General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cam cap/bearing bolts

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam cap/bearing bolts

When reinstalling my cams on my 2.4L LE5, I broke one of the bolts that secure the cam caps. For clarification, these are the 12 (6 for each cam) bearing retainers that secure the cams in their seatings, for which there are two bolts on each cap. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that these are general M6X40 bolts. I cannot seem to find the correct bolts on engine diagrams that GM provides for these engines, and when I thought I had and ordered them, the bolts that arrived at my house were obviously not them. Can anyone clarify if these are general M6X40 bolts and, if not, exactly where I might be able to order them? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by nbchappie
When reinstalling my cams on my 2.4L LE5, I broke one of the bolts that secure the cam caps. For clarification, these are the 12 (6 for each cam) bearing retainers that secure the cams in their seatings, for which there are two bolts on each cap. I read somewhere (can't find it now) that these are general M6X40 bolts. I cannot seem to find the correct bolts on engine diagrams that GM provides for these engines, and when I thought I had and ordered them, the bolts that arrived at my house were obviously not them. Can anyone clarify if these are general M6X40 bolts and, if not, exactly where I might be able to order them? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm assuming you broke the bolt by over-tightening it? Those bolts require hardly any torque, 89 in-lbs if I recall correctly. Also want to tighten them down in steps because the cams will be pressing against some of the valve springs partially and you don't want to get the camshaft in a bind. Although I'm assuming a standard bolt the right size, length and thread-pitch would work I would personally source an OEM bolt to keep things consistent as they aren't expensive. Any dealer should be able to help you out or I'm sure any salvage yard or people online that part out Cobalt's could hook you up with a used bolt. Might talk to user CobaltPartsStore (Tom) on here https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/memb...tsstore-77520/ as he may be able to hook you up as well.

From http://www.crateenginedepot.com/pdfs...ngineParts.pdf it looks like the bolt is part number 11519970 with description Bolt, HFH M6X1X40, 18 THD, 14.2 OD, 8.8 STL. GMW3359