General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Controversy over on **************

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dogde has a rally srt but im not sure how they do, i dont follow rally racing
Old 07-12-2005, 09:30 PM

^^ along with the reliability thing, there was a post and times and what not of an srt-4 hitting 9's with stock internals...

i doubt it will last very long before things start snapping though.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by hitthecones
I just can't figure out why Dodge isn't very competitive in any racing that involves turning...
Really?

One Lap of America Results
1st Overall: Car #1 - Porsche 996 TT; Mark DaVia, Drew Wikstrom

2nd Overall: Car #2 - Dodge Viper; Brian Smith, John Hennessey

The Class Winners:
Mid-Priced: Car #63 Dodge SRT-4; Dale Seeley, Kolin Aspergren, Jamin Cummings

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

Originally Posted by selfinfliction
yeah lol... if someone calls my car a cavalier i could care less cause i know the dude is dumb to the fact... but lord no.. never call an srt a neon lol even though it is.
It is a Neon, it says on the information sheet "Dodge Neon SRT4". I've seen a SRT4s get beat by a WRX Sport Wagon. Try telling them that.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:02 PM

The SRT-4 IS NOT VALIDATED to 400 hp. Just because some guy got it to work a few times does not mean that it is by any means validated.
Uh, you need to go back and do some more research. The Stock block is designed to work in conjunction w/ the Mopar Stage III kit, which can produce 380whp on race gas. So saying that Chrysler engineers never "validated" it to 400whp is moot.

Also it's more than just "some guy got it to work a few times." It is many, many guys all around the country, including yours truly that has come close to or exceeded 400whp on the stock block. IIRC AGP Turbo alone has sold more than 100 "big turbo" kits, and while not everyone running a big turbo kit from AGP is pushing 400+whp, probably 80% or so are, and then there are the other "big turbo" upgrade vendors. All in all, across the country there's probably close to 200 SRT-4's running in excess of 400whp on the stock block. So your argument doesn't hold water.

The stock crank is good for up to about 600whp... after that we can step up to the MADI crank (built by Mopar but not sold under the Mopar name for some odd reason) which is rated for 800+whp... or should I say 800+ ft/lbs of torque (since it is torque that actually breaks things).
Old 07-12-2005, 10:28 PM

alright, how about this guys. a car is a car. i'll take them all. give me a wrx and i'll be happy. give me an st4 and i'll be happy. give me a cobalt ss and i'll be happy. if it breaks, then f**king fix it.

whatever happened to respect.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:09 PM

I think that the Cobalt will own the SRT's face off once it gets some performance aftermarket support. How long has the SRT been out vs. the Cobalt?
Old 07-12-2005, 11:27 PM

As would I. I still wish I hadn't wreaked my 1997 Neon. I'd love to have built it up to run another 5-10 years. It was a good and relaible car. Just like the Cobalt
Old 07-12-2005, 11:36 PM
JCX

I Oh and by the way, GM engineers validated the LSJ to 350 hp with stock hardware. The SRT-4 IS NOT VALIDATED to 400 hp. Just because some guy got it to work a few times does not mean that it is by any means validated.

In short, the validation process means that 350 hp is a completely sustainable number and does not compromise any of the hardware in the vehicle. A 400 hp figure in the Neon is UNKNOWN. So, that argument is total BS.
Keep spreading the BS.

The fact is that guys have been running 400+WHP since shortly after the car came out. There are dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of cars in that range with no problems (other than blown clutches ) so don't tell us it's UNKNOWN. It's to the point where no one bats an eye when someone hit's 400 WHP in the SRT-4. Why? It's too damn common!

I don't mind people $hit talking the SRT-4, just make sure it's true.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:39 PM
JCX

Originally Posted by fire_cky
alright, how about this guys. a car is a car. i'll take them all. give me a wrx and i'll be happy. give me an st4 and i'll be happy. give me a cobalt ss and i'll be happy. if it breaks, then f**king fix it.

whatever happened to respect.
Agreed 100%.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:46 PM

<---me @ this thread
Old 07-13-2005, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JCX
Keep spreading the BS.

The fact is that guys have been running 400+WHP since shortly after the car came out. There are dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of cars in that range with no problems (other than blown clutches ) so don't tell us it's UNKNOWN. It's to the point where no one bats an eye when someone hit's 400 WHP in the SRT-4. Why? It's too damn common!

I don't mind people $hit talking the SRT-4, just make sure it's true.
Do you actually know what the validation process is for powertrain? I'm guessing not, or you wouldn't have posted. Bud, for something to be validated, that means (in a very simple sense) that a 350 hp LSJ will work just like any other LSJ or other GM engine on earth. In fact, the GM validation process is more intense than what DCX does. This is evidenced by the warranty stuff coming out of DCX lately...but anyway.

The SRT-4 stuff is stout, but how robust is it? Does that 400 hp car start in -40 degree weather? Will a 400 hp beast readily start up in 120 degree heat? Does it idle smoothly all the time? Can it run a wide variety of fuels? Will it last 200,000 miles of moderate usage? Will it work with all of the other stock hardware in the car? I'm not going to go into the rest of it, but basically, the LSJ with 350 hp can, and that's pretty darn impressive.

What you guys have posted so far is that you have said that some group of people have experienced increased hp levels. That's great. Unless I'm missing something big here, DCX never went through this process. Sure a block may be "good" for 400 hp, but what does that really mean? Does that mean that it scuffs bores at 410 hp? Does that mean that the valves float at 412.2 hp? So the crank is good for 600 hp...what happens at 601 hp?

The bottom line is that it is quite likely that the LSJ can do all of this also, but it's much more to say that the manufacturer is telling you guys that the LSJ is good to 170% of its advertised horespower.

Where's the BS again? I'm just trying to add a little REAL information to this thread.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good lord people, this better not become a regular things.