Fuel Economy - Hypermiling Dedicated to discussions on fuel economy improvements and related modifications.

Neutral coasting w' auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Menace Kustoms

I don't shift my auto. Whenever I am driving, I let it do it's job. When I coast down the freeway however, I put it in neutral. It's quite different that actually "shifting". Thanks for over reading my posts.
that is SHIFTING the car. Youre SHIFTING it out of GEAR into NEUTRAL.

Then you have to SHIFT it BACK INTO GEAR when you need to ACCELERATE again.

So yes, youre SHIFTING your AUTOMATIC transmission.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1BADSS/SC

and i went 90 mph today and the instant economy went 99 mpg...and why wouldnt the injectors cut off at a higher speed?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by nhanson
hmm...i thought OD was always less than 1?

ill check tomorrow on my own car (09 G5)

and anyway you will decrease the life of the trans because of the fact when it engages and disengages it slips the bands and clutches
I don't mean the gear ratio in the transmission is 1:1. I mean the coupling ratio of the torque converter.

Shifting infers moving it through the gears. Neutral isn't a gear. Moving the shift lever to neutral disengages the transmission, it doesn't shift it between gears, calm down.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Shifting infers moving it through the gears. Neutral isn't a gear. Moving the shift lever to neutral disengages the transmission, it doesn't shift it between gears, calm down.
No **** dummy. WTF do u think youre doing when you pop it out of gear then back into gear. If you go from 3rd to neutral back into third youre shifting in and out of third. Holy ****, its not rocket science. If you go from OD ( or w/e goofy ass automatic gear your shifting from ) to neutral back into OD, youre shifting in and out of OD.

Of course I wouldnt expect you to actually know what shifting is considering u drive an auto. Just dont do it. The car is designed to maximize fuel efficiency from the factory. Shifting in and out of gear, or shifting an auto to begin with is just retarded.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:49 PM

No **** dummy. WTF do u think youre doing when you pop it out of gear then back into gear. If you go from 3rd to neutral back into third youre shifting in and out of third. Holy ****, its not rocket science. If you go from OD ( or w/e goofy ass automatic gear your shifting from ) to neutral back into OD, youre shifting in and out of OD.

Of course I wouldnt expect you to actually know what shifting is considering u drive an auto. Just dont do it. The car is designed to maximize fuel efficiency from the factory. Shifting in and out of gear, or shifting an auto to begin with is just retarded.
Alright, you crossed a line now. First of all, I stand by my statement that you are disengaging the transmission, not shifting it, but at this point that seems to be purely semantics. Where you went wrong is making a personal attack on me. Wtf dude? This is a discussion that contains peoples opinions. We are all entitled. Why did you get all pissed of? Saying I don't know what shifting is because I drive an automatic currently is both ignorant and uniformed. My first car, 1970 Mustang Mach 1, had a Top loader 4 speed. My second car, a 1992 Thunderbird SC, had a 5 speed. My third car, a 2001 SVT Focus, had a 6 speed. My fourth car, a 1991 Integra, had a 5 speed. My fifth vehicle, a 1989 Taurus SHO, had a 5 speed. My sixth vehicle, a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, was a 5 speed. My car previous to the G5, a 1962 Corvair, was a 5 speed. So yes, you must be correct, I have no knowledge of shifting a manual transmission. What a knob. Lastly, you sir are the most incorrect when you say that the car is designed, from the factory, to maximize fuel economy. Aside from guys increasing MPG by simply getting the car tuned, there is an XFE model than gets better mileage with the exact same car! So how is mine tuned for maximum efficiency. You are the retard here.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nhanson

and anyway you will decrease the life of the trans because of the fact when it engages and disengages it slips the bands and clutches
Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Alright, you crossed a line now. First of all, I stand by my statement that you are disengaging the transmission, not shifting it, but at this point that seems to be purely semantics. Where you went wrong is making a personal attack on me. Wtf dude? This is a discussion that contains peoples opinions. We are all entitled. Why did you get all pissed of? Saying I don't know what shifting is because I drive an automatic currently is both ignorant and uniformed. My first car, 1970 Mustang Mach 1, had a Top loader 4 speed. My second car, a 1992 Thunderbird SC, had a 5 speed. My third car, a 2001 SVT Focus, had a 6 speed. My fourth car, a 1991 Integra, had a 5 speed. My fifth vehicle, a 1989 Taurus SHO, had a 5 speed. My sixth vehicle, a 2006 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner, was a 5 speed. My car previous to the G5, a 1962 Corvair, was a 5 speed. So yes, you must be correct, I have no knowledge of shifting a manual transmission. What a knob. Lastly, you sir are the most incorrect when you say that the car is designed, from the factory, to maximize fuel economy. Aside from guys increasing MPG by simply getting the car tuned, there is an XFE model than gets better mileage with the exact same car! So how is mine tuned for maximum efficiency. You are the retard here.
You obviously dont know what shifting is if youre attempting to shift an automatic to get better gas milage which is ******* retarded. IDC how many cars you have owned.

