General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

How to access entire sunroof drain on PS side?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to access entire sunroof drain on PS side?

Does anyone know how to access the sun roof drain near the kick panel/glove box on the passenger side?

I must have a break or disconnect in my drain line because I have the common issue of water on the passenger side floor when it rains or I go through the car wash.

I've already checked to make sure it was connected at the sun roof, I just can't see where exactly it goes after the bottom of the pillar. Do I need to pull the dash or the kick panel or both? I figure it must've been clogged in the winter, then froze and cracked or broke.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:13 PM

So I decided to look into this again this weekend. Hopefully this helps someone out......
I was getting water leaking down on the passenger floor and thought it was my drain line cracked or disconnected. It turned out to be the water was going over the top of the drain catch area, then dripping down the headliner and down the outside of the drain tube, down the pillar, and down onto the floor.

You can see in this picture there is a little black piece of material over the top of the track for the sunroof.

For some reason the water would go over the top of the drain. I poured tons of water directly into the drain and it would come out underneath the car as it should. As soon as I poured water onto this little black piece it would poor all over the floor. I decided to seal off the edges with some silicone. Hopefully directing all of the water into the drain and resolving my issue. The drain works as it should as long as the water is going into the drain!
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I hear that crap can plug up the sunroofs drain tube down stream and cause backups and blasting compressed air down can help...thats what I read here anyways
Old 09-23-2014, 07:07 PM

I know. I cleaned the drain a few times and they were clear. Finally trying I fixed the issue.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:58 PM

What year is your car ?

Originally Posted by hatrik8
So I decided to look into this again this weekend. Hopefully this helps someone out......
I was getting water leaking down on the passenger floor and thought it was my drain line cracked or disconnected. It turned out to be the water was going over the top of the drain catch area, then dripping down the headliner and down the outside of the drain tube, down the pillar, and down onto the floor.

You can see in this picture there is a little black piece of material over the top of the track for the sunroof.

For some reason the water would go over the top of the drain. I poured tons of water directly into the drain and it would come out underneath the car as it should. As soon as I poured water onto this little black piece it would poor all over the floor. I decided to seal off the edges with some silicone. Hopefully directing all of the water into the drain and resolving my issue. The drain works as it should as long as the water is going into the drain!
Mine is 09, and I am fighting this issue.
Saw this and thought Cool, that's my problem - except I do not have that piece on either side.

Thanks !

Britt
Old 04-25-2016, 01:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Strange; i don't have that on mine either.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:30 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
That plastic bit looks very DIY, neither of the edges are straight.

I want to believe there's a seal between the roof and sunroof such that it would force all the water down the drain or out of the car. The image of the assembly is a different story though, no sunroof to roof seal seems to be in the assembly.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Cobalt SS

HELP
Sunroof leaking after heavy rains.
Checked drains all are open free flowing
Dropped headliner to make sure hoses connected to drain and hose.
It appears that water flows over the top of the black plastic onto the white hose then runs down the drain hose on the outside soaking passenger floor.
Did anyone find a fix for this?
Old 11-09-2020, 05:03 PM

Did you try putting some sealant/caulk like I described? Or are you having a different problem then I did?
BTW Mine hasn't leaked since. It's been 6 years
My car is an 2006 SS 2.0 LSJ
Old 11-09-2020, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hatrik8
Did you try putting some sealant/caulk like I described? Or are you having a different problem then I did?
BTW Mine hasn't leaked since. It's been 6 years
My car is an 2006 SS 2.0 LSJ
My car doesnt have that plastic piece on the track like yours. I tried adjusting the height up and down. No matter water runs past the seal...runs over the top of black tracks and leaks on pass floor