Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Ram Air hood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram Air hood?

Does anyone think it would be possible to make a functional ram air hood?
I was looking around my engine bay the other day, and it looks like it wouldn't be possible due to the location of the air intake.
The hood inlet would have to be off to the right, and that would just look dumb I think.

I won't be getting a ram air hood if it isn't functional...
Old 05-26-2005, 10:48 AM

I am sure its possible, but it may not look the best. Someone will have to fabricate an airbox to mount ontop of the motor and loop the hoses around to the throttlebody. A functional hood would probably have to look similar to an SRT-4 hood with a scoop similar to that, but the biggest problem is to get a box with enough clearance to clear the hood.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:01 AM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on the car. It would almost be useless for the SS S/C. There really is no such thing as ram-air for a forced induction car. The best it would do is cool the engine which is not a bad idea either.

The other trims of the Cobalt might benefit better with ram air if you relocate the airbox.. or could mount the scoop directly over it making for an offset hood scoop.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:52 AM

The duct work hopefully could be molded into the hood itself, with a rubber to rubber
contact area between the duct work and the throttle body.
I agree there's not much you'll get from this on a supercharged car but I would rather grab air from outside the car as opposed to the fender well!!!
And if it can be forced, better yet.
I think a cowl hood would look perefect and could be molded high enough to include the duct work. What do you guys think???
Old 05-26-2005, 03:30 PM

I really like the look of the hood on the Cobalt 272 concept car. I hope that GM or an aftermarket company will produce that hood. In the Vehicle Highlights it lists the hood as being functional but not a Ram air hood. Is this similar to what you are looking for?

Vehicle Highlights

Supercharged and intercooled 2.0L engine producing 270 horsepower
Functional fresh air intake integrated into hood
Fabricated air intake box
Low-restriction exhaust system from the catalyst rearward
Traction-enhancing limited-slip differential added to the heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission
Suspension lowered by 40 mm (1.6 inches) and tuned by GM High Performance Vehicle Operations (HPVO)
Large-diameter four-wheel-disc braking system with Baer rotors and production calipers
19-inch wheel and tire package
Audio system with Pioneer Electronics speakers and Alpine amplifiers
Aftermarket Motorola cell phone with IHF 1000 Premium Car Kit
Re-trimmed, custom interior that highlights SS heritage
Exterior styling that explores new concepts based on production Cobalt SS Supercharged
Old 05-27-2005, 12:39 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How well do they work in driving rain ? Functional Ram Scoop hoods that is.

BTW RK Sport has a functional hood. But that might be function with the 2.2 eco and not the SS/SC.

http://www.rksport.com/product/p_12011000/view_detail

Why don't you call em up and ask them and let us know
Old 05-27-2005, 01:11 AM
The Stig

The WRX's scoop goes to it's intercooler, not airbox as some beleive. I think that's a really good idea. Perhaps it has an application on the non SS Cobalts with turbo kits (2.2L,2.4L..).
Old 05-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcS
The WRX's scoop goes to it's intercooler, not airbox as some beleive. I think that's a really good idea. Perhaps it has an application on the non SS Cobalts with turbo kits (2.2L,2.4L..).
Except your intercooler on the WRX sit on top of a hot engine. And heat rises. I think most WRX owners who do a lot of work on their car make a front mount intercooler one of the items to upgrade. I think the top/hood mounted intercool looks cool and keeps the intercooler safe from rocks/road hazards (rally heritage)
Old 05-27-2005, 12:35 PM

The ram air hood I had for my Cav had a duct that dropped into the air box that held the air filter. This was a RK Sport hood. It's a pretty basic design. I don't see why you could not do the same thing for the SS. All you have to do is design a box that would be mounted in front of the supercharger, then run a duct over to it from the hood scoop, and have rubber seals on the box and duct. I'm sure this is what Chevy did on the 272. You will not see much performance gains at lower speeds, but at higher speeds you will be ramming the air into the supercharger, possibly increasing the boost. I just wonder if the intercooler can handle the increased heat load. As for driving in the rain.... I had never had a problen in the rain with this type of design. If a problem arises, all you have to do is put a hole in the intake box to drain any water.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:07 PM

What about the filter getting wet?
Old 05-27-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SS_Canuck
I really like the look of the hood on the Cobalt 272 concept car. I hope that GM or an aftermarket company will produce that hood. In the Vehicle Highlights it lists the hood as being functional but not a Ram air hood. Is this similar to what you are looking for?