As for fuel efficiency, I will hold to my original statment:

The cobalt is an ECONOMY car which is designed from the factory to maximize your gas milage based on OEM parts. DRIVING IT LIKE A RETARD WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR GAS MILAGE.

And, as for the tuning to get better gas milage, youre wrong there again. Techinically if you want the BEST gas milage a TURBO is the best route. The best gas economy comes from a turbo application, not a NA application.

But, go ahead and keep shifting your auto. Keep telling yourself its working.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:12 PM

You obviously dont know what shifting is if youre attempting to shift an automatic to get better gas milage which is ******* retarded. IDC how many cars you have owned.

As for fuel efficiency, I will hold to my original statment:

The cobalt is an ECONOMY car which is designed from the factory to maximize your gas milage based on OEM parts. DRIVING IT LIKE A RETARD WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR GAS MILAGE.

And, as for the tuning to get better gas milage, youre wrong there again. Techinically if you want the BEST gas milage a TURBO is the best route. The best gas economy comes from a turbo application, not a NA application.

But, go ahead and keep shifting your auto. Keep telling yourself its working.

There you go contradicting yourself. Tuning WILL increase MPG. I never said it was the BEST route, just one possible way. So, tuning will give me better mpg, and turbo will give me even better mpg. i just have to say it more than once because you don't seem to get it the first time. I don't have to tell myself it's working. I've tested it, repeatedly. It does work. There is really no discussion in this matter. I'm the one that pays for the gas in my car, not you. I'm the one that calculates it, not you. And, like I said, the car is not maximized for fuel economy, the XFE is. If mine were already as good as it could be for mpg, there would be no XFE.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM

There you go contradicting yourself. Tuning WILL increase MPG. I never said it was the BEST route, just one possible way. So, tuning will give me better mpg, and turbo will give me even better mpg. i just have to say it more than once because you don't seem to get it the first time. I don't have to tell myself it's working. I've tested it, repeatedly. It does work. There is really no discussion in this matter. I'm the one that pays for the gas in my car, not you. I'm the one that calculates it, not you. And, like I said, the car is not maximized for fuel economy, the XFE is. If mine were already as good as it could be for mpg, there would be no XFE.
ur an idiot. There is any mpg difference between the two. The XFE is NOT tuned differently than the lt or the ls. I dont know how the hell u came to this conclusion.

For ’09, the Cobalt’s 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine gains variable valve timing and output rises to 155 horsepower. The XFE remains a manual-only proposition, but the tweaks are now standard on Cobalt LS and 1LT trim levels. An even taller (3.63:1) final-drive ratio is another change on the 2009 model that helps it bump highway fuel economy up to 37 mpg. In our hands, the ’09 Cobalt XFE returned 29 mpg combined in mostly city driving. In our 2005 test of an automatic-transmission equipped 2.2-liter Cobalt LS, we managed 27 mpg.

The 2.2l engine in the ls and lt are both rated at 37 mpg. Just like the xfe trim:

http://www.chevrolet.com/vehicles/20...an/features.do

The XFE is the lightest trim and also has no features standard. No power locks, ABS, etc. Hmmm... Seems like MAYBE it gets good gas milage because its lighter?

Do you have any idea how much weight ur auto tranny adds? And do you have any idea that a manual tranny gets better gas milage than an automatic? Hmmm, I guess not huh?

I didnt contradict anything, you just dont have a clue about ur own engine and car. You said tuning was the best option. I told you a turbo is, which it is.

And Ill bet your probly looking at your MPG meter correct? Are you acutally keeping track of the miles and how many gallons ur putting in to ACTAULLY calculate the gas milage? Probly not. Because the computer in the car is 100% accurate right?

LOL, why the hell did u get an auto if u wanted better gas milage? You obviously dont know the difference between the different transmissions otherwise you would have gotten a stick.

FAIL
Old 08-29-2009, 12:30 PM

ur an idiot. There is any mpg difference between the two. The XFE is NOT tuned differently than the lt or the ls. I dont know how the hell u came to this conclusion.

