General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

GM is now looking for Aftermarket Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:31 AM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM is now looking for Aftermarket Tunes

More current TSRB:

Originally Posted by Jackalope
I copied this from the G8 forum and its ONLY FOR V8 CARS AND TRUCKS but don't worry GM has a bulletin out for ALL gas engines too, I just didn't have access to it. GM is now checking your tune VS the stock factory tuning by the process outlined below and if a non-stock tune is found you just had your warrenty voided. CONGRATS! They're also gettin sneaky and counting how many times a car has been flashed as its stored in its memory FOREVER and if they see any signs of it being done anymore then the dealer themselves did it, again voided warrenty! Basicly if you're tuned and you blow your engine or trans or any drive line parts YOU'RE SCREWED!!

Here's the actual TSRB. So be warned all ye tuners GM is coming for you, to put you out of business!! You WILL be caught and you WILL have your warrenty voided!! PERIOD!!
Hey they gotta save every penny they can so Mr. Obama doesn't close them up all together!

BTW if anyone here could get a copy of corporate bulletin 08-06-04-033D as listed in this TSRB heading as it applies to "ALL OTHER GAS ENGINES I'd be willing to bet it says the exact same thing for ALL GM cars and trucks. Meaning YOU GUYS TOO!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#09-06-04-026: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines - (May 18, 2009)

Subject: Identifying Non-GM (Aftermarket) Engine and Transmission Calibrations for V8 Gas Engines

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Excluding Saab 9-7X)

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Equipped with V8 Gas Powered Engines Only

Attention: This bulletin applies to V8 gas powered engines ONLY. For all other gas powered engine applications, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-033D. For diesel powered engines, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-006C.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Motors is identifying an increasing number of engine, transmission and catalytic converter part failures that are the result of non-GM (aftermarket) engine and transmission control calibrations being used.

When alteration to the GM-released engine or transmission control calibrations occurs, it subjects powertrain and driveline components (engine , transmission, transfer case, driveshaft and rear axle) to stresses that were not tested by General Motors. It is because of these unknown stresses, and the potential to alter reliability, durability and emissions performance, that GM has adopted a policy to cancel any remaining warranty coverage to the powertrain and driveline components whenever the presence of a non-GM (aftermarket) calibration is confirmed - even if the non-GM control module calibration is subsequently removed.

Warranty coverage is based on the equipment and calibrations that were released on the vehicle at time of sale, or subsequently updated by GM. That’s because GM testing and validation matches the calibration to a host of criteria that is essential to assure reliability, durability and emissions performance over the life of the warranty coverage and beyond. Stresses resulting from calibrations different than those tested and released by GM can damage or weaken components, leading to poor performance and or shortened life.

Additionally, non-GM (aftermarket) issued engine control modifications often do not meet the same emissions performance standards as GM issued calibrations. Depending on state statutes, individuals who install engine control module calibrations that put the vehicle outside the parameters of emissions certification standards may be subject to fines and/or penalties.

This bulletin outlines a procedure to identify the presence of non-GM (aftermarket) calibrations. GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

In May 2009, the PQC will begin piloting a process to confirm the ECM/PCM calibration is GM issued. Beginning on May 18, 2009, the PQC will require a picture of the engine calibration verification screen, as outlined in this bulletin, before authorizing any V8 gas powered engine replacement.

If a non-GM calibration is found and verification has taken place through GM, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS and the dealership will be notified.

•Plug in the Tech 2®.
•Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle.
•Select "Powertrain".
•Select "Engine".
•*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM".
•*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
•*If "I/M information System" was selected, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.