Vehicle Highlights

Supercharged and intercooled 2.0L engine producing 270 horsepower
Functional fresh air intake integrated into hood
Fabricated air intake box
Low-restriction exhaust system from the catalyst rearward
Traction-enhancing limited-slip differential added to the heavy-duty five-speed manual transmission
Suspension lowered by 40 mm (1.6 inches) and tuned by GM High Performance Vehicle Operations (HPVO)
Large-diameter four-wheel-disc braking system with Baer rotors and production calipers
19-inch wheel and tire package
Audio system with Pioneer Electronics speakers and Alpine amplifiers
Aftermarket Motorola cell phone with IHF 1000 Premium Car Kit
Re-trimmed, custom interior that highlights SS heritage
Exterior styling that explores new concepts based on production Cobalt SS Supercharged
The cowl hood I mentioned would take air from the high pressure area in front of the window, it's not a ram type hood. I think this type would look really good on the SS. However I'm not picky and would be happy to get air pretty much from anywhere as long as it's outside the car.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
Except your intercooler on the WRX sit on top of a hot engine. And heat rises. I think most WRX owners who do a lot of work on their car make a front mount intercooler one of the items to upgrade. I think the top/hood mounted intercool looks cool and keeps the intercooler safe from rocks/road hazards (rally heritage)
Actually, in the real WRX's, there's a button in the cockpit to spray water directly on to the intercooler... that's why they put it there.

Then again... who actually has a real rally WRX anyways, right?
Old 08-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by ToxicPoison
Does anyone think it would be possible to make a functional ram air hood?
I was looking around my engine bay the other day, and it looks like it wouldn't be possible due to the location of the air intake.
The hood inlet would have to be off to the right, and that would just look dumb I think.

I won't be getting a ram air hood if it isn't functional...
I think you'd have to do something like this:

Picture

except putting the intake opening on the other side. It would be more like a CAI/Ram Air combo. Might look a little wierd on a Cobalt though.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
What about the filter getting wet?
dont worry about the filter getting wet. you can use water to clean the filter, so a little water wont hurt it. and air will still push through. you arent talking about drenching the filter... you would only get a couple drops on it at most.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:31 PM

maby that is the reason their hasnt been a ram air hood air box put on the market. we would have to make somthing with a little motor to close the hood scope in the rain. with one of those little rain cencors that some cars have for there wipers.

Shermen
Old 10-13-2005, 09:44 AM

Many people have mentioned the ram air hood as a "power adder"
front facing scoops only work in terms of cold air until you hit about 200mph
then they "ram air" on a n/a - sc I'm not sure
it's the "cool factor" 'cause I got a scoop so look out - that drives purchases

as mentioned in an earlier post - "cowl induction" style will yield better gains
high pressure on windshield
low pressure at scoop entrance
reversion
the "big boys" use them at the drags for a reason
Old 02-02-2007, 04:24 AM

I was thinkin bout the same thing...if i bought the SS Hood, somehow make it functional like the LS1 Camaro or the basically like the Trans Am Ram Air, but it would have to be somewhat like a newer mach 1 mustang.....
Old 02-02-2007, 04:34 AM

i dont see the ram opening as letting water in and being a problem look at the evos that have the opening on the hood with only mesh over it
Old 02-02-2007, 04:36 AM

As far as the SS/SC goes, getting something like the Extractor Hoods would be best to help cool the motor/supercharger. For the rest of the models, it would all depend on your specific preference on appearance. You could have one that re-routes the intake, or you could have the opening over the factory location.

As far as water goes, I don't see you haveing too much of a problem unless it's the kind of hood that has openings directly on top and has no way to re-direct the water coming in. Even then, it shouldn't be too much of a problem unless you completely submerge the air-intake under water.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Banned

I want an evo type hood. Cut out almost directly behind the Supercharger basically where the Fuel Rail cover is. Then my S/C would be loud as f!
Old 02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

ROFL! The cowl hood is used alot for its cooling purposes because it allows cool air to flow from and straight out the back.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM

You can get "ram-air" on a SS/SC if you have a cai by taking the drivers side fog light out......
Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 PM

the rk sport hood is ram air if you have a 2.2 or 2.4 with a short ram intake.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM

HA HA HA!!!
Post #16 = posted in 2005
Post #17 = posted in 2007
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SS/SCking
You can get "ram-air" on a SS/SC if you have a cai by taking the drivers side fog light out......
lol ive always thought about doing that on a car with factory fog light holes

Quick Reply: Ram Air hood?