General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

did you mod your lease?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you mod your lease?

ok, seing as how ther's a big debate going on about leasing and purchase financing,
i figure i'd start a thread on who modded their lease and what you did to it

i'll go first

short antenna
yellow top
jbp engine mount
jbp strut brace
kenwood dvd deck

to come is
gmpp cat back
gmpp manifold
gmpp intake
Old 11-29-2006, 10:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry but why would you modify a leased vehicle?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:09 PM

buying it out at the end, it worked out for cheaper payments and it actually costs me less in the long run

I didnt mod my Grand Prix.. but truly wanted to.. ne ways i wouldnt mess w/ a lease, but i got a buddy who modded his STI w/out ne problems.

I did, got a GMPP S2 (on the lease), got a CAI, pulley and getting a catback and manifold!! but that will be all, oh and got my wheel refinished in two tone.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:11 PM

cheaper payments, at the end the buyback isnt big, so Ill have the cashj to buy it! so really its the same cost to me, just smaller payment in the mean time!! and if i dont want to keep it anymore, strip the parts and bring back the car!

^^^and it was a lease right? either way, if gm wont let me do it, i'll just finance the rest of the car.. f*ck it, i have most of the money to just buy the car, i really wanna build credit, and this car and my credit card, making payments on time, its doing wonders for my credit

You can buy it at the end. Payments are usually 100 dollars lower per month compared to buying.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:12 PM

i have and i am still planning 2

reason is that i will be buying even before the lease is up

lease was just to build credit

and modding comes before buying lol
Old 11-29-2006, 10:12 PM

this thread has gone of topic.... please guys/gals, i know a lot of people on here with leases has mods,
Old 11-29-2006, 10:14 PM

yeah mine is leased!! At the point of purchase, i just told them to add a S2 in the payments!! So i got my S2 without comming out with the $$ If only i would of known, I would of added the manifold and catback!! Oh well!! oh yeah builds credit to!!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by CbYellowSS
i have and i am still planning 2

reason is that i will be buying even before the lease is up

lease was just to build credit

and modding comes before buying lol

lol me n u did the same thing, im heading out for a really late dinner, i'll be back to check up on who modded their lease, and please, lets try to just stick to that guys, thanks
Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 PM

The thing I'm worried about is that when you're ready to buy your car, right now, technically, you're driving around the dealerships car...it's not your car, so when you go to buy it, you're buying it back from them and then they are going to penalty you for making unauthorized changes to the vehicle. It's kind of like I give you a car and you change the color of the car without my permission.

See what I mean?
Old 11-29-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mines leased
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
p7x

Awww Yaaaa
Old 11-29-2006, 11:00 PM

what do u mean by giving u a penalty?? If iam leasing and i want to buy it, they dont even need to see the car. I can do whatever i want to it if iam buying it at the end?? If I would bring it back it needs to be under a certain condition, but not if iam keeping it??
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
The thing I'm worried about is that when you're ready to buy your car, right now, technically, you're driving around the dealerships car...it's not your car, so when you go to buy it, you're buying it back from them and then they are going to penalty you for making unauthorized changes to the vehicle. It's kind of like I give you a car and you change the color of the car without my permission.

See what I mean?
Fortunately that isn't the way it is. If you plan to buy it they don't care, you could have painted it. If the situation you described was accurate they could charge you for excess miles you have put on even if you were planning to keep it. Also, I have seen leased trucks with Line-x sprayed in bedliners turned in after lease. The one I have seen the guy was not penalized for it. My car is a lease and I am happy with the things I have done. I plan to try and sell the car as is but if no one wants it I will put it back to stock and it will get turned in.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by NJHK
See what I mean?

A couple of corrections.
-It is not the dealership's car. It is the leasing company's (GMAC). The way leasing works is that the dealership sells the car to the leasing company, which rents the car to you.

-If you plan to buy at the end of lease, they don't give a damn what you have done to your car. <-- that's pretty much a direct quote from the gmac financial guy I was dealing with when I got my Cobalt. If you plan to buy, they don't care about, aftermarket stuff, going over your allowed kilometers and such because you are obligated by your lease agreement to pay the expected worth of your vehicle (which was calculated at the time of signing).
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by martinsmu
what do u mean by giving u a penalty?? If iam leasing and i want to buy it, they dont even need to see the car. I can do whatever i want to it if iam buying it at the end?? If I would bring it back it needs to be under a certain condition, but not if iam keeping it??
I would assume that they'd want to see the condition of the vehicle to help determine the rest of the payments and the value.

Granted, I don't know much about car leases but this is what I was under the impression of.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by JakeU
A couple of corrections.
-It is not the dealership's car. It is the leasing company's (GMAC). The way leasing works is that the dealership sells the car to the leasing company, which rents the car to you.

-If you plan to buy at the end of lease, they don't give a damn what you have done to your car. <-- that's pretty much a direct quote from the gmac financial guy I was dealing with when I got my Cobalt. If you plan to buy, they don't care about, aftermarket stuff, going over your allowed kilometers and such because you are obligated by your lease agreement to pay the expected worth of your vehicle (which was calculated at the time of signing).
eeexxxaaccclllyyy!! thats what I was told to!! Thats why I put whatever I want and go wherever I want. At the end I plan on buying it!1 And if finances permits, I'll take all the stuff off, pay the access miles and get a new stronger Cobalt SS/SC(hopefully not turbo). Yeah I am one a million, but personnaly I prefer supercharge sound, looks and its different!! So I would prefer supercharge over turbo
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 PM

No no, at the end of the lease, if you want to keep the car, you pay whatever the buy back is!! The car can have 400000 miles, or 10000 miles (fully modded). You have the first offer to buy the car over any and everyone!
Old 11-29-2006, 11:11 PM

im on a lease right now. and it is gonna cost me less to buy the car at the end of it then in i just fiananced it there. and ive got intake,gmpp manifold,xtc downtube with no cat,magnaflow cat back,zenn lowering springs,most of the interior taken out or re painted,blitz front bumper, rest of the kit to come,cross drilled/slotted rotors in the front.The next part is comin in the months to come. cams,adj can gears,wideband o2 and a fuel pressureizer and a mini afc 2.2 .
Old 11-29-2006, 11:19 PM

I dont have a damn thing done to mine yet. Hopefully xmas and winter break I'll be able to work tons to buy the CAI, header, exhaust, projectors and I'll be happy for the time beings.

But yah, I sat there with my cousin "the dealer" and we discussed everything. He basically said its kinda dumb to finance the car to buy it. It's smarter for smaller payment and credit builder to lease and purchase the buyout at the end of the 4 years. I've yet to calculate that exact number out.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by martinsmu
No no, at the end of the lease, if you want to keep the car, you pay whatever the buy back is!! The car can have 400000 miles, or 10000 miles (fully modded). You have the first offer to buy the car over any and everyone!
Ok, cool. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cobalt_Kid
im on a lease right now. and it is gonna cost me less to buy the car at the end of it then in i just fiananced it there. and ive got intake,gmpp manifold,xtc downtube with no cat,magnaflow cat back,zenn lowering springs,most of the interior taken out or re painted,blitz front bumper, rest of the kit to come,cross drilled/slotted rotors in the front.The next part is comin in the months to come. cams,adj can gears,wideband o2 and a fuel pressureizer and a mini afc 2.2 .
Dude that alot of bones in the 2.2 eh!! How fast are u goin g to be in the 1/4 with that when ure done?? Hitting the cam and gears is serious stuff, I really want to know!

Quick Reply: did you mod your lease?