General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

This bites big time

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This bites big time

I didn't feel like finding the right thread to add to, so here it is. I have a base 05 manual that has been running like a dream, until yesterday. I came home from work, everything is great, I picked up my bro-in-law, working great, dropped him off at his house, stayed for about ten minutes. When I got in it started really rough, then died and wouldn't start again. I have issues with the closest dealership and of course they don't want to tow it an extra 40 miles to the decent dealership. Today I tried it again and it ran smooth for about one second, then completely died again. after waiting a few it did it again. After my wife and I getting rather upset with the place we bought it from, they agreed to get it the extra 40 miles to their place. I am completely understanding that s#!t happens, but my wife is irate. She wants to keep it and give me another type of car. To top it off we are leaving for Texas in like 3 days. Any other non sc's having prob's
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 PM

I remember one issue where the owner had a strong electrical smell coming from under the hood....something to do with the wiring harness coming loose. I know there was one more if you do a search on the forums but I can't remember exactly what it was. Both of them were non-ss models though.

Permafried-
Old 08-22-2005, 09:00 PM

nope no smells
Old 08-22-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by T Dawg
I didn't feel like finding the right thread to add to, so here it is. I have a base 05 manual that has been running like a dream, until yesterday. I came home from work, everything is great, I picked up my bro-in-law, working great, dropped him off at his house, stayed for about ten minutes. When I got in it started really rough, then died and wouldn't start again. I have issues with the closest dealership and of course they don't want to tow it an extra 40 miles to the decent dealership. Today I tried it again and it ran smooth for about one second, then completely died again. after waiting a few it did it again. After my wife and I getting rather upset with the place we bought it from, they agreed to get it the extra 40 miles to their place. I am completely understanding that s#!t happens, but my wife is irate. She wants to keep it and give me another type of car. To top it off we are leaving for Texas in like 3 days. Any other non sc's having prob's
As a Chevy Tech I have not seen this problem yet, but Chevy vehicles are known for fuel pump problems. Many times they are an intermitant problem of "no power" or "no start". Today I just replaced a faulty pump on an Impala that I let run 6 hours Friday and another 4 hours today before it finally would not start and I was able to diagnose the fuel pump. Duplicating the problem is going to be the hardest part. If it isn't broken you can't fix it. I hope whome ever you take your vehicle to for repair uses all their resorces, bulletins, preliminary info., or Tech Assist. Best of luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 10:09 PM

No fooling, but I am an idiot and I was sayng it sounds like the fuel pump. Thanks for making me feel like I have a slight clue
Old 08-22-2005, 10:55 PM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know benzs have quite a few problem with intermittent fuel pump failures...
crankshaft position sensors are well ...
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM

Mine goes to a dealer tomorrow for the thing wandering all over the road... i think it just needs an alignment after being strapped down to the car carrier. Other than that, the engine bucks a little sometimes, but not enough to really be a pest. It's under warranty, so I don't really care. I get a loaner so, it's not like I'll be shoe leather express tomorrow.

That and those damn hubcaps!!!!

Scott
Old 08-22-2005, 11:06 PM

im happy to hear im not the only one who despises the damn hubcaps the noise they make is so irritating
Old 08-22-2005, 11:52 PM

I had a Sunfire about 5 years ago that did the exact same thing as you describe. Car was only a week old. They had to replace the throttle position sensor (TPS)
Old 08-23-2005, 01:20 AM

Those damn hubcaps can go straight to hell in a handbasket for all I care. It's like punishment for being cheap, LOL. I wanted to put my own rims on it, and until that happens, this friggin' changity-chang-chang sound is gonna kill me!

Also, have any base owners come across this new problem? I noticed my fabric is pulling away from the plastic piece on the door you grab to close it.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:21 AM

I had a grand am that the throttle position sensor kept going out, but at 40 bucks a pop, I decided to take it apart and bend the connections, worked for a while, then I traded it for the cobalt
the other "appearance" issue that I have seen on other threads is the friggin headliner edge where it meets the windshield, I mean how cheap can they get??? btw the worst part of this is instead of asking for a loaner, i am driving my wife's 05 caravan
Old 08-23-2005, 02:24 AM

as for the hub caps, they do suck, steelies aren't that bad on a new car, just kidding, i'll keep the noisy ass covers until i can get real rims. which with two kids and two foster kids while having a lame ass job might be a while
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 AM

i have the same car, so im just as concerned as you are. i dont want it to happen to mine. also, as for the hubs as well, they are freakin retarded. i really dont want to buy any upgrades for this car, but the hubs make so much noice at low-medium speeds.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM

Just talked to the dealership and we were right, it was the fuel pump and it should be done tomorrow afternoon. Thank go, i was really missing the joy of driving something other than a minivan.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 AM

starting problems

about 2 months ago when i started my cobalt.....the rpms would jump up then go down then go up and back down a few times before finally coming to a steady idle it has been doing this randomly ever since.....has anyone else had this problem or heard anything about it
Old 08-30-2005, 01:20 AM
Domestics Pwn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya ive had the same problem with the motor surging on start up... Ive noticed its only on hot starts (after driving awhile and then stopping somewhere.. then getting back in the car) and when the AC is running... When the motor had <500miles on it .. it happened pretty commonly... As ive put more miles on the car.. at about 3k right now... Its only done it a couple of times in the past 1k miles... I think its just some kind of ecu issue with the fuel trim at idle with ac on... Maybe worsened by a car with low miles still breaking in .. I wouldnt worry about it.. unless it becomes REALLY bad.. or the car starts stalling or something... My SVT Focus used to surge all the time.. I think Ford had something like 3 flashes to try and fix the problem and none of them ever really worked 100%... I work on benzs and it seems to happen to them quite a bit too...
Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 AM

with my Cobalt, it's where the carpet meets the top of the trunk opening. It's pulling away. My friend Bruces car is the same way as is another friends SS. Weird.
But what the hell... it's under warranty.

Scott