•Take a CLEAR digital picture of the Tech 2® screen showing the engine calibration verification information as shown above.
•E-mail the snapshot picture to ****. In the subject line of the email include the phrase "V8 Cal" as well as the complete VIN and Dealer BAC. In the body of the e-mail, inlcude the VIN, mileage, R.O. number and BAC.
•Allow two hours for the PQC to verify the calibrations and set up the case details.
•You may call the PQC two hours after submitting the e-mail for authorization to replace the assembly. This will provide them time to receive, review and set up a case on the request. Please be prepared to provide all the usual documentation that is normally required when requesting an assembly authorization from the PQC.
If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC (1-800-222-2222 English or 1-800-222-2222 French) to obtain the CVN information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#08-06-04-033: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L 6.2L 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas - (May 30, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Excluding Pontiac Vibe, G8, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

Go to TIS2WEB
Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
Enter VIN
Select "Get Cal ID"
Select "ECM Engine Control Module"
Select "Next"
Select "Complete History"
Print
Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
Plug in the Tech 2®
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
Select "Powertrain"
Select "Engine"
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM"
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.
* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to and for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved

Last edited by REIGN SS; 05-25-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 AM

oh snap
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 AM

thats why you have your tuner re-flash your ecm to stock
Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 AM
Banned

so basically make sure u reflash to stock before hitting up the stealership
Old 06-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Banned

******* Apparently they don't know how simple it is to revert back.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 AM

I'll just plug my stock ECU back in and throw the stock pulley on!!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rukkee

#08-06-04-033: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L 6.2L 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas - (May 30, 2008)

Subject: Identifying Aftermarket Engine Calibrations 2.0L, 2.2L, 2.4L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 3.0L, 3.1L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.5L, 3.6L, 3.8L, 3.9L, 4.2L, 4.3L, 4.4L, 4.6L, 4.8L, 5.0L, 5.3L, 5.7L, 6.0L, 6.2L, 7.0L, 7.4L, 8.1L Gas Powered Engines Only

Models: 2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3

Excluding Pontiac Vibe, G8, Chevrolet Aveo, All Saturn and Saab Models

Important: This bulletin applies to Gas Powered Engines ONLY. For Diesel Powered Engines, refer to Service Bulletin #08-06-04-006A.

If a suspicious hard part failure is observed in the engine, transmission, transfer case or driveline, perform the calibration verification described to determine if a non-GM issued engine calibration is installed. Non-GM issued engine calibrations subject driveline components to stresses different than the calibrations which these components were validated to. Repairs to transmission, transfer case and/or other driveline components where a non-GM engine calibration has been verified are not covered under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

Instructions for Confirming Calibration Verification Number (CVN):

Go to TIS2WEB
Select "Calibration Information (SPS Info)"
Enter VIN
Select "Get Cal ID"
Select "ECM Engine Control Module"
Select "Next"
Select "Complete History"
Print
Take the printout to the vehicle along with the Tech 2®
Plug in the Tech 2®
Go to diagnostics and build the vehicle
Select "Powertrain"
Select "Engine"
*Select "Engine Control Module" or "PCM"
*Select "Module ID Information" or "I/M Information System" if module ID information selection is not available.
*If "I/M information System" was selected in step 15, it may be necessary to select "Vehicle Information" in order to display the calibration information.
Compare the calibration ID and Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) to the Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN) on the printout.
* Steps may vary by controller.

Although the part numbers will be the same for each, it's the CVN that will determine if the calibration is GM issued. If ALL of the CVN's are EXACTLY the same, the calibration is GM issued.

If the part numbers match and ANY CVN's DO NOT match the printout, it is likely that a non-GM certified calibration has been installed.

If the CVN information is displayed as "N/A", it will be necessary to contact the TCSC to obtain the CVN information.

If a non-GM calibration is found to be in the ECM (CVN's on the Tech 2 do not match TIS printout) - In order to document the case -- a CLEAR digital picture should be taken of the Tech 2® screen showing the VIN and the CVN's that do not match the TIS2WEB printout. The picture, VIN and reason the vehicle is currently in for service should be emailed to JAY.DANKOVICH@GM.COM and STEVEN.R.BRIDSON@GM.COM for verification. Please copy your GM District Service Manager (DVM) on the e-mail. GM will verify if the CVN's are not GM issued and respond via e-mail within 72 hours.

