General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Controversy over on **************

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zinner
It's the SRT-Forums and it's the war stories section. Do yourselves a favor and don't waste your time reading all the retarded posts. It's just trash talk and rude comments.

You said it... somewhat like this site aswell... arguing like a bunch of little girls.

Now how many of you clicked that link to just add to the bs to defend you car?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:48 PM
Banned

Pretty plain and simple.

- Cars are equal in acceleration contrary to what some want to belive
- One has 2 doors the other has 4, I prefer 2
- Both are capable of beating the living hell out of V8's no worries about Vtec
- The front of the SRT-4 is pretty damn cool loking but the SS wins from all other views

I do truthfully think that the SS isn't given the respect it deserves and I really hope me or someone else can get some traction and run a 13.?? then wht will there be to argue about?
Old 07-11-2005, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by b-spot
God the inferiority complex on here is getting old fast.

Indeed. im glad though for the most part, we are quick to forgive and collectively pounce on those who step out of line.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 AM

Actually, what I find funny about that post is that they say the SRT4 engine has more potential that the Ecotec engine...

Interesting how the fastest car in the drag scene right now is a 2.2 Cobalt... running at 200+MPH in the 6 secs zone for the 1/4 mile...

http://ndra.nopi.com/2005/kd_dsp_art...l.cfm?vaid=259

Then again, I love the sound of an after market blowoff valve on an SRT... too bad it would be pointless to put one on an supercharger...
Old 07-12-2005, 06:52 AM

everytime i hear the whine of a s/c, i kinda wish i had one. especially when they get into the higher rpms when is sounds mean. oh well..turbo whine isnt that bad
Old 07-12-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by codyss
Pretty plain and simple.

- Cars are equal in acceleration contrary to what some want to belive
- One has 2 doors the other has 4, I prefer 2
- Both are capable of beating the living hell out of V8's no worries about Vtec
- The front of the SRT-4 is pretty damn cool loking but the SS wins from all other views

I do truthfully think that the SS isn't given the respect it deserves and I really hope me or someone else can get some traction and run a 13.?? then wht will there be to argue about?

I am a Chevy man, but I will still tell you the SRT-4 IS QUICKER stock. When are you going to realize this?
Old 07-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Banned

It is only quicker when it gets better traction. Which is easier due the fact that the SRT-4 is geared differently and has a turbo that can be better controlled when launching.

If all things were equal it's a drivers race. Period
Old 07-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Keebler
everytime i hear the whine of a s/c, i kinda wish i had one. especially when they get into the higher rpms when is sounds mean. oh well..turbo whine isnt that bad
The whine reminds me of how much gas I'm sucking up! hehe
Old 07-12-2005, 11:20 AM

i agree, o and no OFFENSE to anyone who does own a srt, i was just sating the fact that ive been seeing so many fouled plugs, and other common chrysler/dodge problems with them. a friend of mine from hgih school has one and all he does is complain about it
Old 07-12-2005, 11:41 AM

The reason why I didnt get one was because Theres way too many on the streets. Its like a honda civic here in miami already. Everytime you go out you see like one or two. And i didnt want to be Anoter ME TOO srt4. So i got my cobalt and i love it,
Old 07-12-2005, 12:59 PM

I can't believe that all it takes is one troll to send an entire community on those forums into an uproar. I think once they realise they're both cars and are designed to get you from A to B (some faster than others ) everyone would be a lot better off.

Originally Posted by Keebler
I'm still stuck on this one because I'm considering modifications for my car but I'm still not sure if I prefer the whine of the S/C or the sound of a boosting turbo ! I think it will all come down to what won't void my warranty so it might end up being the GM bolt-on S/C for the LS. Maybe I should worry about breaking my engine in first .

Permafried-
Old 07-12-2005, 02:00 PM

It is only quicker when it gets better traction. Which is easier due the fact that the SRT-4 is geared differently and has a turbo that can be better controlled when launching.

But they aren't. They aren't equal, because they ARE geared different, and the turbo IS better controlled. So it IS quicker. Period.

Well they aren't equal. Don't pull a ricer whine, "well when I do this, this and this then i'll beat you" Yea, but its not the same race anymore.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by codyss

That has got to be one of the most retarded posts I have ever read!

If a Corvette and an Aveo were more equal that would be a drivers race too.....BUT THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry codySS , but every time I read one of your posts I can hear my brain cells sizzle.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TastLikChikn
Actually, what I find funny about that post is that they say the SRT4 engine has more potential that the Ecotec engine...

Interesting how the fastest car in the drag scene right now is a 2.2 Cobalt... running at 200+MPH in the 6 secs zone for the 1/4 mile...

http://ndra.nopi.com/2005/kd_dsp_art...l.cfm?vaid=259

Then again, I love the sound of an after market blowoff valve on an SRT... too bad it would be pointless to put one on an supercharger...
Apples to apples guys, even in the GM sport compact build book they are rating the rods and pistons of the LSJ for under 300HP, now if that was the case of the SRT my stage 3 would have blown up long ago...dont compare a drag car race prepped to street cars they have as much in common as an apple does to a steak....

