General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Hi All!! New here..couple Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All!! New here..couple Q's

Hi All!!!!

I'm new here. I've been lurking for a couple weeks and reading all I can. I picked up my Victory Red SS/SC on Aug. 30th. Ebony interior, Sunroof, XM, Side Airbags. I didn't even know about the G85 until I started reading here Oh well, I'm sure the aftermarket will come up with a retrofit........ I've put 1800 miles on it already and so far only cosmetic problems( crooked inner tail light, missing push clip, missing GM badge) The dealer is getting me a lower grille Free of Charge......BONUS. I'm 33 and this is my first BRAND NEW car. I'm a gearhead from way back. My last project was a 3.4 liter DOHC Fiero with all the goodies. Before that was a '94 Z28 with just about every power adding bolt on short of a supercharger...... and the suspension was polybushed, sprung, shocks panhard, strut tower subframes..etc, etc......High 12s with traction
Anyway..........

I've ordered the Ingalls "Stiffy"(be here Monday) and I'm ordering the AEM intake, GMPP Performance Exhaust with angled tip and the Stage 2 kit early next week.. It seems Pace Performance has the best price including shipping. My local dealer wants $1050 for the Stage 2 installed so I'm ordering it myself and paying the 3 hours labor to have it installed........the rest I'll do myself.

My Question............
What's Next????? OBD II OR III.......whatever it is now, is more complicated than anything I've modified before so I'm not sure where to go from there. I'll probobly run a couple Solo 2 events and take it to the strip for a timeslip. I'm just looking for more power.....Aren't we all. I'll leave the suspension stock until the warranty expires. My Camaro was so low and stiff it became unstreetable, I'm not going there again. The car will only be driven in the nicer months as I've got my truck for the winter.
Thanks in Advance and I'm happy to be here,

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:17 PM

Huh!?? I'm a member of the forum but I guess I'm not "part of the club"???

Did I post this in the wrong area????

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:24 PM

what's up man, happy modding
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome dude. Safe driving!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:26 PM

1050 is kinda high for Stage 2
Old 09-16-2006, 05:28 PM

Welcome to the boards! You should go aftermarket instead of the gm kits bc of more power. try an INTENSE 2.5" or 2.6" pulley w/ 60lb injectors and buy HPTuners to custom tune the car and she'll fly. Or you can just buy Stage 5 from INTENSE-RACING.com. It's like 1000 dollars if you want a ported blower. you should be an easy 12 sec car with that setup.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Welcome and congrats on your new car!! I know the feeling of getting a new car! I'm 33 I've had 7 brand new cars now and this one by far is the most exciting. Had it 16 months now and I'm still excited about it!! Its just plain fun...I can't say more!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:34 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, that's more like it!!! Thanks Guys!!!

Am I correct in assuming that installing the smaller GM pulley(smaller than one included with kit) with the stage 2 tune won't require another tune? Is there more to be had by doing an HP Tune?<< What is HP Tune? Is it something I can use through my laptop? Anyone in my area have it and know what they're doing?
I've been out of the car loop for a while so forgive my ignorance The last time I modded a computer is was the Z28 and that was a Hypertech Power Programmer+....plug it in, toggle through the differnt menus to select within given variables then let it do it's thing....nothing that allowed pulse width or ignition timing @ certain RPM. Thanks!!

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:37 PM

yeah you can run the 2.8 on a GM tune, HP Tuners over my head just search it and that's about that, You can change all kinds of stuff with it on your car,
Old 09-16-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome! First you probably need to "try" and decide how far you want to go with the car, or atleast get a general idea of a goal. I know, I know, it always changes, and it gets addicting. I wouldn't waste any money on the GM stuff personally. Do some searching and reading on these boards to find out what has worked for other members. Congrats on your purchase!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by barryBlueSS
Welcome and congrats on your new car!! I know the feeling of getting a new car! I'm 33 I've had 7 brand new cars now and this one by far is the most exciting. Had it 16 months now and I'm still excited about it!! Its just plain fun...I can't say more!!
I've always been more of a buy it cheap and fix it up kinda person. I haven't had a car payment in 8 years. Bought my wifes Avenger('98ES) for $2400 cash and we've put over that into it.......but that's new wheels + tires, all maintainance current, body kit and got all the gadgets working(power windows, built in garage door opener, keyless entry, etc) As well as rebuilding the suspension. It's good to go.

I LOOOVEESS to turn me some wrenches!!!

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bad06SS
Welcome! First you probably need to "try" and decide how far you want to go with the car, or atleast get a general idea of a goal. I know, I know, it always changes, and it gets addicting. I wouldn't waste any money on the GM stuff personally. Do some searching and reading on these boards to find out what has worked for other members. Congrats on your purchase!
Thanks!! I'm shooting for 260-275 WHP This will give a Power/Weight ratio around 11:1 and give me plenty to play with those ricer punks..........I got "Revved" four times one day. I know I could have beat them all as is..........but I'd like to dish out a spankin' especially to my buddies 5.0.......I'd love to see his jaw drop

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 05:57 PM

First thing ya need to do is drop that baby!! Some sportlines(eibach) or SSC(canuck motorsports on ebay). I just dropped mine and it looks way better!! Also installed injen Cai yesterday! I've never heard so much wining!! sounds great!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM

I'm leaving the suspension stock until the warranty expires.......I've lowered most of my projects and for the most part they don't make great daily drivers. I'll put 15,000 on this car during the nice months, every year. I've only had it 17 days and I've put almost 1900 miles on it already sooooooooo....... considering the Michigan roads and slopes in and out of some places I go I'll leave it stock. I like the ride too. Sporty but not too harsh.
Funnest car I've ever had!!! And the sound system doesn't even need upgrading Or maybe I'm just getting old........

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:29 PM

WELCOME!!!

another michigan guy!!!!!!!

GM got yet another guy to but the stage kit.....(sigh).....that 1g price seems dam high tho...

glad to hear you like to turn a wrench!

happy moding
Old 09-16-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BanzaiSS
Thanks!! I'm shooting for 260-275 WHP This will give a Power/Weight ratio around 11:1 and give me plenty to play with those ricer punks..........I got "Revved" four times one day. I know I could have beat them all as is..........but I'd like to dish out a spankin' especially to my buddies 5.0.......I'd love to see his jaw drop

Banzai !!!!!!!!!!!!!

275whp is pretty easily achieveable. Bolt ons, tuning, INTENSE stage 5, and a clutch, you should be there. If you want to piece it together yourself, basically a 2.5" supercharger pulley, 60lb injcectors, tuning, colder plugs, along with the bolt-ons. You'll need a stronger clutch. 275whp is enough to run 12's in these cars, as it has been done.