Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

sts turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i get almost as excited about parts for me, as i do about parts for the 2.2...

i LOVE the idea of fast 2.2s. your tuning issues will soon be over if you guys keep getting all this aftermarket attention.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly, I find it absolutely useless and more headache to do this with a 4 cylinder car that has a great amount of room to fit in the engine bay which would be MORE efficient in so many different ways.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM

why do people say they are scared to fit a turbo so close to our firewall? is it really that close?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by chevysalesman614
why do people say they are scared to fit a turbo so close to our firewall? is it really that close?
People = Exaggerate
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Red2.4SS/SC

most thieves know what there ******* with before they do it , by saying that means he probably KNOWS you have the turbo under the tire , he also probably knows how fast your car is
well if someone really wanted to steal my car or parts off of it, there would be nothing i could do about it anyway. especially in the neighborhood i live in.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:23 PM

so i got smacked in the head last night by my buddy....i was like yea didnt u run like a 12 on the track....he said yea with street tires at 4 psi lmao....apparently he did a 10.87 on giant radials with 7psi....he showed me the slips last night....im an idiot lol....anyway...it was a 5 speed 2000 Z28 with sum kinda head from another car on it...he said it had bigger valves....he has methinol but its not hooked up...

Still a very fast freakin car....the rear tucks and the bitch moves lol

o and a T67 ballbearing turbo

Last edited by Sloco Productions; 08-28-2007 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love this forum, no engineering degrees, maybe one or two out there, but a million jump the bandwagon traditionallists. Yes sir. Good place to practice freedom of speech. lmfao. You guys are all hilarious, + rep to you all.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Your friend does not have a 2000 5 speed z28 they only come in automatic and 6 speeds.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:24 PM

Actually there is plenty of argument as why not to do an under the hood turbo setup. Alot of it has to do with fire hazard mostly. And you morons on here talking about how much more inefficient a STS is need to learn a little more about the systems. Most shops who have done these installs have calculated only about 1 - 2% loss... That doesnt seem to be that inefficient when your only talking about maybe 100hp.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by BlackedOutCoby
Actually there is plenty of argument as why not to do an under the hood turbo setup. Alot of it has to do with fire hazard mostly. And you morons on here talking about how much more inefficient a STS is need to learn a little more about the systems. Most shops who have done these installs have calculated only about 1 - 2% loss... That doesnt seem to be that inefficient when your only talking about maybe 100hp.
show my a pressurized, heat sensitive pipe system with 6+ feet of large cross sectional pipe and then make that system with only a 1-2% efficiency drop and i'll show you a turbo system that dam near defies thermal physics......
Old 08-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rippin07
I love this forum, no engineering degrees, maybe one or two out there, but a million jump the bandwagon traditionallists. Yes sir. Good place to practice freedom of speech. lmfao. You guys are all hilarious, + rep to you all.
So I'm assuming you have a engineering degree?

Strong words...aye?

So if it's such a fire hazard...WHY ON GODS GREEN EARTH are there MULTIPLE engine setups and platforms that have a turbocharger STOCK with a warranties and still being produced.

But I don't know...maybe you're right it's a fire hazard. Oh wait...what would cause it have a fire more so than any other vehicle? I mean you do realize that the exhaust housing on the turbocharger will get just as hot as your exhaust manifold, right? I mean seriously what is the fire hazard from a turbocharged car than any other car.

Also, the inefficiencies are mutiple...not just talking about air but EVERY portion of the setup. No one said it wouldn't work, of course compressed air reaching a ******* V8 engine is going to produce good numbers...der. Why don't you guys find out why alot of tracks won't allow those cars onto the track? Clue: Location of Oil Lines

If you want, I'll go through the whole list of why it's a sloppy setup compared to the "traditional" setup.

But either way, I'm a moron, correct?

Last edited by NJHK; 08-28-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-28-2007, 02:36 PM

Who wants a cookie?

You guys are beating a dead horse.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RedlineBrian
Who wants a cookie?

