General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Base model and POWER windows/locks, help in here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base model and POWER windows/locks, help in here!

Okay so I'm planning on getting power windows/locks a little before the weather starts getting warmer and have a few questions.
I've gone over the how-to for the power locks and windows with stock parts... and I don't think I can pull off the wiring part, I'll probably screw my whole electrical system so that's not an option.

I've gotten a quote for about 460$ power locks and windows, but that was a quick find, could probably call a few more places.
My question... I'd like to upgrade my door panels and hopefully go for the stock look, is there any way I can hook up an aftermarket power window to the stock switches? I'm thinking aftermarket switches probably look ugly and don't flow with the car.

Another option I have is purchasing the motors for the windows and bringing it to a shop that could do only the wiring part for me but that's gonna be hard to find...

Anyone has done this? What do you guys suggest? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Mostly concerned about the windows... the locks I don't mind since I get a remote for them.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:32 AM

When I had my cobalt I had my kit installed for about $400 by a shop. I bought SS door panels and where the switches were on the door panels I took those out and the existing holes I filled with fiberglass and finished with body filler. So it looked clean but I still had a little box with switches on the door panel. Ill see if I can find a pic.
All in all most people couldnt tell the difference unless they have been in a cobalt.
Name:  088288fd-cf6c-482d-913c-d891dc85f1da_zps578aa0c2.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  74.5 KB

Last edited by BlackARCA06; 02-02-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 AM

Oh thanks for the picture man, the fiberglass deff looks good, the drivers side looks great. The passenger looks like still the old door panel? That's a good idea. As long as it looks good, because I've seen when they install these kits they put a plug on the door handle "hole" and just leave the switches somewhere hanging in the door panel and most look terrible. Where would I be able to get something similar to that? You got it done at a shop?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:44 AM

No its the same door panel as the driverside the sun is making it look different.. And when they installed the kit I had them put the new switches over the pre-existing hole. But in my case when I got my SS door panels I drilled a new hole. An as far as the kit goes I have no idea what they used.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlackARCA06
No its the same door panel as the driverside the sun is making it look different.. And when they installed the kit I had them put the new switches over the pre-existing hole. But in my case when I got my SS door panels I drilled a new hole. An as far as the kit goes I have no idea what they used.
Does the kit work nice? Gave you any problems?
I went over the how to last night again and the only bad part is the "trial and error" doing wires but the guy said it won't ruin anything electrical even when he plugged everything reversed the first time lol. I might go the stock route. Idk who does fiberglass adaptions and how well they come out it'll be a bit risky lol
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by dieGone
Does the kit work nice? Gave you any problems?
I went over the how to last night again and the only bad part is the "trial and error" doing wires but the guy said it won't ruin anything electrical even when he plugged everything reversed the first time lol. I might go the stock route. Idk who does fiberglass adaptions and how well they come out it'll be a bit risky lol
I had problems about 3 months after I got the kit, the installer offered to fix it right away but I couldnt be without a car so I ended up going over all the wiring and it ended up being a lose ground. Other than that I had the kit for 2 years with no problems...I sold my car about a year ago so idk if its still working but I dont see why it wouldnt be. Its like anything else just needs a power source, only thing that could possibly go wrong is a motor burning up but that happens all the time. And yea if you dont have any experience with fiberglass or plastic filler I wouldnt mess with it...im just lucky and im auto body tech.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM

Lol so basically I'm screwed unless I go the stock way haha I'll see what I can do I guess.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

the window swap is very simple todo, i did it in my car in my driveway took about an hour todo it

i used factory door panels, window motors a regulators, and i got the factory door harnesses, pm me and i could help with some ??s
Old 02-03-2013, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by dieGone
Lol so basically I'm screwed unless I go the stock way haha I'll see what I can do I guess.
No, you dont have to use the SS panels I did that because I was doing a swap on my LS. Ill try to find another pic when I used the original door panels, if you get a aftermarket kit ask what the warranty is or if they stand behind it if they have problem. Mine had lifetime warranty. Heres a pic with the stock door panels they put the switch box right over the hole.

Name:  2011001-1_zps8709bcb0.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  61.7 KB