General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

If i had to do it over again...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i had to do it over again...

i might have gotten the SS....id like to hear some opinions as why/why not i should get an SS over the current SRT-4 i own...say what you like...discussion is open i wont get pissed about the "neon" comments.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:11 AM

13 views and no one can justify why?? great confidence in your vehicle guys
Old 12-01-2005, 02:15 AM

are you considering trading the neon for the SS? if so, i would say keep the neon, bc you already have it and have probably started mods already. unless you are very financially stable, keep it until its paid off.

that said, i'd probably take an SS/SC over the neon srt-4 if i were looking for a domestic tuner car. i've seen both run and the SS/SC impressed me a lot more. plus its, well.....you know.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:19 AM

I had the srt-4 i traded it in after a month and just got my ss/sc and i love it 10000x more then the srt-4 and plus even with a turbo in it.. it is still a neon.. not picking on you just overall but just like he said ^^ If it isnt a prob then go for it man
Old 12-01-2005, 02:21 AM

The Cobalt is fresh and new. It is the new kid on the block and you do not see to many. In my small town there is about 3 srt4's and only one cobalt ss sc (mine)Looks better too I always get props at the gas stations. The SRT-4 is a good car it just still looks like a neon. Performance wise the stock for stock non-acr srt-4 the cobalt wins. Gas mileage is better for the Cobalt. Handling is better on the Cobalt that is non acr srt-4. Seat comfort is better in the cobalt and for me that was a big plus. I drive around 190 miles almost every day. The eocotech might be a better engine but it is still too new to say that at least under boost. The engine as been proven under other cars.

So to sum it up:

New kid on block
Looks
gas mileage
comfort
handling
Old 12-01-2005, 02:29 AM

I was considering an SRT-4 w/ ACR when I bought my cobalt. I test drove one and can say that I enjoyed it. The reason I chose the Cobalt over the SRT4 was the build quality, insurance, and the two doors.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mercury
I was considering an SRT-4 w/ ACR when I bought my cobalt. I test drove one and can say that I enjoyed it. The reason I chose the Cobalt over the SRT4 was the build quality, insurance, and the two doors.
i just wish the cobalt could make power on par with the srt (modded)
Old 12-01-2005, 02:41 AM

stage 2 is 240 for the cobalt??
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 AM

whats your goal for this car? id say most of us want a "fast" (for our cars, not lambo's), reliable DD that we can mod and work on. consider:

how does each car resond to mods?
reliability
insurance
personal preferences (style, brand, etc)

in the end do what makes you happy man
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by helty
whats your goal for this car? id say most of us want a fast, reliable DD that we can mod and work on. consider:

how does each car resond to mods?
reliability
insurance
personal preferences (style, brand, etc)

in the end do what makes you happy man
The goal i have always wanted to get to in a sport compact 4 cylinder yet has always evaded me (though it might sound corney) is 300whp
Old 12-01-2005, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GeoChevyCobalt
The Cobalt is fresh and new. It is the new kid on the block and you do not see to many. In my small town there is about 3 srt4's and only one cobalt ss sc (mine)Looks better too I always get props at the gas stations. The SRT-4 is a good car it just still looks like a neon. Performance wise the stock for stock non-acr srt-4 the cobalt wins. Gas mileage is better for the Cobalt. Handling is better on the Cobalt that is non acr srt-4. Seat comfort is better in the cobalt and for me that was a big plus. I drive around 190 miles almost every day. The eocotech might be a better engine but it is still too new to say that at least under boost. The engine as been proven under other cars.

So to sum it up:

New kid on block
Looks
gas mileage
comfort
handling
No... stock for a stock, a non-ACR SRT-4 still out performs the Cobalt.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by wasey13
No... stock for a stock, a non-ACR SRT-4 still out performs the Cobalt.
in a strait line id agree...i dont know about the twisties though.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:52 AM

Stage 2 is 247 hp or so I read. In addition, The 205 hp stock is way underated. My other car is a 67 GTO, 400 bored .60 over. Wieght to ratio comparison, I can't complain.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by eric
Stage 2 is 247 hp or so I read. In addition, The 205 hp stock is way underated. My other car is a 67 GTO, 400 bored .60 over. Wieght to ratio comparison, I can't complain.
stage 2 no toys is 260hp/280tq.....stage 2 with toys is 280hp/300tq for the srt
Old 12-01-2005, 03:49 AM

most cobalts get around 215 to the wheel, Gm underrated the power. mine was getting 223 (so says the dyno at K&N) and now with an intake i get alittle over 230 so the SS does have power. the draw back is that we dont have to many mods yet.

You have an SRT-4 i would say keep it its a great car, looks and performance it has it nailed down.

