Front Page News Site Polls

GM tightens up usage of SS label

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM tightens up usage of SS label

General Motors Corp. is rethinking the way its uses the SS moniker that has adorned souped-up Chevrolets since 1961.

SS -- for super sport -- has traditionally signaled performance versions of vehicles like the Camaro, Impala and most recently the Cobalt sedan.

The automaker felt it was getting a bit carried away with the label after putting it on the most recent version of the Malibu midsize sedan. So now only cars with the best horsepower, braking power and handling will get the title.

It's part of GM's bid to stoke sales by building exclusivity into some models, a move the automaker hopes will burnish the overall image of a brand and make other vehicles from the same nameplate more attractive to buyers.

"Not every car that has some extra features and fancy racing stripes can be an SS," said Ed Welburn, GM Design global vice president.

GM will start the transition with the introduction next year of a new sport version of the Equinox compact SUV. The vehicle will have 42 percent more horsepower than the basic Equinox and other performance enhancing features, but will be labeled a sport as opposed to an SS. At the same time, GM will no longer offer a SS version of the Malibu.

"That's one that probably shouldn't have gotten the SS label," Chevrolet Marketing Director Cheryl Catton said.

Automakers often use special edition vehicles to give their brands an image boost. Such vehicles rarely deliver high sales numbers, but can help generate buzz around a company's lineup.

"They might want to be more careful with the vehicles they stick that badge on," said Brian Moody, road test editor with Edmunds.com. When used properly, he said, sport labels "may drum up interest in the brand down the line."

The image boost that comes with distinguishable lineups can help improve a vehicle's selling power as well as increase its resale value, another important factor for car buyers.

Each brand gets own identity

GM has struggled to define its vehicles in the eyes of consumers, with a murky brand portfolio and often indistinguishable characteristics between its cars and trucks.

But the company has made it a top priority to turn that around and give each brand a distinct identity. Buick, for example, will aim for an image of luxury and refinement. Pontiac wants to come across as stylish and performance-oriented.

"For this to be a truly great company, we need to deliver on the product side," said GM sales chief Mark LaNeve, speaking Thursday during a media preview of the GM exhibit under construction at the North American International Auto Show.

LaNeve said GM is having success already that has helped stem market losses in the automaker's North American operations. He said GM expects to hold or slightly increase its market share -- about 25 percent at the end of November -- in 2007.

Part of GM's image efforts will go public next month at the auto show, where the automaker is entirely rebuilding its display to showcase each brand separately yet still under the GM umbrella.

"Now, from the beginning, we build a car to match the characteristics of the brand, " LaNeve said.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:12 PM

I think its better to only put the SS label on vechiles that deserve it, honestly.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:21 PM

finally they realize that it isn't a simple trim level but an actual destinct version of a vehicle
Old 12-15-2006, 05:24 PM

yay no more malibu ss. does this mean there also changing the name of the 2.4 cobalt
Old 12-15-2006, 05:25 PM

yeah its about time GM listens to the consumers, they shot the SS label into the trash when the put the label on the malibu and somewhat on the silverado. Silverado just needs a blower to make it competitive since its got the AWD that will kill any if it could get some more power under to the hood to compete with the SRT-10 and lightings and such. i definitely agree if your atleast going to put an SS on a cobalt with a 2.4 it better be a two door i mean come on its on a friggin impreza or an evo. just give it an S like the altimas or somethin.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM

i'm pissed they didn't make an Aveo SS. Those bastards.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Good riddens to badly badged cars.

by the way the SS sedan should not be an SS. Sorry, but it shouldn't. Neither sould the SS non SC because there should only be one SS in the lineup if one at all.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:31 PM

good idea
Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 PM

I wouldnt be suprised next year if the 2.4 SS will get 1 S taken away and re-labeled Sport as well ....or RS .
Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM

FINALLY. ITS ABOUT TIME THEY REALIZE THAT
SS badges do not go on Malibu's
Old 12-15-2006, 05:36 PM

I have nothing against a SS Sedan but its performance should match the SS/SC There should have never been 2 models called SS and have different engines.

And I'm not saying anything bad about those that have the SS sedan they are great but I just don't feel that it was appropriate if anything its very confusing to consumers and others not completely familiar.

