Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring help

So I have a reverse camera set up to a 5pin relay so i can have my camera on all the time and when in reverse. The problem I have is that when I put the reverse light feed to pin 87a my reverse lights are always on.

Heres my set up.

JVC KW-V30BT Radio
12v from wiper fuse(add a fuse)
12v to 86 and 87
Ground to 85
Rev lights to 87a
Camera and headunit feed to 30.

Is there anything wrong with this set up?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:05 PM

Why hook 87a at all? If you want video always on it has nothing to do with reverse lights. If I were you I'd disconnect 87a and call it a day. So disconnect lights and see if it behaves the way you want it to.

And BTW does your camera switch wire throw 12v or ground?
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 AM

At the moment i do have 87a disconnected. Driving at night with reverse lights on dont seem like a good idea. The reason i want to hook up 87a is to have the camera switch on automatically when in reverse. Minor hassle to go through the menu. Camera switch wire does show 12volt when testing before install
Old 12-02-2014, 05:42 PM

If your reverse lights are +12V at rest then do this:
Connect camera switch wire directly to reverse lights.

If your reverse lights are grounded at rest then do this:

86: reverse lights
85: ground
30: camera switch wire
87: ground

Doing this will turn camera on only when reverse lights are on. In other words only when you are in reverse. If this is not what you want let me know
Old 12-02-2014, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I understand correctly you are trying to connect your camera so when you put the car in reverse it pops up on the screen, but you also want to be able to turn it on manually whenever you want right?

If this is so you are over thinking this, badly.

The radio that you have has backup camera functionality (which you have to turn on in the settings)

So follow me here.

The power for your camera should be connected to the ACC wire (red) AT THE BACK of the radio (same wire that is connected to the radio)

Your reverse lights should be hooked up to the purple/white wire coming out of the back of the radio, Labeled REVERSE GEAR INPUT

Your yellow or video wire should hook up to the rear RCA labeled Rear View or Rev or something along those lines.

Ground the black wire for the camera to chassis ground.

This way when you put the car in reverse the HU (Head Unit) will automatically bring up the rear cam.

Now if you want to see what is behind you once you are driving you can manually turn on the rear cam on the HU and turn it off when you're done. No need to run this relay crap and all these extra wires.

Let me know if you need more help

Last edited by Mendomar06; 12-02-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mendomar06
If I understand correctly you are trying to connect your camera so when you put the car in reverse it pops up on the screen, but you also want to be able to turn it on manually whenever you want right?

If this is so you are over thinking this, badly.

The radio that you have has backup camera functionality (which you have to turn on in the settings)

So follow me here.

The power for your camera should be connected to the ACC wire (red) AT THE BACK of the radio (same wire that is connected to the radio)

Your reverse lights should be hooked up to the purple/white wire coming out of the back of the radio, Labeled REVERSE GEAR INPUT

Your yellow or video wire should hook up to the rear RCA labeled Rear View or Rev or something along those lines.

Ground the black wire for the camera to chassis ground.

This way when you put the car in reverse the HU (Head Unit) will automatically bring up the rear cam.

Now if you want to see what is behind you once you are driving you can manually turn on the rear cam on the HU and turn it off when you're done. No need to run this relay crap and all these extra wires.

Let me know if you need more help
ok, seems simple and makes sense, better explanation than what my gf dad was telling me and he knows his stuff lol. ill give it a shot this weekend, its pretty cold here in chicago. Will update as soon as i can
Old 12-06-2014, 04:06 PM

Finally got a chance to work on the car, everything is working fine now after following your steps. Thank you
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem, glad I could be of help