General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Going, Going, Gone... Fly Delta

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going, Going, Gone... Fly Delta

Found on LeftLaneNews.com

http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-to-la...m-by-2009.html

GM to launch new global platform by 2009
November26

General Motors will soon launch an all-new platform to replace the current Delta architecture — which underpins the Opel/Vauxhall Astra, Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR and Pontiac G5 — a new report finds. The new architecture will underpin several new vehicles, including low-cost cars in South America and medium-sized cars for Opel in Europe.

The new compact, front-drive platform could carry as many as five different body styles, with the first examples bowing as early as 2009 in Europe and the U.S. GM is expecting to have all planned models in production by 2012, with annual sales totaling 1.2 million units.

The new architecture — which is being developed in Germany — will generate sedans, hatchbacks and minivans, including a Daewoo-badged model for Korea and a Chevrolet for Europe. Saab is also reportedly in the running for a new model based on the platform and the production Chevrolet Volt will also ride on the new architecture.

“We are doing a new platform that has a huge bandwidth,” Peter Mertens, vehicle line executive for the architecture, told Automotive News. “We’ll have different approaches in different regions.”

Mertens also revealed that vehicles riding on the new platform will share sheet metal — to simplify production — but will wear unique fascias and grilles to match individual brands. “If you drive them next to each other, you will certainly see there is a difference in chassis performance between an Opel and a Chevy or between a Buick and a Chevy,” he said. “Each is engineered to compete against very specific competitors.”

Powertrains will continue to be tailored to specific regions.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
great, more cars on the road that are going to look the same this is not the way for GM to do things, sharing a platform is one thing, but sheet metal too. This takes the cavi/sunfire/cobalt/g5 cloning to a whole new level. AND IT SUCKS!!
Old 11-27-2007, 09:59 AM

They're replacing the Cobalt with the flippin VOLT? WTF? WRONG way to go. If anything they need to be getting into the AWD market a little more.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:00 AM

wow.... that's crappy. I just don't get why any company would do that. I was pissed when they did it with the g5 and such, I like the cars, but they're a pontiac cobalt. lol I understand what they're trying to do, and why theyre trying to do it, it's just that I also understand they're wrong, and the problem is they dont! Where is the creativity? you know? If they're going to do this they should offer factory body kits you can buy, so at least you can select to have a car that looks somewhat different, you know?
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Banned

one word............. lame
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by alleycat58
They're replacing the Cobalt with the flippin VOLT? WTF? WRONG way to go. If anything they need to be getting into the AWD market a little more.
No, there will be a coblat or a car similar, but the Volt will ride on this platform. Like the HHR does now with the Cobalt.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:07 AM

hmmm, they need to mass produce the Ariel Atom...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 AM

but I think what he was saying is that the lame ass volt should share nothing with the cobalt. The cobalt is right on the cusp of being in the same market as the evo and the sti. With a little tuning, some AWD and that turbo chevy is only now realizing is a good idea, the cobalt has a real shot at being a major player in that market, but no, they're sharing parts with a daewoo, a mini van, and a tree hugger carrier. yay.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
hmmm, they need to mass produce the Ariel Atom...
No just the motor... oh wait...
Old 11-27-2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by RuSSo-29
No, there will be a coblat or a car similar, but the Volt will ride on this platform. Like the HHR does now with the Cobalt.
That "platform" is a mini-car. From what they sounded like at one point, there will be TWO platforms. One for the mini-car Volt and one for a small to midsize car. Which makes sense. Replacing a formidable compact car with a mini car is assinine. They need to go forward not back.

Originally Posted by Co|3aLt $$
but I think what he was saying is that the lame ass volt should share nothing with the cobalt. The cobalt is right on the cusp of being in the same market as the evo and the sti. With a little tuning, some AWD and that turbo chevy is only now realizing is a good idea, the cobalt has a real shot at being a major player in that market, but no, they're sharing parts with a daewoo, a mini van, and a tree hugger carrier. yay.
She. But yeah, you got EXACTLY what I was trying to say. Chevy is right on the cusp of getting in the tuner market in a big way with the Cobalt. Why throw that away? You're looking at one of the younger audiences with a lot of disposable income to throw into factory support (look at the SRT and the Mopar Stage kits). Even Hyundai is jumping in feet-first with the new RWD sport-compact Genesis concept. Hyundai. I'll say it again for emphasis - Hyundai - the company that 20 years ago was known as little more in the automotive world than the people who make rust on wheels.

The Sky/Solstice is kind of a niche car, it's never going to be a huge mover and shaker. But look at the support it got. I know auto-xers who dropped their beloved Miatas in DROVES for a Chevy. They CAN put out a car that can perform, hold it's own, and win over some of the import crowd. It's just whether or not they're going to allow themselves to grow the ***** to do it.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedBaseBolt
No just the motor... oh wait...
Rofl
Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 PM

haha, She, sorry bout that! and I agree 100% with HER.