For ’09, the Cobalt’s 2.2-liter four-cylinder engine gains variable valve timing and output rises to 155 horsepower. The XFE remains a manual-only proposition, but the tweaks are now standard on Cobalt LS and 1LT trim levels. An even taller (3.63:1) final-drive ratio is another change on the 2009 model that helps it bump highway fuel economy up to 37 mpg. In our hands, the ’09 Cobalt XFE returned 29 mpg combined in mostly city driving. In our 2005 test of an automatic-transmission equipped 2.2-liter Cobalt LS, we managed 27 mpg.

The 2.2l engine in the ls and lt are both rated at 37 mpg. Just like the xfe trim:

The XFE is the lightest trim and also has no features standard. No power locks, ABS, etc. Hmmm... Seems like MAYBE it gets good gas milage because its lighter?

Do you have any idea how much weight ur auto tranny adds? And do you have any idea that a manual tranny gets better gas milage than an automatic? Hmmm, I guess not huh?

I didnt contradict anything, you just dont have a clue about ur own engine and car. You said tuning was the best option. I told you a turbo is, which it is.

And Ill bet your probly looking at your MPG meter correct? Are you acutally keeping track of the miles and how many gallons ur putting in to ACTAULLY calculate the gas milage? Probly not. Because the computer in the car is 100% accurate right?

LOL, why the hell did u get an auto if u wanted better gas milage? You obviously dont know the difference between the different transmissions otherwise you would have gotten a stick.

FAIL

Fail, I think not sir. You really need to read my post better. I never said that tuning was the best. I only stated it was AN option. Read the post again. I never used the word best. As for the XFE mpg being standard now, that's fine for the 09's, but I don't have an 09. Nice try there. I am also aware of the fact that a manual gets better mileage, it's a 5 speed rather than a 4 speed. Jeez dude. I bought it used because it was cheap and had low miles and got much better mileage than my Corvair. And when I said I calculated my mileage, I meant I calculated it, not the on board calculator. Give me a freaking break dude. I took gas receipts and odometer readings to reach my conclusions. You know what happens when you assume things?
Old 08-29-2009, 01:19 PM

Fail, I think not sir. You really need to read my post better. I never said that tuning was the best. I only stated it was AN option. Read the post again. I never used the word best. As for the XFE mpg being standard now, that's fine for the 09's, but I don't have an 09. Nice try there. I am also aware of the fact that a manual gets better mileage, it's a 5 speed rather than a 4 speed. Jeez dude. I bought it used because it was cheap and had low miles and got much better mileage than my Corvair. And when I said I calculated my mileage, I meant I calculated it, not the on board calculator. Give me a freaking break dude. I took gas receipts and odometer readings to reach my conclusions. You know what happens when you assume things?
You said a tune, as in the xfe was tuned differently, when it IS NOT. The ls and lt have the same exact "tune". Honestly, youre referring to the xfe as if its a different model, when ITS NOT.

SO, ur argument with the tune has no validity because there is no tune. There is nothing, theyre the same car. If you want, u can convert ur car to a stick, get rid of all the extras, slap an xfe badge on it and PRESTO! Theres ur xfe.

And again, why would u buy an auto? Why not look for a stick if u wanted the best milage? Im not assuming anything, youre making it blatently obvious as to what you wanted out of your car vs what u actually bought. U should have gotten a stick.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:13 PM

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...&highlight=xfe

I always assumed revised engine calibration meant a tune...(?)
Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM

You said a tune, as in the xfe was tuned differently, when it IS NOT. The ls and lt have the same exact "tune". Honestly, youre referring to the xfe as if its a different model, when ITS NOT.

SO, ur argument with the tune has no validity because there is no tune. There is nothing, theyre the same car. If you want, u can convert ur car to a stick, get rid of all the extras, slap an xfe badge on it and PRESTO! Theres ur xfe.

