General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Cobalt Commercials...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobalt Commercials...

Autoline Detroit had a disccusion today on the advertising that automakers are doing these days, and how effective they are. So I am kinda curious myself.

There's 2 main commercials I know of for the Cobalt. There's the one if it taunting the Corvette, and the one with the Cobalts hitting the ***** around. What did you think of those 2 spots? Did they make you interested in the car?

Edit, here's some links to some of the commericals that others have posted on this site:

Cobalt Music Duel

Ball Commerical

Canadian Cobalt Commerical
Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM

I liked the commercials where it messes with the Vette with the kickball, at the stop light, and where the Cobalt is pulled over by the cops. It sort of gives it a more sports car authenticity to it that they paired it with a legend of sports cars. And plus when the Corvette spins around at the light is just awesome !
Old 03-01-2005, 11:45 AM

I'll agree with that.

The general idea is that the Cobalt are both "fun" and "capable" at the same time.

Chevrolet has recently tried changing its image to hit a younger target audience. For years and years and years if you wanted a GM truck you bought a Chevy. Pontiac was aimed at the younger "speedy" market of car buyers.

All that has changed, with CAFE laws and Toyota taking over Ford's second place rankings in the overall market. Chevrolet has had to reach out to a wider audience (thus the 10 new vehicles in 20 months, everything but the SSR and Corvette start under 20 grand).

I think the overall appeal is that with the Colorado, Cobalt and Aveo, Chevrolet has targeted a much younger and "hipper" audience than they have in years past.

The cool thing is that the advertisements are just there to tell you that the car exists, can you imagine how much fun the actual Supercharged Cobalt will be?!?

Villain
Old 03-01-2005, 11:48 AM

yeah for sure they are targeting the younger autience. I thought the ball commercial wasn't the best myself, but the one with it bumping the Corvette made the car stick in my head. The ball commerical just reminds me of the stupid Scion commericals.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:52 AM

There was also the one where the cobalt and the Corvette were in the garage and the cobalt kept rolling down its windows and playing loud , finally the corvette got upset and its lights came on the cobalt turned off the music and rolled the windows up. I actually really like the commercials. When I first saw the concept of the cobalt I thought it was a little to cheap for me. But the commercials made the car seem interesting.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:54 AM

I haven't seen that one yet.

I agree, I just thought it was another Cav, but they stepped up the car a notch. I had a '89 Z24 with the 2.8 V6 that I loved, and this car is even more fun then that car was.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by rm25x
I just thought it was another Cav

Funny you should say that, because a friend of mine asked me on Sunday if my new Cobalt was a Cavalier.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by xtremeGM
There was also the one where the cobalt and the Corvette were in the garage and the cobalt kept rolling down its windows and playing loud , finally the corvette got upset and its lights came on the cobalt turned off the music and rolled the windows up. I actually really like the commercials. When I first saw the concept of the cobalt I thought it was a little to cheap for me. But the commercials made the car seem interesting.
I LOVE THIS ONE... IT IS THE FIRST ONE OUT I THINK... WELL IT'S THE FIRST ONE I SAW... GOT MY ATTENSION RIGHT AWAY!... I WISH I CAN FIND THAT ONE AGAIN! or see it!