Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Just ordered Hahn level 5!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc_Mann
How much whp were you running about with that time? Thats kind of disapointing. but then again what do you think would happen with a gtx swap.
i have no idea honestly.. i never got dynoed. hopefully this year ill be able to though. now i have a fully built bottom end, ported and polished head and a good clutch finally. but we'll see.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 AM

how many km's on your car when she blew? and how many km's at 22psi?
i think i blew her up at 27xxx miles. and it was totally my fault. as long as you get a good tune, 22 psi is definately doable. i did not blow up because i was running 22 psi so just keep that in mind. i would also honestly if i were you, cancel your order with hahn and go the zzp route.. hahn really doesnt have any customer service. but thats my opinion
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Received 409 Likes on 352 Posts
Originally Posted by VeNoM0713
i would also honestly if i were you, cancel your order with hahn and go the zzp route.. hahn really doesnt have any customer service. but thats my opinion
I was going to suggest this... but its not my money.

As I said before... I've really seen HAHN quality go down in the last few years. A LOT of cracked welds, etc. And also, as has already been stated... ZZP is still actively participating in this community and on this forum. They're still making new parts, developing new parts, etc. They've got cars out there performing and putting down good numbers. Can't say the same for HAHN.

We wouldn't be wasting out breath/text/time/etc typing this **** out if it wasn't true. We're honestly just trying to help. In the end, its your decision though.

Last edited by USMCFieldMP; 01-20-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 AM

I have had limited experience with Hahn, I bought one of their catted DP. It was $400, and in good shape. they would not however do ANYTHING with shipping or price match to any other company. My friend also bought a ZZP catted DP at the exact same time. his arrived faster than mine only cost about half as much. quality was the same, fit and finish was the same as we did the install side by side in my driveway. Also i have emailed both companies about a big turbo upgrade i will be doing this summer. ZZP got back to me the next day with better information and pricing. AND have you seen their web pages? Hahn has not updated anything in about a year, it's like trying to build a nuke reactor to find out what something costs. and as the above has said ZZP is STILL working to improve parts and design new parts for us. I know who's getting my money!
Old 01-20-2011, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by USMCFieldMP
I didn't think the Hahn kit came with a cat. I'm sure you could probably order it with a cat. Can probably do the same with the ZZP kit... just have to let them know you want a cat in the DP.

Installer error? AKA not enough oil? Couldn't say for sure... but I've had multiple, multiple, multiple friends and enemies that have run S200, S300, and even an S400 turbo for tens of thousands of miles almost problem free.

I've only seen one fail early and that was from improper oil supply. BP still warrantied it and had him a new one at his door in less than a week, iirc. Everyone is going to have problems here and there... no company is immune to problems.
had nothing to do with installer or oil it was heat that killed it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:04 AM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

There you go. Not the turbos fault.

Although I am surprised that heat would kill it that fast. I've seen some small turbos on big cars get really fkn hot before with no problems. Oh well.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This guy was so excited about his new turbo kit and now you guys are just ripping him apart lol

The Hahn kit may have an outdated turbo and be overpriced, but it's still a good kit and it's still reliable and will still get your power goals. Enjoy it man!!
Old 01-20-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
This guy was so excited about his new turbo kit and now you guys are just ripping him apart lol

The Hahn kit may have an outdated turbo and be overpriced, but it's still a good kit and it's still reliable and will still get your power goals. Enjoy it man!!
yeah but i can do that since i own the kit lol.. i just dont want the kid to make the same mistake as i did. its just not that great of a kit. as far as reliability goes, the turbo and i/c is reliable but um i think thats about it lol
Old 01-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Banned

So you were using a stock clutch with at 22 psi.. now I'm startig to understand the 113mph 1/4 mile
Old 01-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Banned

Not double clutchin like you should?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:53 PM

I like Zzp for the quality/price / service Ryan from Zzp called me a few days after my install to see how everything went Hahn would never do that
Old 01-20-2011, 02:07 PM

So you were using a stock clutch with at 22 psi.. now I'm startig to understand the 113mph 1/4 mile
no lol.. i had a spec 3+ clutch in it when i did the swap.. the clutch was just garbage though. and i was using full drag slicks which equals a lower trap speed. now i have an ACT clutch in it and its much better all around. i just hate the much firmer pedal
Old 01-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Banned

Im getting water methanol added some time this summer when it starts getting warm out that should make a difference. All I want is around 400whp. And from the videos Ive seen on you tube of hahn kits I honestly cant see myself being dissapointed.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

I personally am not a fan of Meth. You can get to 400whp... that's definitely obtainable. You're going to want to do some research though... you push this motor too hard in the wrong ways... and you'll break ****. There have been guys making 400-440whp quite reliably for a while now. You gotta know what you're doing though. Too much Cylinder Pressure and you're going to end up with cracked sleeves.

Not double clutchin like you should?
lulz...

