General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Carbon Fiber Development

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hilty003
ok so id like that then. non-imposter cf. and whatever else you guys get him to make.
I'm actually e-mailing him right now. Current most popular interests are:
A Pillars with 1, 2, and 3 pod option
Cluster bezel with 1 and 2 pod option
Engine dress up: fuel rail, spark, fuse and PCM covers
Inner headlight bezels
Dash trim kits.

Other things would either be very VERY pricey or extremely difficult to make. Keep the ideas coming tho. Also, don't ask about price quotes yet, cuz I don't have them. I'm actually working on that now.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ~Mike~
I'm actually e-mailing him right now. Current most popular interests are:
A Pillars with 1, 2, and 3 pod option
Cluster bezel with 1 and 2 pod option
Engine dress up: fuel rail, spark, fuse and PCM covers
Inner headlight bezels
Dash trim kits.

Other things would either be very VERY pricey or extremely difficult to make. Keep the ideas coming tho. Also, don't ask about price quotes yet, cuz I don't have them. I'm actually working on that now.
ugh all those are a waste.

CF fenders, replacement roof, doors, headlight replacement covers (take headlights out and put these in for track days), front TA or koni challenge lip.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Bannned

def carbon fiber gauge pods and interior trim. if you can swing it, front fenders

I don't think the trim is made in CF from any other company besides GM and it's cheap crap that's not even CF. It's an imposter! lol
ahha yea its a carbon fiber overlay, not real. some member bought it back in the day and was pissed

Last edited by ColeJJones; 10-14-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by northvibe
ugh all those are a waste.

CF fenders, replacement roof, doors, headlight replacement covers (take headlights out and put these in for track days), front TA or koni challenge lip.
You do realize those would be ungodly expensive, right? That rear diffuser someone asked about, he gave me a quote on. $695 shipped anywhere in the US. So, I could imagine that fenders would be 2k+. But, if you want, I'll ask anyway.

Originally Posted by ColeJJones
def carbon fiber gauge pods and interior trim. if you can swing it, front fenders

ahha yea its a carbon fiber overlay, not real. some member bought it back in the day and was pissed
He's quoting the trim kits as overlay's as well. But, it'd be real CF overlay and clear resin'd

Last edited by ~Mike~; 10-14-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM

Replacement parts ONLY...no overlay crap.

Originally Posted by redssna
Actually replacement roof i would buy the day it came out. overlay would be a waste.
x2
Old 10-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Ok, well just so you guys are aware, REPLACEMENT parts are going to be expensive as ****. No offense, but cobalt owners haven't really been known to throw out big $$ on their cars asthetically. Performance, yeah we spend a pretty penny. But would you guys seriously pay 2k plus for fenders or a roof in CF? Cuz I've seen these CF threads before and everyone says they'll buy and then when the prices are released, everyone says "that's to expensive, I'm not wasting my money". I'll shoot him an e-mail and ask about prices for solid replacement CF parts, but I don't think anybody is going to like the prices we get quoted
Old 10-14-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm too JDM for you

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the CF roof wrap would be a hit. not too expensive to create and it gets the look a lot of people desire. im getting mine done by a local
Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM

Ok guys, I just re-emailed him about total replacement parts, but something tells me nobody is going to like the prices at all.

BTW, in that previous post, I didn't intend for anyone to sound like a cheapskate but at the same time, most of these CF threads blow up and then when prices are posted, everyone runs when they see them.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 PM

Ok guys, I just re-emailed him about total replacement parts, but something tells me nobody is going to like the prices at all.

