General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

How do you like your Cobalt?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you like your Cobalt?

I don’t think we had a thread like this, so here I goes Talk about your car

Trim?
Options?

What are some things you love about your new Cobalt?
What are some of the things you wish it had, or was better?
What other cars did you consider?
What are your modification plans?

What do you like about this site?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I absolutely love mine. Probably the #1 thing is the overall refinement of the vehicle. Small things like the sound of the turn signal, the solid sound of the door closing. and the quietness of the car are amazing for the economy class. Add in the great power and looks of the Cobalt and cool features like the DIC and I have a real winner in my driveway!

However, there are things I wish I could change/add about the car:

- lose the old school antenna and switch to an in-glass version
- a more aggressive looking front end
- heated side mirrors
- side window defrosters
- side airbags standard
- larger trunk opening; a design change to a hatchback coupe like the RSX would do wonders
- change the chrome door handles to brushed metal to avoid nasty fingerprints

I was considering pretty much every car in the economy class but it came down to the Cobalt and the Mazda3. My company's GM discount (~$1700) swung me over to the Cobalt.

I'm only tinting the windows and changing the tires. Not enough money to do anything else!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:31 PM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
100 percent love the car
if i was going to design and manufacture a vehicle it would be this one,
kick in the ass acceleration, smooth shifting, aggresive stylin, pimp interior and it cost me 22k out tha door

superchargers for all

only things im looking at are a CAI and some tuning stuff for a smaller pulley
a warrantied 275 horse monster would be the greatest
Old 06-03-2005, 09:52 PM

Don't like it. Wouldn't do it again if I had the chance. Wish I didn't have to do it now. Stuck with it for now though till I can turn it in.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Loving it 100%. i will eventually add tints and CAI. I just recently installed a chrome grille which makes it look even better. Could not ask for anything better. Well maybe some extra money so i could have maybe afforded a SS/SC other than that awesome car
Old 06-03-2005, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by rm25x
Don't like it. Wouldn't do it again if I had the chance. Wish I didn't have to do it now. Stuck with it for now though till I can turn it in.
care to elaborate?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Moderator Alumni

You can just say it sucks without telling us why !
Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by zinner
You can just say it sucks without telling us why !
Maybe he got a Neon with cobalt badges
Old 06-04-2005, 12:12 AM

Trim? LS Sedan
Options? automatic transmission, ashtray and I think that's about it

The new platform, the styling (especially those gold, "raised" bowties), the steering wheel, the "upscale" feel to it (the interior is like a "mini-Malibu"), the Driver Information Center (especially the outside temperature display), the automatic headlights, the design of the keyfob, the Ecotec engine (very reliable), the electric steering, and the abundant driver legroom -- I'm 6'2 1/2" and I don't even have to have the driver's seat back all the way. Plus it has the nice radio, which integrates well with the rest of the dashboard/instrument panel area.

I wish it had the Pioneer sound system. Yeah, I could have ordered one with it, but I didn't want to wait. :P I also wish it had a more user-friendly ignition switch (you have to insert the key just right or you have to pull it back out and try again), a "Chevrolet" badge, and more stain-resistant seats. One little stain can be very difficult for an average person to remove. An integrated antenna wouldn't hurt either.

What other cars did you consider? 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier LS coupe

What are your modification plans? None

What do you like about this site? The contests, news and informative discussions. Plus it's nice to post on a board with fellow Cobalt owners.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Proud Playstation 3 Owner

2005 Victory Red Cobalt SS
Red Inserts, Sunroof, XM Radio

The look, interior doesnt shake like a Cavalier. Oh yah the speed.

I was under the impression that it came with heated seats. Was disappointed. Wish it was an Automatic, but I'm learning the stick.

Ponitac Vibe GT

No major mods. Found the follies of modifing a daily driver.

Good site to gather information from other members about their SS.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:47 AM

Trim: 2005 Black Cobalt SS/SC

Options: G85 Package, Sunroof, Side Curtain Airbags

Well I just can not get enough of this car! It's absolutly awesome LOL!!!! The fit & finish, this car handles great, the power delivery is nice and smooth. Also love the seats very comfortable and suportive. There isn't much not to like!

