General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Car Wash Ate My Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto washes are no good, be happy it didn't smash the antenna into your back window and shatter it, happened to me. Definitely upgrade to a shorty though and try to use touch less car washes so your clear coat doesn't get swirl marks
Old 07-20-2012, 02:26 PM

Yes, I now realize that you should remove your antenna before using an automatic carwash... unfortunatley I had tried to remove mine before this happened and couldn't get it to unscrew.

Yes there is body damage, the auto body repair place gave me an estimate of $585!!! And the carwash owner pointed out the signs to me and smugly said "Sorry about your luck".

I also usually wash my car myself, but I live in a beach town and my back seat was full of sand... my shop-vac isn't as powerful as the vacuums at the carwash and the carwash was handy on my lunch hour... all things that I am paying dearly for now!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by 07LSJ
bird and 87 ave?
If you are asking what car wash, for anyone that lives in or around Pensacola... it is Gulf Breeze Car Wash on Hwy 98 near Tiger Point.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by skygirlpc
If you are asking what car wash, for anyone that lives in or around Pensacola... it is Gulf Breeze Car Wash on Hwy 98 near Tiger Point.
oh nvm, i thought it was in miami.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

I have a 2008 Cobalt Coupe Sport (I bought it used about 2 months ago). I went to the automatic carwash today, I really just wanted to use their free vacuums but I feel bad using the vacuum when I don't use the car wash so I paid for the cheapest wash and drove in. A little over half way through I hear a snap then a minute later another snap and my radio goes out.

Turns out it totally ripped my antenna off!! When I went to look at it a thick cable was hanging out with a wire in the center of the cable that was broken and frayed.

Also the body looks slightly dented at the hole where the antenna comes out.

I am taking it to an auto body shop later today to get a quote. I can't believe this! Super bummed!! Just thought I'd share my story where people can understand my frustration!!
Same thing happened to me...I found a used antenna and cable on here and re-ran it up to the passenger dashboard and did the install myself only took about 10mins with pulling the side panels off and mounting it back up..

GOOD LUCK
Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by tbellazzi
Same thing happened to me...I found a used antenna and cable on here and re-ran it up to the passenger dashboard and did the install myself only took about 10mins with pulling the side panels off and mounting it back up..

GOOD LUCK
Thanks! Did you have any damage to the body? I'm worried about the paint peeling and/or rust.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my brother used to live in milton and we had no issues with it. he took his raptor to the beach all the time and ran through an autowash somewhere. but there was only one he could fit in and he had to fold the mirrors in cause the raptors are as wide as a lamborghini.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM

Thanks! Did you have any damage to the body? I'm worried about the paint peeling and/or rust.
yeah I ended up with damage on the trunk door...guess the antenna cable came out farther then yours...just little dings that were taken care of no issue now