As for all vehicles having an SS I'm glad they realized it was getting out of hand. Given the malibu SS is a lot nicer than the normal malibu but it shouldnt have ever been called an SS
Old 12-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by IMADreamer
Good riddens to badly badged cars.

by the way the SS sedan should not be an SS. Sorry, but it shouldn't. Neither sould the SS non SC because there should only be one SS in the lineup if one at all.
Couldnt agree more!

From the time they announced the SS non S/C, I have said it should be part of the "Z" line, and not SS.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 PM

Dammit, I came on here to post the same story. Oy!

Yeah, all your 2.4 guys will definitely see the removal of that badge.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:40 PM

when did the 2.4 ss start? what year model is it
Old 12-15-2006, 05:42 PM

if they change next year, those with the 2.4 ss will have a rare car...they started 06
Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by xtremeGM
I have nothing against a SS Sedan but its performance should match the SS/SC There should have never been 2 models called SS and have different engines.

And I'm not saying anything bad about those that have the SS sedan they are great but I just don't feel that it was appropriate if anything its very confusing to consumers and others not completely familiar.

As for all vehicles having an SS I'm glad they realized it was getting out of hand. Given the malibu SS is a lot nicer than the normal malibu but it shouldnt have ever been called an SS
That's right on target. There should only be one top-of-the-line. It's clear that the supercharger puts the 2.0 SS on top. I think they should resort to RS or S for improved cars that just aren't SS material.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Z24 would have seemed far more appropriate.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:52 PM

Not another one of these threads. lol
Old 12-15-2006, 06:10 PM

wasn't there a reason why they got rid of the "Z".. i remember when i had my 2002 Cavalier with the 2.2L Ecotec motor in it, it was a first of it's kind with that motor. I remember my dad telling me about some issues they had with them when they were making them. Since they were being built here in Tonawanda, NY at the GM plant..

Anyways my Cavalier then was the "top" of the line with the "new" motor that made similar hp than the old 2.4 but my Cavalier was called an LS Sport which was the proper name to call it... no offense to the 2.4L N/A SS guys but GM could have possibly made it a Sport, but u wouldn't call it an LT Sport because that doesn't sound right and u can't call it an LS Sport because the LS and LT's have 2.2's in them, Cobalt Sport? like someone said before

Last edited by CobaltSS422; 12-15-2006 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I for one bought the CObalt SS S/C thinking I have a unique car made by chev. This was going to be a new legend in motorsport cars even if it was a FWD. Kinda like a corvette. then I looked around seeing the Monte Carlo and thought OK that is fine it sounds worthy. then the envoy, silverado having an SS badge. then a second cobalt with SS that really got me. And thought what next - then I saw the butt ugly MALIBU MAXX SS. Boy I knew that people were going to no longer respect my car from an SS badge. It was going to have be gained by embarrassing people and showing results.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:31 PM

GOOD! I hope this puts to rest that stupid thread dealing with the Corvette SS...how lame!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:41 PM

Do you have a link to the orignal story?
Old 12-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS422
wasn't there a reason why they got rid of the "Z".. i remember when i had my 2002 Cavalier with the 2.2L Ecotec motor in it, it was a first of it's kind with that motor. I remember my dad telling me about some issues they had with them when they were making them. Since they were being built here in Tonawanda, NY at the GM plant.. Anyways my Cavalier then was the "top" of the line with the "new" motor that made more hp than the old 2.4 but my Cavalier was called an LS Sport which was the proper name to call it... oh thats right now... they got rid of the "Z" because they got rid of the old 2.4L motor hence Z24... no offense to the 2.4L N/A SS guys but GM could have possibly made it a Sport, but u wouldn't call it an LT Sport because that doesn't sound right and u can't call it an LS Sport because the LS and LT's have 2.2's in them, Cobalt Sport? like someone said before
The 2.2 ecotec was never as fast as the 2.4 used in the last model of Z24. And the the Z24 did not come from the fact that it was a 2.4L. My girlfriend had a 92(3?) z24 with a 3.1L engine in it.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:51 PM

this is why I prefer my car being called "GT"
Old 12-15-2006, 06:54 PM

Yeah, right here!

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...ht=corvette+ss

Quick Reply: GM tightens up usage of SS label