Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Turbo VS Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo VS Supercharger

Ok, so this is just a start, but please give input so we can make it better.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are more types of superchargers than many realize, but there are FOUR main designs that have caught on. Yes, i said four. While a turbocharger is not usually referred to as or known to be a supercharger, it still technically is a supercharger. If you are looking for turbo information, go here. The other three popular types of superchargers are twin-screw, roots, and centrifugal superchargers.

ROOTS STYLE

The roots style supercharger is the most commonly used. Although it is fairly innefficient compared to others such as a twin-screw, the designs are fairly simple and very reliable. Many factory vehicles come off of the assembly line equipped with this type of supercharger for this reason. This type of system (if done properly) is VERY streetable and will give a much more natural feel when it comes to power delivery compared to other methods of forced induction which is why they are not only popular with auto-makers, but also in the aftermarket. Unfortunately all of these high points come with a few low points. This design is pretty inneficient and will not produce the kind of performance a properly designed turbo system or twin screw system will provide, so if ultimate track performance is what you are looking for, this is not the way to go, but if you are looking for a great jump in power that will be very reliable, streetable, and fun, you should consider a roots blower.

TWIN-SCREW

A twin-screw supercharger has alot in common with a roots style supercharger, but there are a few key differences. A roots style supercharger compresses air into the manifold, then into the motor (or thru an intercooler and into the engine) while a twin-screw actually compresses the air inside of the supercharger itself and then into the motor, which helps this design to be quite a bit more efficient that a roots blower because of less turbulance and "backflow." Twin-screw superchargers tend to be the most expensive of the bunch, so those of you on a tight budget may want to look at other options. this system will provide alot of the high points of the roots (streetability, reliabilty and extremely linear power delivery) along with better performance because of the higher efficiency, and more power potential in the future. If you are looking for fun factor, good track performance, along with reliability, and you aren't on a tight budget, this is a good way to go.

CENTRIFUGAL SUPERCHARGER

This is the oddball of the bunch. A centrifugal supercharger has many things in common with a turbocharger. A Centrifugal supercharger is belt/pulley driven, just like a roots/twin-screw, but has a head unit that is very similar to a turbo. Instead of using rotors like a twin-screw or roots, the centri uses blades like a turbo does to compress the air into piping, then either straight into the intake manifold, or thru an intercooler, then into the intake manifold. This is usually the cheapest way to go out of the bunch and although they are getting much better reliability wise, they are still a bit behind the reliability of a roots/twin-screw in most applications. This design does not make power as quickly as the two, above mentioned designs, which in some cases is better. This may be the way to go for many of you looking for power-adders as the cobalts are fwd, and in a fwd car you just don't want a rediculous amount of low-end torque. The centri will have a better top-end than a twin-screw/roots blower in most situations, and will not make nearly as much low end power because they have an almost "lag" like a turbocharger. This may sound like a bad thing, but that is not necessarily so. This will help you keep traction because it doesn't make nearly as much low-end power, but will make up for the lesser low end in it's top end power. Despite the lesser reliability (not by alot these days) the centrifugal supercharger has started to become VERY popular in the aftermarket because of its high points. They are power on demand just like the other two, are usually a fair amount cheaper and have more potential for power in the future if you plan on going even further with your car.

I do not have time right now to go into detail of how each one works specifically, but i will do that sometime this week when i have more time, and I will include detailed explanations of everything i have talked about, so check back or pm me if you have questions. I will make some animations in engineering tech at school too if i have time. As of now this is just kind of a basic explanation for people looking to go forced induction on a 2.2 or 2.4, or for 2.0's that want to upgrade, but don't necessarily want to go turbo.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 01-29-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Banned

this is already a post genius..so you the search tool next time you make a thread!!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by intense_SS
this is already a post genius..so you the search tool next time you make a thread!!
HAHA...

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/forced-induction-50/forced-induction-101-a-8183/

Even though there is SOME misinformation on there.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by intense_SS
A. Never try to insult someone's intelligence when you can't even construct a sentence that makes sense.
B. I said there should be a STICKY about it so people wouldn't have to search. That is kind of the point of a sticky. If there already is a thread like this, it should be made a sticky.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:22 PM

I would definately like to contribute to informative Supercharger information. Far too much mis-information about superchargers..
Old 01-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
I would definately like to contribute to informative Supercharger information. Far too much mis-information about superchargers..
THANK YOU! see njhk did a good write-up on turbos. we need to have a sticky about blowers too. i have to do my homework right now, but later tonight or tomorrow we can all collaborate and get something going.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:13 PM

turbo > supercharger

/thread

*STICKIED*
Old 01-28-2007, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by IonNinja
turbo > supercharger

