General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Huge axel problem! please help asap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huge axel problem! please help asap!

Hi guys so I'm in a huge rush to get this problem figured out. I messed up my axle by hitting a curb really fast. I brought it into my mechanic who not only "fixed" the axle but swapped out my stock battery with my optima yellow top. I just go it back today only to find out that my sound system was blown and that the handling in the vehicle is still shaky. I had to replace my back right tire too because it had a nice chip in it. After having the tire replaced and realigned too I still felt like something is not right about the car.... I'm freaking out because I'm running out of money and this seems to be an unfixed problem on top of the blown sound system. Anyone have any ideas why it might feel funny?

Some additional details is that when i'm driving at a higher speed the wheel feels like its all over the place and the mechanic told me before I picked it up that it was taking a while because they were having a hard time putting the axle in with the suspension. He said they had to completely disasemble parts to fix it. Help please! I need this car fixed the proper way or is it all in my mind!?
Old 06-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Hard time putting the axle in with the suspension? You can put an axle in by removing only the lower control arm bolt and nut and popping the control arm from the hub.

Which mechanic did you take it to? If he undid the suspension components is your sway bar hooked back up?

Joel
Old 06-22-2011, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianCobalt
Hard time putting the axle in with the suspension? You can put an axle in by removing only the lower control arm bolt and nut and popping the control arm from the hub.

Which mechanic did you take it to? If he undid the suspension components is your sway bar hooked back up?

Joel
i mean if i knew what half this stuff was i could probably do it myself. not to be rude but thats why I brought it to one. anyway I'm wondering if the wheels never got aligned or something... but like I said I have no idea...
Old 06-22-2011, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Supercharge91
i mean if i knew what half this stuff was i could probably do it myself. not to be rude but thats why I brought it to one. anyway I'm wondering if the wheels never got aligned or something... but like I said I have no idea...
You asked a technical question and got a good response. Don't take this the wrong way... but we can't help you over the internet by playing pictionary...

Take it back to the "mechanic" you took it to and raise hell or take it to a reputable collision shop to have it properly diagnosed and fixed.

My thought? You either blew out your ball joint, the rear control arm bushing or a hub bearing. Oooorr you bent a wheel. If you hit a curb hard enough to bust an axle then you could have done all five of the above.