Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

cant get laminova cores out/dual pass

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cant get laminova cores out/dual pass

is there a special way to get these out. im putting my dual pass endplate on and i dont wanna screw it up.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 60 Likes on 60 Posts
Just turn them slightly to break the seal, then pull them out.

I've had good luck wrapping them with a shop rag and grabbing them LIGHTLY with some pliers where they have solid sides to twist them, then they come right out.

I did see on the how-to recently posted that he put a hose clamp on them and used that to pull them out, which seems safer.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:41 PM

i got them out. i used the method you just suggested. i will have the old endplate ready for you in a few days. im going to try to clean up before i ship it out to you.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
they are so soft be careful. The latest trick I have is a proper sized t handle allen wrench from snap on with a soft plastic t handle that just fits inside the bores, twist and extract. doesnt work on two of them without the bores. take themanifold off, and soak it in hot water, that will soften the o rings and make it easier to extract.
DO NOT USE PLIERS the ends are SO FRAGILE and Laminova went out of business so not many parts left.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by AzraelRaezier
i got them out. i used the method you just suggested. i will have the old endplate ready for you in a few days. im going to try to clean up before i ship it out to you.
Doesn't matter, I have to clean them anyway before I can offer them up to the next guy. No reason for you to do extra work.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Powell Race Parts
they are so soft be careful. The latest trick I have is a proper sized t handle allen wrench from snap on with a soft plastic t handle that just fits inside the bores, twist and extract. doesnt work on two of them without the bores. take themanifold off, and soak it in hot water, that will soften the o rings and make it easier to extract.
DO NOT USE PLIERS the ends are SO FRAGILE and Laminova went out of business so not many parts left.
can i submerge the entire manifold in water? will it hurt the laminova cores to be wett on the outside?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM
Former Vendor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
no wont hurt a thing. just dry it off when you are ready to reinstall is all...O and italian joe can use pliers, he has experience, like Jimi.
and soft hands...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 AM

italian joe made my dualpass endplate :P and ive got them swapped. but they were all oiley on the outside. so i think im just gonna submerge it in some hot water and let it soak for a few hours. it wont be going on for antoher week. that should be plenty of time to dry.... can i take all the cores out?

also. can i soak the manifold in any degreaser?

Last edited by AzraelRaezier; 03-28-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 AM

I pull the cores, clean them down with brake cleaner or degreaser and water, and do the manifold. They are always oily inside, poor design but the stock PCV vents right back into the manifold and the oil settles out. I just use a regular degreaser and the hose.

Do be careful not to bang the cores around, but the manifold you really can't hurt. I pull the copper washers out of the insides of the manifold first, so you don't wash them out and get them stuck in the manifold somewhere. There should be a large flat one and a smaller square one, same as in the endplate, on each core. Usually they will stay in the manifold side when you remove the cores.

The car will run better just with the manifold cleaned up

Also, remember to properly orient the cores when you put them back. They have different sized openings, and they should be pointed the right way.

Originally Posted by powell race parts
no wont hurt a thing. Just dry it off when you are ready to reinstall is all...o and italian joe can use pliers, he has experience, like jimi.
And soft hands
lmao!

Last edited by ItalianJoe1; 03-28-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i pulled with a pliers also.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
I pull the cores, clean them down with brake cleaner or degreaser and water, and do the manifold. They are always oily inside, poor design but the stock PCV vents right back into the manifold and the oil settles out. I just use a regular degreaser and the hose.

Do be careful not to bang the cores around, but the manifold you really can't hurt. I pull the copper washers out of the insides of the manifold first, so you don't wash them out and get them stuck in the manifold somewhere. There should be a large flat one and a smaller square one, same as in the endplate, on each core. Usually they will stay in the manifold side when you remove the cores.

The car will run better just with the manifold cleaned up

Also, remember to properly orient the cores when you put them back. They have different sized openings, and they should be pointed the right way.

lmao!
I swapped the bottom 2 last night. so i will just make a note of which one is which and as far as the pieces ur talking about when i pulled the core the o-rings stayed on the bottom of the cores as i pulled them out so when i went to replace them none of the pieces were inside the manifold. but thanks. i will probably just use dawn dish soap and hot water to clean them in the utility sink in my laundry room. thanks again.