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved
old news. it started with the diesel powered trucks and is trickling down through the smaller vehicles.
and of course the likely cause of a GM part failure would have to be the aftermarket tune. (unless it has been tuned by a complete moron who was high on heroin, which is what the stock stage tunes look like)
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM
Premium Member

Yep , its not a big deal to flash them back , but i was reading a GM doc that said they can see the last 10 flashes in the programing history .

I wish i could find that document number so i could post it but ive searched for over an hour and cant come up with it . O'well you got to pay to play i guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM

yeah, but realistically how many techs are gonna spend the time to do this? I don't think it's a huge issue with our cars
Old 06-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Bika
old news. it started with the diesel powered trucks and is trickling down through the smaller vehicles.
and of course the likely cause of a GM part failure would have to be the aftermarket tune. (unless it has been tuned by a complete moron who was high on heroin, which is what the stock stage tunes look like)
I saw the diesel tsb awhile ago but figured since the one above was posted on may 30th i would post it . I guess i'll just stop wasting my time posting these if they are old news to people .
Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 AM

they found my tune on my balt about 1.5 mo ago when i had it in for a tranny replacement due to a blown differntial...they just reflashed it back to stock...guess im a lucky mfer lol
Old 06-01-2008, 01:11 AM

GM INSTALLED STAGE 2 HERE

So I don't have to "uninstall", "reinstall", "unflash", or "reflash" anything.

Also, no one here has taken into account the possibility of their car breaking down and having to be towed to the dealer, or a minor accident which could require the same.

In such cases, you wouldn't have time to change back anything.

And if they spot CAI's, Hi Perf Exhausts, etc., that might give them reason to suspect other modifications have been done and they might check your PCM anyway.

If they do ... then you've lost your entire warranty altogether.

And for what? To save a few bucks here and there with a non GM Stage install?

Having done so, a person could actually chance losing $$thousands$$ in free warranty work that they otherwise would have had coming to them (and for which they had paid for in the purchase price of their car).

Not smart.

Not smart at all ...
Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by firemanfrank

Also, no one here has taken into account the possibility of their car breaking down and having to be towed to the dealer, or a minor accident which could require the same.

And if they spot CAI's, Hi Perf Exhausts, etc., that might give them reason to suspect other modifications have been done and they might check your PCM anyway.

Having done so, a person could actually chance losing $$thousands$$ in free warranty work that they otherwise would have had coming to them (and for which they had paid for in the purchase price of their car).

Not smart.

Not smart at all ...
I agree , thats one of the major reasons i havent been tuned . Even the 05 and 06's have a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty so the HP you gain in tuning could be very expensive in the long run.

I'm not saying it's dumb to be tuned thou , if you want your car to run to it's fullest and can pay to play if something goes wrong then go for it . The only thing i hate seeing is people shitting on GM because they blew up their **** up with a bad tune or pullley setup and want GM to foot the bill.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^ thats why i'm waiting for another 13k miles miles before i do anything besides stage2 and visuals
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Fail Less.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stage 2 is FTL. the maps and tables look like they were tuned by a monkey on acid.

my car ran like **** with stage 2. worst thing i ever bought for that car.
buying hptuners and learning some of the tuning basics was probly the best thing i did.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by firemanfrank

Not smart.