Wish I had heated seats but I have the recaro's so if it was even availble still would be able to have it. An oil pressure guage. I wish the top of the door panels and dash were less like a lid to an igloo cooler.

Well I pretty much had my heart set about a year ago but was not financially stable at the time and when the chance came I took advantage of the situation and bought the car I wanted. I do wish I looked at other cars in the class mainly the SRT-4 and for that I do kick my self in the ass I should of never rushed into buy this car like I did BUT I do not regret it one bit!

Basic mods definitly, CAI, exhaust, header, and I plain on lowering the car a bit...Maybe GM's staged kits if they develope them. I will keep this car strictly towards performance. An Front and rear strut braces would be nice to have! But I guess I will see as more parts are available

What do you like about this site? Hrmm the lay out is decent and I like the Ride of the week feature ( I think thats what it is called LOL)
Old 06-04-2005, 06:45 AM

Problem after problem with it. Leaky windshield, can't get rid of the check engine light, headlights always come on now..... Its just a POS....
Old 06-04-2005, 01:41 PM

Problem after problem with it. Leaky windshield, can't get rid of the check engine light, headlights always come on now..... Its just a POS....
It that is true, and the dealer CAN'T fix it after 3 separate tries, then you can force them to buy it back under the lemon law.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JonelZ
I don’t think we had a thread like this, so here I goes Talk about your car

Trim?
Options?

things i love eveythign the seats , the powerm the look of it...the looks i get form other ppl...

i wish it had a cd changer and heated seats from factory insyead of goign tot he dealer and getting them to put it in

other cars i was considering were the redline, srt4, G35

mods will be CAI and maybe lower it a bit and exhaust, but other then that nothing too big dont wana rice it out...
Old 06-04-2005, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by bredick
Maybe he got a Neon with cobalt badges
The cobalt is beautiful. I love that care more than anything!!! Its a quick car too, but I really love it for its looks!
Old 06-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ssstraub
It that is true, and the dealer CAN'T fix it after 3 separate tries, then you can force them to buy it back under the lemon law.

yea if you car goes in for serive more then 3 times they got to replace the car for you
Old 06-04-2005, 02:21 PM

the law depends on which state you live in. Most of the time it goes to a arbitratror. And i know in texas they have 3 chances. Also the problem has to be something that greatly reduces the value of the car and or causes an extreme safety hazard. In texas they have the chance to repair it correctly. They will replace the vehicle with one comprabale to what you have.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:28 PM

GO to your dealer tell them you are going to look into lemon lawas ebcuase the car is falling apart... be nice though tell them to contact GM-Chevy whoever about taking it back to see what went wrong and replacing yours. I own a store we get some large returns on items and it makes it a lot easier if the customer gives me time to get in touch with the manufacturer first.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
yea if you car goes in for serive more then 3 times they got to replace the car for you
I think it has to be a major mechanical problem, though. A leaky windshield and the check engine light (as long as it still runs fine) wouldn't be enough. Just what I've heard, don't quote me.

I'm sorry to hear you're having all of these problems, rm25x, I hope things get worked out.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with mine. It's much more solidly built than any other GM I've owned. There is a rattle behind the rear seat on the driver's side. I'm pretty sure it is the cable to the seat release. I was thinking about lining the trunk and some other areas anyways with Dynomat sound deadener to further quiet the ride and should help eliminate the rattle at the same time.

My only major complaint is that I'm still having problems with 2nd gear, but with 97 miles already on the car before I purchased it, I'm sure it was pretty well abused at the dealership. That's what the warranty is for, and if necessary, hopefully the lemon law would apply here as well. I was speaking with a guy in the parts department at the same dealership I purchased from, and he was bragging about him and a salesman beating on an Evo that someone had traded in. I mentioned the miles on my car and the transmission problems, and he got quiet. I don't see this as GM's or the Cobalt's fault, but rather just a shady dealership that is responsible as I haven't heard anyone else with transmission problems like mine. This is most certainly inconvenient, but it will be worked out one way or another and I will be happy in the end.