the SRT-4 is a race proven stout motor that can push 400FWHP with the addition of a $3g kit, idle like a cadillac and drive like one too if you stay out of boost, but get on it and hang on you are in for a RIDE! nuff said
Old 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SS_SC_Cobalt
the SRT-4 is a race proven stout motor that can push 400FWHP with the addition of a $3g kit, idle like a cadillac and drive like one too if you stay out of boost, but get on it and hang on you are in for a RIDE! nuff said
Nothing like 400whp in a 3000lb car to put a smile on your face. My car runs through 3rd gear now REALLY quick. 1st when it hooks up is just a blur, and 2nd gear is gone just about as quick. I'm shifting into 4th just about at the 1/8 mile now. 0 to 90mph in 8 seconds will put a big grin on your face.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:11 PM

codyss will never come to realzie his cobalt ss is slower the srt-4. He just wont accept the fact. But anyway I like both cars a lot but the srt-4's and the aftermarket they have are just incredible. The cobalt ss will never have the aftermarket like the srt-4. Its GM were talking about. How long did it take them to get the supercharger out for the older 2002 and under cavaliers, people with 2003-2005's are still waiting. When it comes to speed dodge gots the lineup right now Srt10,dodge magnum srt-8. charger srt-8,srt-4, and the viper all of them cars are putting down impressive numbers.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 PM

ive been watching this post.. and laughing alot.. but mostly at the stupidity of CodySS.. i love my SS no doubt... and when i was shopping.. i went to the dodge dealer.. but was turned off by their service and the offers at the dealer i was at. the bottom line is that for drag racing/street racing.. which most people on here are comparing these cars for.. the srt is faster stock.. no matter what we do. now if we were to all meet up at laguna seca and run a few laps.. id be interested to see who would come out on top. i used to drive a volvo c70.. yes a volvo.. but it was a 5cyl turbo auto. and it was an awsome car.. and i do miss turbo fun (even thought my gf drives a 1.8t chipped.. so i still have some turbo fun).. once Cody gets his head out of his ass and realizes that he cant compare.. maybe some of this slandering will stop. But as for now, ill give the 1/4 mile to the dodge guys.. but watch your ass when we start gettin are ****.. hopefully.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:44 PM

"i agree, o and no OFFENSE to anyone who does own a srt, i was just sating the fact that ive been seeing so many fouled plugs, and other common chrysler/dodge problems with them. a friend of mine from hgih school has one and all he does is complain about it"

im almost at 12k miles and no complaints from me. only thing i had a small gripe about was the oil going from the crankcase to the airbox, but now that i have my catch can, im all gravy. and new plugs arent that expensive, and i was going to get new ones anyways, but mine havent fouled. mainly because i dont drive like a ding-bat, and CAUSE **** to break. but thats just me.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by xautobotx
The cobalt ss will never have the aftermarket like the srt-4.
I really hope that GM comes through and makes you eat those words.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by smarc

true that..
Old 07-12-2005, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by smarc
they will have an aftermarket, but it will take it sometime to get to where the srt aftermarket is now. i dont doubt the ss will have a huge one, but it will take it a few years to get the ball rolling, i would assume.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:32 PM

actually there is a GM book on the net somewhere where you can get the ecotec built up to 1000 hp

if you have the money, im sure we can build an ecotec faster than an SRT4

we have to realize we have a restriction with the supercharger.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:01 PM

keebler i totally agree with you on the driving like a ding bat. i mostly blame my friend for not having a proper break in plus his car seems like a lemon anyway, (hes had some freak problems)
Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 PM

Pushing 1000hp out of one of these engines isn't for the backyard mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. You're going to need a tuner that knows what he's doing for sure. Shawn Carlson's SRT-4 isn't having problems making horsepower... it's having difficulty getting traction and keeping the custom transmission together. I'm pretty sure he's either very close to or over 1000whp as well.

10.5:1 + 52lbs of Boost + Nitrous means ALOT depends on the tuner. Get it just a "little" off and you'll be pulling chunks of the engine out of the dyno box.

Bottom line is, if you throw enough money at BOTH engines, you're going to get similiar results. The question is, for those that are wanting to make some decent street power, what's the dollar to dollar difference in building a 400whp SRT-4 vs a 400whp Cobalt, how about 500 vs 500, 600 vs 600 and so on. The stock long block in the SRT-4 is good for up to about 500whp (450 safer). I honestly don't know what each of the Cobalt's engines are good for... and no one will probably know for sure until someone goes over the limit.

I would venture a guess that the Dollar to HP ratio up to 500whp, that the SRT-4 will win... at least for now. The Pioneers in the Cobalt world will be the ones to spend the dollars to find the cheapest ways to reliably make the power; after that it'll will be up to the aftermarket to catch up. Ultimately it all depends on how much boost the stock Cobalt long block can take. Above 500hp and I'm betting that some serious engine building is necessary to withstand the power for both platforms.

My personal goal for my SRT-4 is consistant 10's, which probably means mid 10's in the winter and high 10's in the summer. I'm planning a fully built bottom end and NRGY Race Ported head, pushing 500+ on the turbo (the GT30BB I have should do be capable) + another 100 or so on Nitrous.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:22 PM

I just can't figure out why Dodge isn't very competitive in any racing that involves turning...

Oh wait, I know why.

The SRT-4 is cool, but I cannot stand that interior. The Cobalt is much, much better.

Oh and by the way, GM engineers validated the LSJ to 350 hp with stock hardware. The SRT-4 IS NOT VALIDATED to 400 hp. Just because some guy got it to work a few times does not mean that it is by any means validated.

In short, the validation process means that 350 hp is a completely sustainable number and does not compromise any of the hardware in the vehicle. A 400 hp figure in the Neon is UNKNOWN. So, that argument is total BS.

Quick Reply: Controversy over on **************