General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

how heavy is an ss wing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Theoretically a spoiler could increase mileage. It could also cause a very large reduction. It all depends on the way it was engineered.

Without studying wind-tunnel data, it is impossible to say how the low and high rise spoilers on the Cobalt affect it. However, seeing how they are primarily cosmetic, I would hazard a guess that they would engineer them to be drag neutral or even positive.

But if they were poorly engineer they could potentially destroy your gas mileage. If it disrupted the boundary layer for example you could see huge losses in MPG efficacy.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by an0malous
*shrug* your entitled to believe what you wish.

but its not speculation. its math. and physics.

a wing aerodynamically tested with a low CD is not causing 4 times as much drag as running a car with the windows down.
just think about it for a second man, think about what happens when you wind your windows down.
the cabin is like a huge parachute....and that only drops you 1mpg....
Like I said anomolous. You win, hurray for you.

I get 42mpg immediately after I swap my wing, you get your unknown factors causing the 4mpg increase.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. You're turning into the exact reason why you dissappeared from the site for a while. Someone comes w/ straight fact and you have to argue it because you think you know more than the individual stating it. I am not some 16y/o newb just posting **** for the hell of it. I've been around for a while and I know what's realistic and what's not. I'm too old and too stubborn to sit here all day arguing **** w/ you...

Originally Posted by Fresh
going wingless IS NOT going to get you +4mpg. get that into your freakin head man. if you feel so passionate about your findings then publish a god damn paper and post it on the internet. you'll become famous for discovering this miraculous fact and evey car in the world will become wingless. it's too bad them damn ricers didn't figure this out before...ohwell, guess it's their loss and your gain
Way to bring this back to the fourth grade, Fresh. Get the hell out if you're not going to be constructive...

Last edited by Edubs; 05-23-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Im not the one making it personal Edubs. I have not once insulted you, or suggested you are a 16 year old.
And nor am I young and stupid, I commented on this because i have a background in Aeronautical Engineering.

As i said, your entitled to your belief.
there is no need to get aggressive over a disagreement.

have a good day.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Edubs
Way to bring this back to the fourth grade, Fresh. Get the hell out if you're not going to be constructive...
whatever man. just use some common sense.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 PM

20 mph wind difference is HUGE as far as drag on a car goes.... think about on a still night how much drag is on the car from 20mph to 40mph thats a big difference. and the wing probly helped a little bit i realistically attribute it to 10% of your mpg loss. the rest of it could be wind... could be lowering elevation one way and higher the other if you were drafting anyone for any ammount of time, how you accelerated how many times you accelerated could also be a variable. and ofcourse the wind as well.

too many variables to call that anything different at this moment.

and dont be a d-bag to people..... he was simply disagreing and you took it as offense and retaliated by calling him out. so just drop it its childish.

and everyone knows arguing on the internet is like the special olympics..... sure there might be a winner sooner or later, but if you are participating you must be retarded.

Minute changes in driving yeild high returns of mpg
Old 05-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by an0malous
Im not the one making it personal Edubs. I have not once insulted you, or suggested you are a 16 year old.
And nor am I young and stupid, I commented on this because i have a background in Aeronautical Engineering.

As i said, your entitled to your belief.
there is no need to get aggressive over a disagreement.

have a good day.
How did I make it personal? I simply clarified that I'm not the new kid on the block. Just like you did in this post. Don't take it personal.

And, I'm not being aggressive, I'm being assertive.

There is nothing more frustrating than simply stating fact and then being disagreed w/ by people claiming your statements are "hearsay." I wish the arguement would have started w/ you to begin w/, because it's much easier on my brain. I know that you're simply bringing logic into this scenario. I am simply bringing my findings.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm going to agree with anOm. God if the spoiler killed gas mileage the car companies wouldn't do it.

Easier to meet the CAFE standards

drag force will not cause a ten percent reduction in gas mileage.

How you checked your mileage against the DIC vs. Actual?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by KillinKrullin
and dont be a d-bag to people..... he was simply disagreing and you took it as offense and retaliated by calling him out. so just drop it its childish.
1) Dude, how did I call him out?

2) I'm not claiming that my milage only increased for the trip. I am claiming that I still get that better milage. Elevation is not a factor when I'm driving on the same roads day-in day-out...

Originally Posted by umrdyldo
I'm going to agree with anOm. God if the spoiler killed gas mileage the car companies wouldn't do it.

Easier to meet the CAFE standards

drag force will not cause a ten percent reduction in gas mileage.

How you checked your mileage against the DIC vs. Actual?
I've already agreed that the wing isn't the only factor here. I'm just having a hard time coming up w/ something else that could have changed to, all of the sudden, get an increase of 4mpg.

And yes, I always go by actual milage, not the DIC. That tends to read higher, but it's pretty accurate for what it is...

Last edited by Edubs; 05-23-2008 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Very odd, mine reads lower than DIC. 27~ vs 29~.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Balt
Very odd, mine reads lower than DIC. 27~ vs 29~.
I'm confused. My actual is typically higher than my DIC.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Christ, how come everyone on here turns the simplest topic into a huge debate?
Edubs, regardless of how you got your +4MPG I think we're all jealous and wouldn't mind a little fuel economy gain ourselves. I have to agree with everyone in saying that that gain more than likely isn't purely from losing the wing, part of it definitely, all of it probably not. But hey, who knows maybe your car is just a freak of nature and started getting better fuel economy.
Regardless of what caused it, can we all just agree that no matter what the slight performance/economy differences are in 'high wing vs low wing vs no wing' (mostly at top speed only), it all comes down to personal preference? Cause that would be nice.
/thread.

PS - high-rise ftw haha
Old 05-23-2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
Christ, how come everyone on here turns the simplest topic into a huge debate?
Edubs, regardless of how you got your +4MPG I think we're all jealous and wouldn't mind a little fuel economy gain ourselves. I have to agree with everyone in saying that that gain more than likely isn't purely from losing the wing, part of it definitely, all of it probably not. But hey, who knows maybe your car is just a freak of nature and started getting better fuel economy.
Regardless of what caused it, can we all just agree that no matter what the slight performance/economy differences are in 'high wing vs low wing vs no wing' (mostly at top speed only), it all comes down to personal preference? Cause that would be nice.
/thread.

PS - high-rise ftw haha
Agreed...
Old 05-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Thank you haha

Now let's discuss abortions and politics lol
Old 05-23-2008, 02:53 PM

Maybe it'd help if I point out mine is bone stock, though. Hehe. I wasn't trying to start anything, just thought it was strange that my DIC is optimistic compared to others.

As for politics, there are other threads on that somewhere.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Wild Balt
Maybe it'd help if I point out mine is bone stock, though. Hehe. I wasn't trying to start anything, just thought it was strange that my DIC is optimistic compared to others.

As for politics, there are other threads on that somewhere.
Yeah, I had a funny politics remark too, but he went and edited that outta his post...
Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 PM

There ya go, back in. Didn't want to start a riot haha
Old 05-23-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Billig ss/sc
There ya go, back in. Didn't want to start a riot haha
Ah HA!!!
Old 05-24-2008, 02:12 AM

Wow, Edubs was getting pretty damn upset there for awhile. I thought I saw virtual tears.