Originally Posted by mmcgee123
I like Zzp for the quality/price / service Ryan from Zzp called me a few days after my install to see how everything went Hahn would never do that
This. By far.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM

i dont have time to read everything but i have the hahn stage 4 kit and my modz are -

79lb Injectors
Hallman Pro Boost controller
Pro Sport Boost Gauge
Aeroforce Intercepter Scan Gauge
Forge BOV
AEM Wideband
SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch
OTTP Rotated Trans Mounts
OTTP Stage 1 Axles
SP Performance Rotors
TWM STS
Eibach Sportlines
custom tuned with HpTuners

car runs just fine and ive made a lot of high end cars look stupid on the street. if you have a choice i would go with zzp. when i got my kit zzp didn't come out with there new setup but if you ask me the kit is perfect for a dd car but like venom stated dont use the no oil solution, get 80's or 79lb injectors. my spec stage 3+ clutch works great(i think i got the only one that works right lol) about the boost controller.....get one now because after a week of driving your going to want more im running 23psi with no lsd and i still get a kick out of it.....but yea ill agree with the others, if you can cancel the hahn order and go with zzp do it. you'll have the option to be in the 400+whp no problem.

anyway you look at it your car will put down more power easier than having a m62 or tvs. before i get hounded on for the tvs comment im referring money wise. doing a turbo swap will net you more whp gains with less effort than messing with a sc on a 4cyl.

Last edited by Dr.Balt407; 01-20-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Wow! I had a modified, bolted and tuned S/C that started breaking crap in the high 90,XXX mileage and when I traded in my SSSC for the SSTC I said I wanted something reliable and fast and thus I purchased GMS1 and a few other goodies. I don't have the quickest Cobalt in Michigan, or Oakland County for that matter. But its fun, its reliable, its under warranty and for my DD I'm extremely happy.

Buy what you like but heed the warnings of educated members on here, many know what they're talking about.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
Banned

Im really not going to worry much about what these zzp guys say when the top builder in canada says go with the hahn. Maybe I will go zzp but the only way I would do that is if there kit used the new EFR turbo which is the only turbo that is more advanced than any other modern turbo on the market. I dont know how you guys can say that zzp is that much better besides the fact that you have the option of buying a 256 or 256. well guess what if I want more power I'll buy a bigger turbo.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Rattlesnake Race Shop

Im really not going to worry much about what these zzp guys say when the top builder in canada says go with the hahn. Maybe I will go zzp but the only way I would do that is if there kit used the new EFR turbo which is the only turbo that is more advanced than any other modern turbo on the market. I dont know how you guys can say that zzp is that much better besides the fact that you have the option of buying a 256 or 256. well guess what if I want more power I'll buy a bigger turbo.
3-5 years ago... I'd completely agree with what that guy is saying. Hahn used to be some top level stuff. Excellent build quality, etc. Unfortunately, that's not the case anymore. I've seen multiple cracked welds on Intercoolers, exhaust manifolds, and intake manifolds... among other things. That's already been said once in here. In the end it is YOUR car and YOUR decision... we're just offering up some advice to try and help a fellow Cobalt owner out.

And if you talk to ZZP about your needs and wants... I'm sure they might be able to work out a deal and get you the EFR turbo to go with your kit. That's something that you're just going to have to ask them though.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

How can you say you would only use our kit if we used an efr turbo when you are buying a 20g? The extended tip technology is in both the efr and the bullseye/borg units, so? How much is the best installer in Canada supporting/giving back to the car you drive, just saying, support the correct teams and you come out ahead.

Also, I can get you an EFR when ever your ready!

[QUOTE=Marc_Mann;5492987]Finally decided to go with the zzp s252et turbo kit. What Im wondering is how much should the labour cost on this install plus a dyno tune? Ill give you guys the list of parts Im ordering:

ZZp turbo kit
s252et turbo
80#s injectors
boost contoller
race tune with core
q bov
Excedy stage 3 clutch
front and rear tranny mounts
engine mounts
boost gauge
oil pres. guage
o2 guage
hahn exhaust
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Banned

hahah is that a pm
Old 01-20-2011, 06:45 PM

zzp is the better route now, end of story. i love hahns catless exhaust though!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:55 PM

ether way you look at it its a win win situation. hahn or zzp your car will be much faster with a s20g or s252. if you stick with hahn and you want more pwr later down the road just get a bigger turbo and external wastegate and done*. i have the hahn kit and i have never had a issue thus far so as far as build quality goes its just fine. in everything or anything your going to have a problem when it comes to cars no matter what. ive seen numerous threads about how zzp doesn't do this or doesn't do that and zzp didnt ship this or that but you kno what? if my car still had the m62 on it i would still jump on their kit. same problem with ottp but when my car was sc'd it had nothing but ottp parts on it. you cant let every little thing ppl say detour you from what you want to do. another example...9 out of 10 ppl will say that spec makes garbage clutches, cobalt and other car owners alike but i have it and not a problem, matter of fact! i like it better than the stock clutch.......you just have to try for yourself.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So will 11s be possible with these parts Im ordering along with a boost controller, portfueler and on drag radials or slicks?
doubtful, plenty have ordered those same parts, no one runs 11's unless they're running ZZP stuff.

Hahn cars are riddled with problems and that's 1/2 the reason you don't see a single car competitive with hahn stuff on this forum.

FWIW ZZP kits are available with and w/o cat.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Banned

What kind of torque is zzp running while pushing 450 whp?
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 PM

when i made 418whp i made 390wtq

Quick Reply: Just ordered Hahn level 5!!