Not smart at all ...
Youre the guy who works for and condones the stealership arent you? Way to take the wrong side, corporate america makes enough money without ******** like you. If you are smart you reflash the PCM in the event of an accident, you tell the stealership not to touch your ****** car until you get your laptop hooked up because you want to (insert random story here). Lets not forget, the stealership has to prove your car effed up because of the modification (Warn Act) so if your car breaks down, you obviously have it towed to your house first for a reflash and then to the stealership. Cmon dude, **** like that NEVER happens where you have aboslutely no rights to your car before the stealership can get their hands on it. And for those of you who think Im jumping on this guy's ***** for no reason, take a look at some of his other posts.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bika
stage 2 is FTL. the maps and tables look like they were tuned by a monkey on acid.

my car ran like **** with stage 2. worst thing i ever bought for that car.
buying hptuners and learning some of the tuning basics was probly the best thing i did.
seriously...every guy around here is getting tuned by vince at trifecta tunig cause ALL the stock tuens make the car run like shizznit...

stock tune FTL
Old 06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You should take the corporate GM emails out of there so they don't get bombarded with hate mail.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM

gm warranty is garbage anyway. they find any excuse to void your **** even if your not modded.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NWAE Cobalt
seriously...every guy around here is getting tuned by vince at trifecta tunig cause ALL the stock tuens make the car run like shizznit...

stock tune FTL
Yeah stock tunes are crap, and the 07s stutter and stall with stage 2 on some cars. They can take their 100,000 mile warranty and shove it. It just makes them scrutinize the cars more because they need to keep costs down.

The 3yr/36000 was a better warranty because they were happy to fix stuff, now they just penny pinch and point fingers. On my GTO they would not fix the issues I had with my cruise control blowing my fuse when the A/C was on, and they told me it was because I took off my catalytic converters....................

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
gm warranty is garbage anyway. they find any excuse to void your **** even if your not modded.
Like the "Have you ever floored the car?" question. They consider passing another car racing because the engines weren't meant to be floored.......but they havea PERFORMANCE DIVISION plaque on the car.

Last edited by Psykostevo; 06-02-2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
You should take the corporate GM emails out of there so they don't get bombarded with hate mail.
THANK YOU! I didn't realize i forgot to edit those . Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Psykostevo
Yeah stock tunes are crap, and the 07s stutter and stall with stage 2 on some cars. They can take their 100,000 mile warranty and shove it. It just makes them scrutinize the cars more because they need to keep costs down.

The 3yr/36000 was a better warranty because they were happy to fix stuff, now they just penny pinch and point fingers. On my GTO they would not fix the issues I had with my cruise control blowing my fuse when the A/C was on, and they told me it was because I took off my catalytic converters....................

Like the "Have you ever floored the car?" question. They consider passing another car racing because the engines weren't meant to be floored.......but they havea PERFORMANCE DIVISION plaque on the car.
ya...i have had soooo much replaced on warranty...even a new tranny
Old 06-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by lewisb13
Youre the guy who works for and condones the stealership arent you? Way to take the wrong side, corporate america makes enough money without ******** like you. If you are smart you reflash the PCM in the event of an accident, you tell the stealership not to touch your ****** car until you get your laptop hooked up because you want to (insert random story here). Lets not forget, the stealership has to prove your car effed up because of the modification (Warn Act) so if your car breaks down, you obviously have it towed to your house first for a reflash and then to the stealership. Cmon dude, **** like that NEVER happens where you have aboslutely no rights to your car before the stealership can get their hands on it. And for those of you who think Im jumping on this guy's ***** for no reason, take a look at some of his other posts.
Dude calm the **** down. He has a point.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:09 PM

Guys it is all about the dealer... I have an SLP shorty header, ZZP dp w/cat and a Magnaflow exhaust. The dealer tightened up a loose header bolt for me and replaced my o2 sensor that was bad... They have made a friend and I will give them ALL of my future business for being so cool... The dealers I bought my Cobalt and my '07 Tahoe LTZ from stuck it to me good and couldn't get me back to their showrooms if they offered me a buy one get one free deal as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:16 PM

I work for GM and dont have any worries of warrenty issues. However if they did ever give me **** about my mods ohhh well. I knew damn well that moding the car can void the warrenty.

Quick Reply: GM is now looking for Aftermarket Tunes