General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exactly. Funny how this exec must not have read all of the articles when the SS t/c first came out on how it was blowing away cars that cost far more..

And you know what else? The car is a basic economy car. Meant to be sold by the boat-full. Did it do that? Yes. I think that could be chalked up for a win..
Old 05-16-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Look what happened when Dodge axed their people mover and made it 'quieter' more 'posh' and 'have more usable space'

Just sayin'

And if he thinks the Coablt is bad...he needs to hop into a J-body

I am not defending my rattle box in the sense that I am 'offended' by what some snooty ******* pencil pusher said about it.

He's not paying my car payment.

When the only enthusiast car GM sells starts on a sedan platform and is outgunned by a lighter rival that offers more suspension under the car and better MPG...

I mean the enthusiast is a niche group, I get it...but Toyota got rid of their fun cars right around the 90s...Mitsubishi/Subaru turned their cheap rally car into some touring thing that is overpriced...Ford has given up on it all together, and Dodge as stated has bigger problems that are about to be solved by Fiat though.

Seems like we are going to get the Chevrolet Corolla with the Cruze.

Yay.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank
While driving his car, long time Cobalt SS enthusiast firemanfrank was blunt:
"Look at this guy, he's horrible. How did he get through so many people to make it to the top."

Karl "Friedrich" Stracke
Vice President, GM Global Vehicle Engineering

LMAO. Awesome.

I like his comment. It shows that GM wants customers to be 100% satisfied and build the best products in their class. We all need to raise our expectations and not accept the mediocrity of the quality of interiors etc. Yes it is a 17K car, and has a cheap rattling interior, but it could have a tight solid interior. GM can't afford to have a poor product anymore competition is too fierce, they need to make every car excellent quality, and not just for the price point.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by aterminatorz
We all need to raise our expectations and not accept the mediocrity of the quality of interiors etc.
Then lemme go bitch to GM about my Cobalt in hopes of them giving me a new CTS for free and see how far I get before getting arrested.. No chance. You bought the car, so deal.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSBalt
yeah my fiancee has a 4 door LT. It's all the same plastics, but for some reason it just feels less quality. She mentions it to me almost everyday. I just tell her she's crazy.
The SS has more sound dampening than the lower trim levels. I noticed that when I got the SS after I had the G5. More padding in the doors, there is padding on the back of the glove box. The latch for the trunk has some rubber there to reduce rattles from that.

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
I noticed my SS/TC steering wheel looked strikingly similar to the steering wheel on the vette in the showroom.
GM is using that three spoke wheel as their global wheel design. Only a few cars have a different steering wheel. The Vette had it first, then it trickled down from there.

Last edited by Nighthawk243; 05-16-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-16-2010, 12:16 PM

Manufacturers have been using similar parts for multiple vehicles forever..

I remember there being some part that people would joke with on a Neon or Caravan or something that was used in the Viper.. lol
Old 05-16-2010, 01:36 PM

lol its true but its the look and price that people go for I think. Thats what sold me anyways lol. I love the look of the car and of course I think they could have done a better job with the interior so it doesn't look so......well cheap lol.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:17 PM

If you take the Cobalt or G5 and really put sound deadening and vibration control products into it, it really becomes a very quiet car. I put secondskin damplifier and luxury liner pro in the car, it is very quiet inside the car now. Only squeak I have is the center console cover if I lean over and put weight on it but just my arm resting on it is fine. Doors close with a very solid feel and even with the stereo cranked you cant hear any vibrations except the door handles on the outside. Even my sales guy was quite amazed by it. I have client that has a lexus ES300 and my when cruising my Cobalt SS is as quiet as hers. Now I didnt say it rides as smooth but I dont expect it to.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:18 PM

All makes for a good point and I agree our SS models are barely Cobalts, at least for what the EXEC himself referred to a cobalt in his commentary. No I think had he drove a new SS/TC that comment would never have been made, but completely understand it with the base model. I'm sorry some didn't like my evolutionary commentary about GM in my experiences, but I just wanted to show that despite the cobalt, there are bigger fish to fry. GM as I said is probably 5-10 years from being a world class auto maker IF they stay on the straight and narrow path they claim to be on now. If you asked me GMs core problem is their service and customer support. My neighbor has a problem with his Nissan his dealer comes to get it from his work and brings it back when they are done with it. Is that standard practice, no probably not but you get what I'm saying.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:39 PM