No other complaints that I can think of, a great car otherwise.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by plyboy-illest
I don't think thats true. At least in all cases. I have heard a similar idea that if they dealer attempts to correct a problem with a new car 3 times they have to replace it.

Again however if your are in that situation I would strongly suggest you seek legal council. A car is a high price item and the dealer is going to replace it unless they ABSOLUTELY have too.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:50 PM

Trim: SS/SC
Options: Sunroof

- Performance
- Nice ride
- Pioneer stereo
- Quiet interior
- Colour - Sunburst Orange has to be seen on a bright, sunny day

All in all, I love the car, especially know that I've figured out how to drive it (First manual transmission ). I miss my truck a bit ('03 Silverado - 2WD, Reg. Cab, Sportside), but I'm having a lot more fun driving the SS.

- I wish they'd done more to the interior of the doors. Seems like a big hunk of plastic with an armrest.
- Wish I could get the outside temp in Fahrenheit, without having to switch ALL of the DIC to English (Though, I like my fuel economy in MPG rather than L/100KM anyway).
- Option to delete the spoiler on order. I haven't decided if I like it or hate it yet, but the option to order the car without it would be nice.
- Grille like the prototypes - the prototypes had a honeycomb like grill, rather than the vertical bars. I liked this better (and I think it'd match the rear of the car better).
- Darker tint - The so called "tint" on the windows from the factory is a joke Surely, they could've made the windows a BIT darker.
- Antenna - Put it in the damn window like every other GM product.
- Dual exhaust - Really surprised they didn't put a dual exhaust on it.

- Pontiac G6. If the coupe had been out, my decision might've been a bit more difficult. Prior to February, I wasn't even considering the Cobalt. I didn't think there was any way I'd be driving a lowly Cavalier. But, then I started looking around, reading up on the car, and found out it was no Cavalier...

- Tinted windows (Already done - 20% all around).
- Maybe remove that spoiler - still not sure.
- K&N Air filter (MAYBE a CAI).
- Probably nothing else - leasing.

- The users. It's the people who make the site, and by and large, the people here are great.
- Moderators - you guys seem to get rid of the scum relatively quickly
Old 06-04-2005, 05:08 PM

soon i will find out

I will be able to reply to this threat in a week or so, went to my dealership today, he thinks my car is probably in Windsor right now, so he's gonna call on Monday, put a rush on my car. He did that last week with a CTS after it sat in the lot for a week, and it arrived the next day. So I hope to be driving it by the end of this week. He also said mine will be the only one around here, it's the only 2005 SS/SC he's allocated to get and I got it.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:31 PM

I don't own one...YET...but here are my observations:

Friday, the Blue Cobalt SS with Blue Inserts our dealership was waiting for finally arrived. It's so damn nice, I figured I'd take it out for a spin, since we got to make sure this puppy works. I was stunned and pleasantly surprised.

Got into first gear and it slowly creeps away from where it stood, with each gear the car goes faster and faster. I'd say it's quicker than any other car I sell, except the Corvette.

Later on that day, someone with a supedup new neon drives by, drooling... but the car is very comfy, well appointed, German Built 2.0 Supercharged hauls, and it looks really really good.

Sitting on my showroom floor, selling for GMS!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM

hey that really sucks. I want one so bad... Would you guys recomend one? There are 2 at the dealer i work at. Blue or Yellow? My boss had one out and loved it, i guess he had it sideways and its a frount frive car.. awsome! yeah i have a 97 cavi.. junk.. and a 98 s-10 i got from my grandpa as a b-day present... i love it alot.. great truck, im keeping that, hopefully i can still afford a cobalt SS too.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:35 PM

hey those problems could just be first year flaws. You know some cars have them, just bugs that need to be worked out.. that could be it.

Quick Reply: How do you like your Cobalt?