General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Exhaust Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
for sure the extra power make them sound better.

having a "muffler" that makes it quieter and makes lots of power is killin two birds with one stone
Old 12-04-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by cluelessk
Exactly. People need to learn loud doesn't mean good.

The worst I've heard was a 5.3 with true dual exhaust and no x-pipe.

Turbo's make good noises but they don't make your exhaust sound better. They're mufflers.

It's all the extra fuel burning that sounds good.
had a 53 chevy pickup in the shop a couple years back that we pulled the 396 big block out of and put a 6.0l ls engine in. the truck has nice stainless dual 3" with an h pipe that the owner wanted to reuse. it sounded terrible, so raspy, like a honda with a fart cannon. swapped the mufflers from flowmaster 44s to some big magnaflows and it wasnt much better. just too much exhaust pipe for a small engine.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that “clapped out” V8s sound terrible. Mine is true dual, no crossover with flow master 40s. I’m surprised with no crossover it doesn’t make the chopped sound. I believe mine has 2.5-2.75” piping which might help...
Completely agree that more loud is not better though. That’s why I left the factory muffler on my SS for so long until I had to have exhaust work done. There are for sure some diesels that sound like a major fart cannon lol 5” turbo back straight pipe is too loud. 4” is as big as necessary unless you’re going to run a muffler.