All makes for a good point and I agree our SS models are barely Cobalts, at least for what the EXEC himself referred to a cobalt in his commentary. No I think had he drove a new SS/TC that comment would never have been made, but completely understand it with the base model. I'm sorry some didn't like my evolutionary commentary about GM in my experiences, but I just wanted to show that despite the cobalt, there are bigger fish to fry. GM as I said is probably 5-10 years from being a world class auto maker IF they stay on the straight and narrow path they claim to be on now. If you asked me GMs core problem is their service and customer support. My neighbor has a problem with his Nissan his dealer comes to get it from his work and brings it back when they are done with it. Is that standard practice, no probably not but you get what I'm saying.
GM Dealers are supposed to provide courtesy transportation when you drop your car off, but they definately don't pick your car up.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:40 PM

GM doesn't own or run the dealerships. I doubt Nissan does either. Some GM dealers will do that and there are Nissan ones that wont.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by riko540
lol its true but its the look and price that people go for I think. Thats what sold me anyways lol. I love the look of the car and of course I think they could have done a better job with the interior so it doesn't look so......well cheap lol.
When I bought my 07 SC I was looking for a great performing car for an equally great price that looked good.

And I got it.

I didn't care about the interior that much. And as delivered, my car wasn't short on stuff either:
  • 230w sound system with sub-woofer
  • Power sunroof
  • Satellite Radio
  • Pillar mounted Boost Gauge
  • Heated leather seats
  • Polished Wheels

All for $22,700.

Figure in the $2500 rebate, and my car only cost $20,200.

Add in the GM Stage 2 kit, and I now have a 241hp/2950lb car that averages 23mpg and should turn low low 14's.

All with a factory warranty and costing me just $21,200.

Last edited by firemanfrank; 05-16-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:24 PM

My dealer offered me a rental car when they were doing the recall on my fuel pump. I thought that was pretty nice for a 3 hour job
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM

The Chevy dealer by me will pick up an deliver your car if you want them too. That is just set by the dealer not GM. GM just needs to Focus on a quality product not a average auto. They have some of the best looking vehicles just NEED to make the Quality built for the long haul. Thats what people really want. Example (personally I think Toyota has they ugliest vehicle out there but they sell them because people thought they were reliable.)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 395 plus
The Chevy dealer by me will pick up an deliver your car if you want them too. That is just set by the dealer not GM. GM just needs to Focus on a quality product not a average auto. They have some of the best looking vehicles just NEED to make the Quality built for the long haul. Thats what people really want. Example (personally I think Toyota has they ugliest vehicle out there but they sell them because people thought they were reliable.)
I was thinking about a toyota since my foot is getting sore from holding the throttle at WOT on my own all the time
Old 05-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
I was thinking about a toyota since my foot is getting sore from holding the throttle at WOT on my own all the time
now there's an idea
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
"We have never really built good small cars," Reuss said. "But we are now."
Wow...

If there is one thing you can count on GM executives of doing, it's putting their feet in their mouths.

lets look at the last couple Chevrolet & Pontiac (GM's two best selling makes) compacts:
  • 1988-1994 J-body; Chevrolet Cavalier / Pontiac Sunbird: Stellar sellers for their time, and still have a good following; I don't think I have read a period review that suggested this car was anything other than a great offering in the compact market
  • 1985-1991 N-body; Pontiac Grand Am: again stellar reviews; the best selling car for it's class for nearly every one of these model years (these cars are nearly the exact same size as the previously mentioned J-body's; the N-body increased in size after 1991 so I'm leaving them out)
  • 1987-1996 L-body; Chevrolet Beretta: acclaimed for sporty styling for what was essentially a modified N-body platform; continual great seller for Chevrolet
  • 1995-2005 J-body; Chevrolet Cavalier / Pontiac Sunfire; Ok, I remember when these cars first came out, and I didn't read a single scoffing review, only high words of praise; if you drive anywhere the sheer numbers of these still around should attest to how much people liked them.
  • 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt / Pontiac Pursuit & G5; Ok, as is the case when any car is being phased out, the media latches onto the new car and give high praise for all the improvements over the car it's replacing - the Cobalt fits this to a 'T' (FYI: read between the lines, this is exactly what's happening with the cruize). The Cobalt only received accolades when it was first released.

