schouse one like ur wtb thread
Old 01-01-2012, 03:00 PM

The radio doesn't turn on when I have them disconnected. Yes I tested the radio not the car. So you think the metra will be different? And I can't return the radio it's about 2 years old from my previous car. I know it's the radio because I took it out of my last car and it was working perfect.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:04 PM

to be honest idk. i think were having a miscommunication or something bc nothing ur saying makes much sense at this point. u might just have to take it to a local shop and see what they can do for u