BTW, in that previous post, I didn't intend for anyone to sound like a cheapskate but at the same time, most of these CF threads blow up and then when prices are posted, everyone runs when they see them.
i get what ur saying about some of the bigger stuff but a replacement fuse box cover or trim piece or other little pieces shouldnt be too bad..
Old 10-14-2009, 11:35 PM

Eh, we'll see when I get his e-mail response tomorrow. I'm tellin ya tho, the cost of fenders roofs and doors and **** is gonna be big$$
Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 213 Likes on 172 Posts
bump
Old 10-15-2009, 01:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
the roof is a good idea. make one with a sunroof option.

but first and foremost...replacement lip, side skirts, rear lip....at least make one set for me
Old 10-15-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
the roof is a good idea. make one with a sunroof option.

but first and foremost...replacement lip, side skirts, rear lip....at least make one set for me

you sir dont get one your not special
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by LOUD SS/SC
you sir dont get one your not special
Get out! I am!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Scythe_Snake
I MUST HAVE...

CF OEM replacement from lip, side skirts, and rear lip.

Those are the three parts I want. Not an add on lip, but a REPLACEMENT!
Wow lots of interest, very good

I'll try to answer most all your questions, and please forgive me if I can't get to all of the questions at once, but email me if you want to see a specific part made.

From what i read many of you want: CF eyelids, cf liner buckets inside the headlights, Front splitter (same as oem? ) that is a little unusuall, most people don't like oem stuff.
You also want engine dress up parts, cf roof ? I would need a local guy for that project who wants a cf roof himself. I'm in Glendale Arizona.

Oem side skirts. I have a side skirt project going on currently that I need to complete first so those people can get their parts. Different type of car. I am willing to mold a set, price if no special mounting tabs from behind are needed will be around $400 to 500 a pair. Group buy would cost close to $400 shipped anywhere in the USA. Again I would need to see the backside of one of these skirts and know the exact length to give a more accurate price.

Front lip spoiler air dam... I need pics of what you want made in cf. to quote a price.

Gage pod thing.... send me your stock one Mike, if you would and if you are willing to buy one in carbon fiber. Also send me the dimensions of the gages you guys want to use.. diameter of mounting hole and where exactly to place the pod holes in it and how far out the holes need to pertrude for clearance. Price $225.

Interior 4 piece people want done in cf... can't do replacement interior pieces. Customer would have to send me their interior pieces for real cf overlay process. Takes 7 to 10 days to overlay 4 parts, + 1 or 2 days return shipping time.

Roof overlays... local only, I charge approx $500 for a permanent overlay that can not be removed. It would be clear coated with 2K urethane paint.

Roof cap.... do you want to cut out your steel roof and just have a replacement cap? Cap price will run $375. You would have to do all the cutting and fitting or pay a shop to do it.
This is a structural cap.... high strength epoxy resin, several layers of carbon fiber and kevlar.

Rear diffuser... pretty expensive because of shape and materials.. $500.

Door sill pair that says supercharged or turbocharged $150 pair, without back-lighting. With backlighting... break your piggy bank open.

I'll have to read more, then respond to questions. Thank you guys.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by cfcreations
Wow lots of interest, very good

I'll try to answer most all your questions, and please forgive me if I can't get to all of the questions at once, but email me if you want to see a specific part made.

From what i read many of you want: CF eyelids, cf liner buckets inside the headlights, Front splitter (same as oem? ) that is a little unusuall, most people don't like oem stuff.
You also want engine dress up parts, cf roof ? I would need a local guy for that project who wants a cf roof himself. I'm in Glendale Arizona.

Oem side skirts. I have a side skirt project going on currently that I need to complete first so those people can get their parts. Different type of car. I am willing to mold a set, price if no special mounting tabs from behind are needed will be around $400 to 500 a pair. Group buy would cost close to $400 shipped anywhere in the USA. Again I would need to see the backside of one of these skirts and know the exact length to give a more accurate price.

Front lip spoiler air dam... I need pics of what you want made in cf. to quote a price.

Gage pod thing.... send me your stock one Mike, if you would and if you are willing to buy one in carbon fiber. Also send me the dimensions of the gages you guys want to use.. diameter of mounting hole and where exactly to place the pod holes in it and how far out the holes need to pertrude for clearance. Price $225.

Interior 4 piece people want done in cf... can't do replacement interior pieces. Customer would have to send me their interior pieces for real cf overlay process. Takes 7 to 10 days to overlay 4 parts, + 1 or 2 days return shipping time.