I wish GM execs wouldn't talk crap like this - don't they realize that it only hurts their own cars depreciate faster??
~ One of the critics biggest issues with domestics is their depreciation; all the imports competing against GM cite their ability to retain value.

... it's not the car we love it's the engine the car has. Would we still love the car if it came with a previous generation HONDA motor like the quad 4 my Beretta had...no. (I am well aware it came from Isuzu..whom at the time Honda owned.) Why? Because at that point it would be too difficult to even SUGGEST the car redeemed itself. ...
wow, I don't know if you could possibly be more wrong.

The Quad4 was a ground up in house Oldsmobile design;
and early on in the design process the Oldsmobile engineers had lots of discussions with some high strung european engine manufacturers.

The Quad4 got a bad rap for two things;
1) the original OE head gasket design (supplied by Victor Reinz iirc) was proned to failure.
2) engine noise/harshness continually cited by critics to the point that it was all they could talk about.

The Quad4 was detuned (changed to 2.4L "Twin Cam") to the point that the Ecotec that ended up replacing it was almost an unnoticable change.

If you doubt me on any point's please feel free to check anything I've said against info posted on the Quad4forums;
you never know between the Quad4forums or beretta.net you just might be able to find another GTZ.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:03 AM

Oh but the base cobalt, I got one for a rental, by far the worst small car I've ever had the displeasure to drive. It was also the ONLY small car that felt like driving a big car. There was nothing repsonsive about it, and it felt like you had to telegraph your intentions to the transmission to get it into passing gear. It had 43 miles on it, and yes it rattled worse than my 20K mile SS/TC...jesus and people pay 17 grand for this thing. The seats had you sitting bolt upright (it was a sedan) and had been overstuffed. I am a pretty big guy for my height and I just felt "pressured" every time I sat in it. Absolutely the worst car I have ever driven and I've got Uparmored HMMWVs on the list of things I have drive. It literally felt like I was driving a glass car and that if I did the wrong thing it would break, nothing gave me a sense of security or confidence to drive it with a measure of comfort.[/QUOTE]

you could not have discribed it better! but I still love my Cobalt/G5
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
hmm,
I rented a cobalt (base sedan) last November when I needed something to get around LA with - I didn't think it was bad - it definitely gave me a heads up on the differences between driving it and the older cars I have driven...
Old 05-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Meh... it sounds typical.
GM is bashing their previous generation cars in order to make the new Cruze look that much better.
It's probably part of their 'new image' campaign.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:24 AM

If your gonna bitch about how terrible a product YOU made while many people are still making payments on them you need to step up and offer them something. Some money back, some kinda double your trade in value or something. Just to basically say " Wow, we really screwed the suckers who purchased this crap" is really shitty!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ls1fbody
Probably a base model.

HAve you ever driven one? They really do suck haahha
uhh every cobalt lacks. just because the seats were upgraded doesnt mean it has a great interior
Old 05-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Not everyone is grossly overpaid like these douchey execs! We can't all afford $100K luxury sedans. If I drove a Merc or Beemer every day and then got in a Cobalt, I would likely call it garbage too! lol. It's all relative to what you can afford. The Cobalt (especially the SS/SC's and TC's) are great "Bang for your buck" cars.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:54 PM

The GM execs are trying to distance themselves from the pre bankruptcy GM. Kinda like how all the republicans were jumping ship from the Bush bandwagon torward the end of his tenure in a vain attempt to avoid getting voted out. Just a common business/political tactic to try and distance themselves from their previous screwups.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:04 PM

Hmm I did make a mistake in the citation of the quad 4 (an excellent engine after a head gasket change. mine didn't survive and required a head from an Achieva (which later discovered was the W41 head) not to mention after the block and head were decked it did bump the compression a wee bit. Anyways, to clarify what I was referring to, the ENGINE was MANUFACTURED by ISUZU from 89-93, hell my block said so right on it. Probably GM not having the capacity or tooling to manufacture in house? Not to say they didn't assemble or design it, I'm referring to the block. Anyways, your right, I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: GM Exec Calls Chevy Cobalt "Horrible"