And again, why would u buy an auto? Why not look for a stick if u wanted the best milage? Im not assuming anything, youre making it blatently obvious as to what you wanted out of your car vs what u actually bought. U should have gotten a stick.
I needed a car right away. I had a very short time line, so I could only choose what was available, I couldn't wait. I looked all around our local area for something to commute to work in. At that point any economy car was acceptable because I had been driving a 1962 Corvair. If I was only interested in MPG, I could have bought a Hybrid Civic that I found. However, the G5 was the best deal considering miles on the car and the MPG. See, assuming. There is more to everyone's life than what's on the internet.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 AM

I needed a car right away. I had a very short time line, so I could only choose what was available, I couldn't wait. I looked all around our local area for something to commute to work in. At that point any economy car was acceptable because I had been driving a 1962 Corvair. If I was only interested in MPG, I could have bought a Hybrid Civic that I found. However, the G5 was the best deal considering miles on the car and the MPG. See, assuming. There is more to everyone's life than what's on the internet.
If youre shifting your auto to get better gas milage then youre not happy with the gas milage youre getting by just driving it. So why didnt you just buy the hybrid? Where do you live that u couldnt find a stick cobalt?

I found 34 used cobalts with a manual tranny within driving range on cars.com.

Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...&highlight=xfe

I always assumed revised engine calibration meant a tune...(?)
and magically the ls and lt get the same gas milage because theyre tuned differently?

Riiiight....

Last edited by 1BADSS/SC; 08-30-2009 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why is this still going on? If you think you get better gas mileage by going to neutral, you're an idiot. It's like trying to justify starting in 3rd gear by saying you'll go faster because you shift less. It just doesn't make sense. With all the available information, I don't see how anyone can even attempt to argue this without looking like an idiot. It's not an opinion, it's a fact that you will not get better mileage going to neutral.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 AM

Well here is another fact for you foke. When I drove my parents 04 chevy venture (yes a ****** mini-van) as my learning car I would shift to neutral when coming to a stop and when droping down hils (which was fun because the van weighs like 5 tons ((not really)) and it drops like a rock.) The outcome, no better fuel millage AND the auto tranny is fked with only 80k on it. So, the 0.02 cents you THINK you save while putting it in N ends up costing 2500 for a new tranny. It does not equate to being a idea worth doing at all. Now as for my first car which is a 08 balt sedan lt, the only time I put it in N is waiting at a light, which is mainly because i like to rev it up to scare the old lady crossing the street =).

Simple conclusion, dont EVER shift, or move the stick with an auto while moving EVERZ because if you do, in the long run you will save 200$ on gas, and have a tranny thats dead as a door nail.

EDIT: And to stop the hating before it starts Ive driven my friends 09 mustang stick better then he does. I didn't get a stick because I didn't pay for it, thus I can't complain. I am very impressed with the cobalt, and will get a ss coupe stick or a camero as my first i paid for it car xD.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM

lol I just put it in nuetral going down large hill when the ac is on because it causes a slight surging... does it in both the 08 sport autos we have. Its annoying so I throw the auto in nuetral down big hills
Old 08-31-2009, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by 357
Well here is another fact for you foke. When I drove my parents 04 chevy venture (yes a ****** mini-van) as my learning car I would shift to neutral when coming to a stop and when droping down hils (which was fun because the van weighs like 5 tons ((not really)) and it drops like a rock.) The outcome, no better fuel millage AND the auto tranny is fked with only 80k on it. So, the 0.02 cents you THINK you save while putting it in N ends up costing 2500 for a new tranny. It does not equate to being a idea worth doing at all. Now as for my first car which is a 08 balt sedan lt, the only time I put it in N is waiting at a light, which is mainly because i like to rev it up to scare the old lady crossing the street =).

Simple conclusion, dont EVER shift, or move the stick with an auto while moving EVERZ because if you do, in the long run you will save 200$ on gas, and have a tranny thats dead as a door nail.

EDIT: And to stop the hating before it starts Ive driven my friends 09 mustang stick better then he does. I didn't get a stick because I didn't pay for it, thus I can't complain. I am very impressed with the cobalt, and will get a ss coupe stick or a camero as my first i paid for it car xD.
The manual for my 06 ls says you shouln't shift from n to a drive gear/selection while the car is moving because it may cause damage. It does provide examples when its acceptable to use the I or intermediate gearbut doesnt say anything about moving or not. It does explain that if you select "L" (while driving) it wont shift until its at the correct speed.

Last edited by Mr.N00bLaR; 09-01-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: removed tested link.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM

L or low is "first gear" so it will only engage under 25 ish. Its purpose is if you have a heavy load or towing something to give better torque from a dead stop. I is for going up a hill when you have a heave load. You can switch into I when driving, but I wouldn't recommend going into L unless from a dead stop, and you will only accelerate to the top of the gear 20-25 and no further as its not in D so it wont go into its further auto shifts.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:39 PM

let him keep on ******* up his tranny. Hes been warned.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by spartan15
I have been driving in neutral a lot