You guys are beating a dead horse.
It's better than beating a dead ****
Old 08-28-2007, 02:43 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
It's better than beating a dead ****
Is this also something you have experienced Adam???
Old 08-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by victory_red_SS
Is this also something you have experienced Adam???
I have a zombie **** that comes alive and dances to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"
Old 08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
LSX RWD S/C conversion

Received 271 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by NJHK
I have a zombie **** that comes alive and dances to Michael Jackson's "Thriller"
I sure hope your grandmother doesn't listen to Michael Jackson's music, because zombies aren't so discerning.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Banned

Funny you speak of Fire Hazards

My freind just bought a new c6 and put the STS twin turbo kit on there and after about a week he was awaken in the middle of the night by his car being on fire. Long short the whole turbo setup is ruined as well as the hood was welded shut and all the oil lines caught on fire as well so his motor is toast. His insurance said it looked like the company that put it in did a poor job wiring his MSD and it caught fire from shorting out and well the rest is history just makes you think you know.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by glockglade
My freind just bought a new c6 and put the STS twin turbo kit on there and after about a week he was awaken in the middle of the night by his car being on fire. Long short the whole turbo setup is ruined as well as the hood was welded shut and all the oil lines caught on fire as well so his motor is toast. His insurance said it looked like the company that put it in did a poor job wiring his MSD and it caught fire from shorting out and well the rest is history just makes you think you know.
Poor wiring job...but wasn't his car off?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he keeps it idling all night long lol

at the end of the day, i think anyone who knows what makes a turbo system efficient can tell you the STS is not an efficient system.....they make good power on V8's because EVERYTHING makes good power on a V8. Hell, an intake can give a V8 25 horses! lol
Old 08-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
he keeps it idling all night long lol

at the end of the day, i think anyone who knows what makes a turbo system efficient can tell you the STS is not an efficient system.....they make good power on V8's because EVERYTHING makes good power on a V8. Hell, an intake can give a V8 25 horses! lol
Pretty much
Old 08-28-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rippin07
i can tell you right now, half the people with engineering degrees don't know jack ****. experience > edumacation.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cakeeater
i can tell you right now, half the people with engineering degrees don't know jack ****. experience > edumacation.
while i agree with that statement to a point...most engineers that are not car people have issue seeing the practical side of things.

i think i have a good combo...

soon to have my degree AND a life's worth of experience.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM

1 All NHRA tracks allow STS setups.
2 Fire hazard on our cars because the Turbo will be sitting less then 1/8th of an inch from the firewall which happens to have a 1/2inch cotton fiber noise shield attached on it. You don't think a 1100+ degree turbo could catch fire to cotten fibers sitting 1/8th inch away.
3 Hanh/garret turbo kit has what like 4 feet of tubeing because of the way it wraps up and over the engine. 2 extra feet isn't gonna make hardly any difference.
4 Personally have owned both a STS TRT and under hood turbo kit and was no measureable difference between the two. And both were on the same engine just in 2 different cars.
Car 1 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET
Car 2 Nissan 240SX Kit-Silvia SR20DET *swap*
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM

1 All NHRA tracks allow STS setups.
2 Fire hazard on our cars because the Turbo will be sitting less then 1/8th of an inch from the firewall which happens to have a 1/2inch cotton fiber noise shield attached on it. You don't think a 1100+ degree turbo could catch fire to cotten fibers sitting 1/8th inch away.
3 Hanh/garret turbo kit has what like 4 feet of tubeing because of the way it wraps up and over the engine. 2 extra feet isn't gonna make hardly any difference.
4 Personally have owned both a STS TRT and under hood turbo kit and was no measureable difference between the two. And both were on the same engine just in 2 different cars.
Car 1 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET
Car 2 Nissan 240SX Kit-Silvia SR20DET *swap*
why the hell did you use an sts system on a det? but anyway, like i said before, sts makes up somewhat for the loss of heat (which is useful to a point, don't argue it, it's a fact) by using much smaller turboes. So basically, the performance will be similar between a traditional system and a remote mount, but with the remote mount you have to worry about oil delivery issues, alot more piping, etc. etc. So you are just getting the same **** with more issues.....why? unless you are just trying to make it unique there is no point.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:02 PM

I originally went with the STS system on the SE-R because it was free. When I bought the car the previous owner had already been talking to the shop about letting them test it on the engine. So since they did everything for free I went ahead with it. Then when I bought my 240sx I scraped the KA24 truck motor and dropped in the SR20 from the SE-R and since I had ungodly amounts of room under the hood went with a show quality Under the hood setup. Was already in the process of converting the whole car to j-spec Silvia condition. The right side drive conversion took the most time almost a year. Both setups made about 350whp/317wtq.

Quick Reply: sts turbo