General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

clutch pedal position and cruise control issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch pedal position and cruise control issues

My clutch pedal position is causing cruise control engagement issues. When I search this forum - this subject comes up several times - but I haven't read of anyone making any successful adjustments. Has anyone actually either replaced the clutch pedal or made a clutch pedal position switch adjustment?

Basically - the cruise control thinks the pedal is depressed enough to think the clutch is down - and therefore the CC won't engage. Sometimes - I can lift my clutch pedal up a very small amount until I hit a hard limit(put my foot under the pedal and lift up ... while driving) - and then the CC will engage. This may work for several days - but then even that won't work. However - if I disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and then reconnect - the cruise control will work again (with the foot under clutch trick). It is not clear to me why the CC totally stops working - maybe bad position switch??

Has anyone ever adjusted the clutch position switch - which I believe is at the very top of the clutch pedal mechanism? I can't see the switch from under the dash - but I am convinced one is there! There is alot of wiring and other components there making access difficult. I am just wondering what is involved. This CC clutch switch is not to be confused with the other clutch pedal switch that determines you have fully depressed the clutch pedal.

I suspect that my clutch pedal sags a little (also described on this forum). Several years ago, when pressing my clutch - a 3" long spring component ricocheted out of the clutch pedal (others have experienced this). The clutch pedal continues to function. However - I wonder if it contributes to the sagged clutch position issue.

The first time this issue came up - maybe 4 years ago (prior to the shooting spring) - when I didn't know what was going on - I took it to the dealer. All they did was disconnect/connect the battery - and the CC started working again... for another 6 months. Then it stopped working. But that didn't correct the root cause.

Comments?
IW
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you may have come across my post a while back where my cc was having the same issue. Did u install after market bulbs in your 3rd brake light or do you have a 3rd brake light bulb burned out? I know that can cause our cc to not engage. The only thing that I did was rather than taking my foot & lifting up on my clutch peddle I actually lifted up on my brake peddle with my right foot while engaging cc. I only had to do that just the one time & my cc has worked ever since! My guess with my issue was that I had just installed my tripple gauge pod & was working down around my peddles when running my wiring so I think I may have slightly bumped my brake positioning sensor out of place which caused my cc to think that my brake was being pressed slightly causing my cc to disengage.

You may want to take a look at your break peddle or brake positioning sensor
Old 02-02-2018, 01:31 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
a few years back i started having issues with my cruise control dropping out, and it started setting clutch pedal position switch codes. about a week later the firewall broke and the master cylinder punched through. the flex that was going on in the firewall was causing the clutch pedal not to come all the way back up.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Doug's Cobalt SS SC
So you may have come across my post a while back where my cc was having the same issue. Did u install after market bulbs in your 3rd brake light or do you have a 3rd brake light bulb burned out? I know that can cause our cc to not engage. The only thing that I did was rather than taking my foot & lifting up on my clutch peddle I actually lifted up on my brake peddle with my right foot while engaging cc. I only had to do that just the one time & my cc has worked ever since! My guess with my issue was that I had just installed my tripple gauge pod & was working down around my peddles when running my wiring so I think I may have slightly bumped my brake positioning sensor out of place which caused my cc to think that my brake was being pressed slightly causing my cc to disengage.

You may want to take a look at your break peddle or brake positioning sensor
Thanks - yes - I saw your previous post concerning the 3rd brake light. I recently replaced a bad bulb in the 3rd brake light (and I went ahead and replaced all 3 bulbs) - after a friend informed me it was out. My guess is - the bulb was out for years and I didn't know it. Well - my CC was out for the past 2 years also. It was mere coincidence that I sought forum info on the CC issues soon after replacing the bulbs (not realizing there was a connection) - and noticed your post.
I also wondered if it was my brake pedal position. However - after resetting the battery - the CC still would not engage when pulling up on the brake pedal. To my amazement - I lifted up the clutch pedal and the CC immediately engaged. I have repeated the scenario several times since. So - for me - it is the clutch pedal position.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sharkey
a few years back i started having issues with my cruise control dropping out, and it started setting clutch pedal position switch codes. about a week later the firewall broke and the master cylinder punched through. the flex that was going on in the firewall was causing the clutch pedal not to come all the way back up.
Thanks for sharing that. I would never have thought that was possible.

What was the fix for the firewall?
Old 02-05-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
i was unable to find a firewall plate without going to remove one at a junkyard, so instead i had a billet piece made that went under the clutch pedal mount and allowed the master cylinder to lock into it.