General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Has anyone successfully placed an order for the G85 Perf Package (In Canada)

Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone successfully placed an order for the G85 Perf Package (In Canada)

I am wondering if anyone has succesfully placed an order for the G85 Perf Package with the LSD and Recaro seats. My dealer doesn't see it as an option yet?? Argg... i'm waiting patiently for this so I can place my order.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Calgden
I am wondering if anyone has succesfully placed an order for the G85 Perf Package with the LSD and Recaro seats. My deal doesn't see it yet as an option?? Argg... i'm waiting patiently for this so I can order.
I'm still trying to determine if its going to be available in Canada this year. I phoned GM, and they told me its the "Recaro performance package" code W2E, and that it was available, but the dealers wouldn't see it in their systems, because its so new. Gave that info to my dealer, he phoned Oshawa, and they told him it WOULDN'T be available in Canada for the '05 model year. So, I'm still trying to figure this out. I guess I should call GM again today, and see if they have any more info.

My understanding is your dealer should be able to order it, even though it doesn't show up in the system. Give him the code, and ask him to try it I guess..

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by PygmySurfer
I'm still trying to determine if its going to be available in Canada this year. I phoned GM, and they told me its the "Recaro performance package" code W2E, and that it was available, but the dealers wouldn't see it in their systems, because its so new. Gave that info to my dealer, he phoned Oshawa, and they told him it WOULDN'T be available in Canada for the '05 model year. So, I'm still trying to figure this out. I guess I should call GM again today, and see if they have any more info.

My understanding is your dealer should be able to order it, even though it doesn't show up in the system. Give him the code, and ask him to try it I guess..

Good luck!
Hmmm... if that's the case, i'm a bit sad and a bit mad . I don't understand why there seems to be different options/stats for the SS S/C for Canada (XM radio being the exception) considering we don't have a plant in Canada making them!!

If that's the case, do you think that one can be purchased across the border and then brought back here. I believe I read somewhere that the standard warranty covers you anywhere in North America??

I hope I can figure out quickly, what is going on, because I am getting tired of waiting. I can tell that is the case with everyone as I have noticed that people are getting a bit testy in a number of the Threads.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Calgden
Hmmm... if that's the case, i'm a bit sad and a bit mad . I don't understand why there seems to be different options/stats for the SS S/C for Canada (XM radio being the exception) considering we don't have a plant in Canada making them!!

If that's the case, do you think that one can be purchased across the border and then brought back here. I believe I read somewhere that the standard warranty covers you anywhere in North America??

I hope I can figure out quickly, what is going on, because I am getting tired of waiting. I can tell that is the case with everyone as I have noticed that people are getting a bit testy in a number of the Threads.
Yeah, I cant' figure out why they'd say its not available in Canada, it's going down the same assembly line.

You can import a car, but it'll cost you a fortune. You have to pay provincial tax, GST, and I think an import fee. Surprisingly, it seems like the car is the same price, once you convert from USD to CAD ($21,995 US = $27,294.53 CAD). I guess they must really mark up the SRT-4 in Canada, considering it costs more than a Cobalt SS, whereas in the US its actually cheaper.

This page shows some of the things you'd need to do. Some of the info is specific to BC, but most of it should apply wherever you are. Sounds like it'll cost you $182 for paperwork, $100 for excise tax, 6.1% Duty, 7% GST, and probably PST for whatever province you're in. So if you're in Ontario, that's 21.1%, plus $282. Pretty pricey Also note the car would have to be inspected, and may require work (Daytime running lights are one thing that sticks out that may not be on a US vehicle). Of course, all this info is for USED cars, a new car might be a different story. I really doubt our wonderful government would let you get away without paying taxes or duty though