Forced Induction Turbos/Superchargers

Want to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Want to Turbo

Alright in case you don't know I'm a noob, and my friend just got me involved with cars a few months ago. My goal is to turbocharge my car building my own kit and installing it myself. At this point I have a very rough list of parts I'm going to need. What I would like is feedback as to what parts I forgot to add. (A quick side note, I want everything on this list down to the flathead screw.) Also If you have any recommendations as to what parts specifically you would recommend (ex manufacturer, size, ect), I would greatly appreciate it. I will update the list as I find out more and have time. (I am also interested in finding parts through the forum and will be posting a thread in the buy section after I get a more solid list.) Thanks!

List of Materials to Turbo

Intake manifold
Garrett Turbo (haven't determined size want 8 psi on low end of operating range)
Oil Lines
Charge Piping
Intercooler
Injectors
Electronic Boost Controller
Blow off Valve
Transmission Cooler $45
Transfluid lines
Gauge Pod
Wideband Gauge $290
Boost Gauge
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Trans temp alarm?
Gaskets?
3 inch Exhaust
High flow intake?
Flashes PCM and TCM
Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM

As much as I want to curse at you for not doing a simple friggin search since their are about 25,000 other 16 year olds posting the same thing...i'll tell you what you need.

First off, assuming a 2.2/2.4, then...

Your intake mani is fine, get your turbo
get your turbo header to fit your turbo
get your turbo downpipe
oil lines
intercooler (optional)
BOV / EBC (optional)
la de da.

Your best bet would be to buy the garrett kit with the GT28RS...which runs for roughly 2k. then tune it yourself and make your changes from there.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo06Sedan
As much as I want to curse at you for not doing a simple friggin search since their are about 25,000 other 16 year olds posting the same thing...i'll tell you what you need.

First off, assuming a 2.2/2.4, then...

Your intake mani is fine, get your turbo
get your turbo header to fit your turbo
get your turbo downpipe
oil lines
intercooler (optional)
BOV / EBC (optional)
la de da.

Your best bet would be to buy the garrett kit with the GT28RS...which runs for roughly 2k. then tune it yourself and make your changes from there.
Honestly..... I got to say you guys are so unpleasent. People generally join forums to learn and gain knowledge through people with experience in a specific area. I swear my last post I had the entire forum on my ass; I was just doing it for the conversation. I've been on quite a few forums and I have never ran into so many snippy people. I'm not bashing you guys cause I know I'm gonna have like fifty below the belt comments. It's just a fact. I don't know if you read my post, but I don't want to do a kit; I want to do a GOOD job and somewhat custom, not some slap up. Do tell me how I'm supposed to tune it myself without HP tuner or equivalent, and no experience whatsoever using it? (Not to much room for error either) Fyi I'm a college student at Rensselaer majoring in mechanical engineering not some punk bitch 16 year old. I posted this thread cause I wanted to not cause I'm computer illiterate.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:30 PM

No its true most people on this website have nothing better to do themselves than talk about how smart and amazing they are.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:15 PM

Its the mere fact that all turbo kits consist of the same thing.

Turbocharger, Turbo Exhaust Manifold, Charge Piping, Couplers, Larger Injectors, Spark Plugs (Not included in most kits, but recommended), and Oil/Coolant lines to turbo (if turbo supports it).

You would need a pipe bender to get your bends, you would need some decent fabrication skills.

I will flame you until the day you provide some sort of proof you are actually doing it, or did it. Why? Because everybody on these forums says "I want to go turbo", or "i am going turbo!" and never do it.

Myself and Zach06Cobalt or whatever his nickname is on here were joking about it the other night, but we are like...the 1% ers who do what we say we are going to do.

This forum is snippy yes. Why? Cobalts are like, a 16 year olds dream car. Because mom and dad buy them because they are cheap. So, its not so much you in general we're pissy at, but the fact of so many new members come on here and ask the same question and dont search.

If I were to type the word "turbo" into the search, i'd see a few thousand threads/posts about it.

This topic gets brought up about once every day or so. You are just the lucky one I decided to post to..today.

Good luck with your turbo.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:36 PM

custom doesnt always mean better, there have been members who have tried to do custom but it doesnt work out to be any better. just buy a kit either zzp or hahn or garrett.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 AM

word of advice do not buy turbo kits from ebay yes they may be at 600-800 but in the long run its going to cost you more because the turbo might be faulty or the pipes might crack or some ungodful quick 20psi purge to your engine and boom there goes your engine
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 AM

custom means your car is more than likely going to take 3x's longer to finish. buy the kit and everything is right there tested and proven. and if you dont know anything about tuning, it's going to take 3x longer than that. best bet is save your nickles and dimes get a kit and tweek it a little, the guys who do have custom kits on this site more or less started their projec before any turbo kits were out there and they can contest that it took alot of trial and error to get it right.

also people are going to rag on you cause it's simple to just do a search on here then have to start a new thread there is around 20 threads that are about this topic. if youhave been around forums alot you should know the search bar is key to getting all the info you need in a short period of time
Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 AM

Ok, as alot of people said, there is already a whole lot of info on this subject, BUT, i don't mind sharing info with you if your serious about it.