/thread

*STICKIED*
LOL not for all intents and purposes. In MOST track situations yes....but alot of times on a street car that doesn't often go to the track, a blower may be the better idea. don't have time to start on this right now, but we will tomorrow if people want.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
turbo > supercharger

/thread

*STICKIED*
ion...you should seriously be shot in the face for saing ones better than the other...are you trying to start ANOTHER dumb argument about which is better?
Old 01-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Banned

this thread sux!!!
Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Banned

lol this will turn into a huge debate.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by HunterKiller89
ion...you should seriously be shot in the face for saing ones better than the other...are you trying to start ANOTHER dumb argument about which is better?
its not dumb and there is no argument because we know which one is the winner.

j/k, of course it will turn into a debate but isn't that what the thread is for...post facts!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loose the "urbo" part of the thread title so it just says TVS Supercharger. lol.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:23 PM

ugh this is gonna take longer than i thought....got some basic stuff down tho...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Yes, this will take a while. and your comments about roots style superchargers have been changed now with the introduction of the TVS supercharger. Its actually more thermally efficient than a twin screw. Although i know people will debate this.. i can tell you that many people in the boosting industry have taken notice..

If you want some topics to discuss you can go over how to read a supercharger/turbo map..

Isentropic (adiabatic) effciency
Pressure ratio's
volumetric efficiency
etc..
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by TVS_SS
Yes, this will take a while. and your comments about roots style superchargers have been changed now with the introduction of the TVS supercharger. Its actually more thermally efficient than a twin screw. Although i know people will debate this.. i can tell you that many people in the boosting industry have taken notice..

If you want some topics to discuss you can go over how to read a supercharger/turbo map..

Isentropic (adiabatic) effciency
Pressure ratio's
volumetric efficiency
etc..
hmmm i'll have to take a gander at the tvs....there doesn't seem to be much info on the eaton website about it, but from what i can see in the pictures it is another modifed roots that is pretty similar to a twin-screw. I'll do some research on it and include it in all this at a later date. (most likely by this weekend, and if not it will be done by monday). If any of you have points you would like me to address, feel free to pm me any info you would like to add, or even little write-ups of your won and i will credit you. This is alot of work and i'd appreciate the help LOL. that stupid little bit i started with took like half an hour
Old 01-29-2007, 10:51 PM

Cobalt supercharged Vs. Evo.
NADE OUT !!! TAKE COVER!!!
Ha ha bitches!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Intense ss, how old are you man, everytime I see you post, its either putting down another member or calling them names, whats up with you dude.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
its not dumb and there is no argument because we know which one is the winner.

j/k, of course it will turn into a debate but isn't that what the thread is for...post facts!
it was supposed to be an informative thread on the pros and cons of each, leaving the "winner" to be the opinion of the one informed
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Banned

Prochargers (centrifugal) are ripping EVERYONE a new one that they compete against. And have the FASTEST pump gas car in the world.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by STI>>>SS/SC
Prochargers (centrifugal) are ripping EVERYONE a new one that they compete against. And have the FASTEST pump gas car in the world.
yup vortech makes some good centri systems too. dollar for dollar they are the highest performing setups out there for alot of cars and their reliability has gone up ALOT. Centri's are right under turbo for track performance really, and cost an assload less most of the time. I will probably end up going centri in my car sooner or later, if i don't do heads/cams right now, i will probably be putting a paxton kit in during the spring. Anyone looking to go blown on a cobalt/ion i highly reccomend a centrifugal system.

EDIT: one thing i must warn you all about is procharger's customer service. they are one of the top aftermarket blower providers and make a GREAT product, but i have heard TONS of bad things about their customer service. If you ever buy procharger, buy it for the hardware, and make sure you know your way around everything before you do it because they will be little help.

Last edited by 8cd03gro; 01-30-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM
Banned

im looking at a procharger. how much est do you think it will cost??. and is my GMPP 2.25 inch catback sufficient for HP gains or do i need to go 2.5/3???
Old 01-30-2007, 08:01 PM

lets not turn this in to how much is this? Lets keep this info only. BTW nice SC info
Old 01-30-2007, 08:17 PM

yea if you have questions please pm me or there are a bunch of other members with forced induction knowledge that could help you out. Again, sorry this is kinda short right now, but i don't have alot of time on my hands right now because of school/work. Expect A LOT more info by this coming monday.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:30 PM

There was sombody on here advertising that they are ganna make a procharger kit . But I can't find the post any more. Procharger sparked an interest for me.

~~Alex

Quick Reply: Turbo VS Supercharger