Roof overlays... local only, I charge approx $500 for a permanent overlay that can not be removed. It would be clear coated with 2K urethane paint.

Roof cap.... do you want to cut out your steel roof and just have a replacement cap? Cap price will run $375. You would have to do all the cutting and fitting or pay a shop to do it.
This is a structural cap.... high strength epoxy resin, several layers of carbon fiber and kevlar.

Rear diffuser... pretty expensive because of shape and materials.. $500.

Door sill pair that says supercharged or turbocharged $150 pair, without back-lighting. With backlighting... break your piggy bank open.

I'll have to read more, then respond to questions. Thank you guys.
Roof sheet metal is not structural. The structure is in the pillers and cross braces. The roof skin is just that, a skin. If someone drilled the spot welds on the stock skin, you could make that exact piece and someone would just have to epoxy yours on.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by blackout 09
i would like fog light covers,eyelids,door handles,mirror cover, thats all i realy want thanks

door handles, no problem. How much $ is a set new? I can overlay them for you and have them shipped out. What year is your Cobalt?

Fog light covers? Anyone making them now? I don't queit understand how they would fit.

Rear view mirror, send it in for overlay. Side mirrors, send them in for overlay. 1 year warranty.

The dash guy, send me what pieces are detachable or if you want the entire dash cf ship it in. I would need pics to quote prices.

The person who hates the silver trim, send in pics and I can quote a price for all of it as a bundle.

Last edited by cfcreations; 10-15-2009 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 PM

DANG!!! $400 for sie skirts isnt bad at all!!! id buy a Carbon fiber front lip deff. id kinda like to see some designs of a non OEM one. id like a different look than stock.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:00 PM

carbon fiber stock ss A-pillar with boost guage opening, and stock passenger side
Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM

Group buy? I think this would be the most popular, plus it can go on any Cobalt or G5.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:14 PM

I'd buy the replacement roof, lip, skirts. dash trim inside i'll do myself in a dry wrap most likely. prices seem pretty reasonable. And to the guy who said people don't buy anything, how many products have really been released. most companies won't come out with real prices or any kind of prototype before they say we suck and bail.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:16 PM

Ok, I will see if Mike will send me his gage surround and we will start it from there.

I know it will not cost less than $150 with group buy. Just too much work involved making a nice looking new part. Hopefully there is not a bunch of tabs on the backside of the oem part.

Also I'd like to get an oem roof cap if possible. If someone on the forum can drill their spot welds out, pop off the roof and ship it to me for duplication? I understand this is a big "risk" you may percieve in shipping your roof to someone you don't know. I will give a 60% discount off of $375 to that person for doing so. I can have them one made in 14 days. It will be carbon/kevlar epoxy construction with 2K gloss or matte clear coated. matte finish is just an option.

These funds will then go to the forum owner for me to become a paid sponsor. If the people like they can send the money to the forum owners with first consulting me. I still need to find out how much sponsorship costs. If someone knows please PM me the price.

Thank you guys, I appreciate all my customers and look forward to suppling you with high quality cf parts.

The guy who is dying for cf side skirts... we can overlay them for cheaper than you buying all new cf parts. Typically I get between $500 and $900 for a pair of side skirts that are 100% cf. Nobody is going to know they are overlays, not unless you tell them.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:29 PM

i would definitely be interested in a cf front lip. stock or something like what red_line_cobalt has
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id be interested in a carbon fiber front lip, gauge pod and the pieces in the interior that everyone paints (but in carbon fiber, obviously). oh yea and mirror cover would be awesome too!

oh and a dual pod gauge bezel in carbon fiber would be pretty sweet also!

Last edited by revolution607@yahoo.; 10-15-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Ok, I will see if Mike will send me his gage surround and we will start it from there.

I know it will not cost less than $150 with group buy. Just too much work involved making a nice looking new part. Hopefully there is not a bunch of tabs on the backside of the oem part.
These should help with production ideas.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Development