I did a completely custom kit, it took 3 months of the car being down to get completed. Could i have done it faster, YES. Would it have turned out nice and reliable, NO. So with that said, if you plan on doing it in a weekend, it will not happen, i don't care how much planning you put into it, you WILL run into issues. Custom kit= custom issues.

You need, first the turbo, then the manifold to fit the turbo, related gaskets, oil feed and return lines. the turbo itself will determin whether you need a wastegate or not, you don't need a elec, boost cont. Not necessary, the ability to change boost will get you one thing, Blowed the **** up...

Then you will have to have an exhaust shop fab up a down pipe, you don't need 3" exhaust. open it up if you want to but not necessary.

Then you will need piping, clamps, couplers and a blow off valve, intercooler optional, but not necessary. As for the intake, you do NOT need an intake on lower boosst levels,

Injectors, and trifecta tuning. Boost guage, wideband is GOOD to have, other guages optional.

Good luck! I'm with everyone else, save yourself some grief and get a kit.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:54 AM

Custom is Custom. However it'd be beneficial for you to buy the Garrett Kit minus tuning. Why? Its cheap. And comes with everything you'd need.

Now. Maybe you want a different turbo. Sell the GT28RS that comes with the kit (after all..its brand new) sell it for a slightly discounted price. Say for $800. Keep in mind, this turbo is $1100ish. Now, you sell for $800, then if you want a turbo that costs $1400. Fork out the extra $600.

Originally Posted by b_faulk75
Ok, as alot of people said, there is already a whole lot of info on this subject, BUT, i don't mind sharing info with you if your serious about it.

I did a completely custom kit, it took 3 months of the car being down to get completed. Could i have done it faster, YES. Would it have turned out nice and reliable, NO. So with that said, if you plan on doing it in a weekend, it will not happen, i don't care how much planning you put into it, you WILL run into issues. Custom kit= custom issues.

You need, first the turbo, then the manifold to fit the turbo, related gaskets, oil feed and return lines. the turbo itself will determin whether you need a wastegate or not, you don't need a elec, boost cont. Not necessary, the ability to change boost will get you one thing, Blowed the **** up...

Then you will have to have an exhaust shop fab up a down pipe, you don't need 3" exhaust. open it up if you want to but not necessary.

Then you will need piping, clamps, couplers and a blow off valve, intercooler optional, but not necessary. As for the intake, you do NOT need an intake on lower boosst levels,

Injectors, and trifecta tuning. Boost guage, wideband is GOOD to have, other guages optional.

Good luck! I'm with everyone else, save yourself some grief and get a kit.

Huh? Are you trying to say you dont need a intake for the car..if your runnin on low boost?

Last edited by Turbo06Sedan; 05-23-2009 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2009, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turbo06Sedan
Custom is Custom. However it'd be beneficial for you to buy the Garrett Kit minus tuning. Why? Its cheap. And comes with everything you'd need.

Now. Maybe you want a different turbo. Sell the GT28RS that comes with the kit (after all..its brand new) sell it for a slightly discounted price. Say for $800. Keep in mind, this turbo is $1100ish. Now, you sell for $800, then if you want a turbo that costs $1400. Fork out the extra $600.

Huh? Are you trying to say you dont need a intake for the car..if your runnin on low boost?
I'm talking about the intake manifold, not the turbo inlet itself, you do need that!!!! Most people change out the 2.2l intakes cause of them being 2 peices, but that's not necessary...
Old 05-23-2009, 01:11 PM

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 PM

ill tell you straight up, i did a custom kit, it came out fine except i got a exhaust leak thats causing a boost leak... and i think for a couple more hundred dollars i spent buyin the parts for my kit i would have been better off buying a already did kit.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:29 PM

Alright after hearing what you all have to say I'm leaning toward the ZZP stage 2 kit. Is there anyone out there who has one? Comments?
Old 05-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by BlackCobalt707
ill tell you straight up, i did a custom kit, it came out fine except i got a exhaust leak thats causing a boost leak... and i think for a couple more hundred dollars i spent buyin the parts for my kit i would have been better off buying a already did kit.
If the leak is before the turbo, it will create boost problems.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShortStack
If the leak is before the turbo, it will create boost problems.
i know where the leak is. its the gasket between the manifold and the turbo. i need to get a thicker gasket but i cant find one. so im goin to jus buy up a bunch of the thin metals ones i got
Old 05-31-2009, 07:47 PM

If you have the time and money go with a custom kit. Why? Well how else is the cobalt ss community supposed to grow. If you have a bunch of people willing to settle for the basic kits that companies are selling then there will be no one standing out in the crow. How do you think the honda market has gotten so big? because people won't settle for what is being offered. There is always more and better, but there has to be people who want it. My Integra has taken me alot of time to get together but i will not settle for what is offered in a kit because i don't want to be running anything under 400hp.

/lsneo lolittas boyfriend.