I was going to get an SRT-4, i love the car, but i ended up getting the S/C (my dad persuaded me) if you would ask me to trade the car in now i wouldnt, (well maybe to a viper or lingenfelte or calaway vette.)

Ive driven both cars and the SS is a bit more fun to drive, it also has a better interior.
Looks wise they both have their ups and downs but both look great.

performance goes to the SRT-4 (with 2 competant drivers teh SRT-4 will always win or atleast 9 out of 10 times)

my .2 cents keep the SRT-4 its a great car. But hell if you have the $$$$$$$ get both and enjoy!!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by CobaltSS132
most cobalts get around 215 to the wheel, Gm underrated the power. mine was getting 223 (so says the dyno at K&N) and now with an intake i get alittle over 230 so the SS does have power. the draw back is that we dont have to many mods yet.

You have an SRT-4 i would say keep it its a great car, looks and performance it has it nailed down.

I was going to get an SRT-4, i love the car, but i ended up getting the S/C (my dad persuaded me) if you would ask me to trade the car in now i wouldnt, (well maybe to a viper or lingenfelte or calaway vette.)

Ive driven both cars and the SS is a bit more fun to drive, it also has a better interior.
Looks wise they both have their ups and downs but both look great.

performance goes to the SRT-4 (with 2 competant drivers teh SRT-4 will always win or atleast 9 out of 10 times)

my .2 cents keep the SRT-4 its a great car. But hell if you have the $$$$$$$ get both and enjoy!!!
Very insightfull.....one of the best answers ive heard...thank you
Old 12-01-2005, 05:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

my friend has stage 2 with FMIC,PSI ECU, intake, Exhaust, PSI tranny mounts and a few other things from a 40 roll i jump a full car then he takes over and murders me. (6+ cars)

my other friend has stage 1 (orange one w/ black rims) and is pushin 27 PSI "spikes" were waiting for his car to blow up as we speak

SRT-4's are nice but there interior (except seats there nice) lacking. and the shifter is a bus shifter lol BUT it is one fast car
Old 12-01-2005, 07:37 AM

Even though the Neon is faster and has more mods avaible to it---I could never buy one.

1. Cobalt is way more refined/ Neon felt very cheap

2. Cobalts interior is way better. Materials used, fit and finsh and design.

3. Whats with the low 6000rpm redline? The whole point of OHC and 3-4 valves per cly is that they can rev. 6500rpm is still low on the S/C but its not terrible.

I will admit I have not drivin a SRT-4. But the 2.0L Neon I drove sounded like a trator engine! Very unpleasent sounds and ROUGH! Ecotec is a smoother more advanced engine.

4. coupe body style owns 4 door anyday.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:38 AM

Yeah avro206/\

Build Quality was a big factor.... The SRT4 felt flimsy and unstable as far as fit and finish goes.

On the cobalt, everything is locked tight.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:04 AM
The Stig

I like both to be honest, I personally liked the looks of the SS better though.

However, the out of the box stright-line performance of the srt4 is enviable.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:12 AM

You should get the SS b/c your cluch will last 5,000 miles.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 AM
The Stig

Originally Posted by Alex47
You should get the SS b/c your cluch will last 5,000 miles.
I have 12K + miles on my clutch with no problems.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 AM

I was in a similar boat trying to figure out srt-4 or ss/sc ... I knew that the srt-4 was faster and had more mods already available and that was always something I looked forward to but when I sat in the ss for the first time it was incredible ... albeit my first test drive was on an ss that was not working correctly as it had boost problems my second test sold me ...

the cars look for me is much more refined and with good lighting in the right conditions it is very exotic looking ... the srt-4 was aggressive and in your face which as a dd I could not justify looking like a punk everywhere I went ...

the drive in the ss is very solid and you get a sense that the car is actually taking care of you with how little road noise you actually can hear ... the interior is comfy and the gf likes the leather seats while friends are surprised that they can actually fit in the back ... the car has ***** on demand as I am sure it took everyone some time to get used to driving it and the breaking is great with enough softness to not jerk you around when the car stops ... the handling in the car is smooth and precise and it will stick to its line with confidence while changing direction suddenly will not make you feel like your gonna fly away ...

as a tuner car it is actually very reserved in the amount of noise that comes from the exhaust as you can barely hear it when cruisin but really hear it if you get on the gas which is perfect for a dd ... the engine is also very calm but when you slam the pedal to the metal get ready to hear it whine ... the srt-4 setup gargles like I do in the morning even when it's sitting still which has its own charm when showing off or driving with a group but when driving casual it would get over bearing ...

overall the cars have their own idea of what a sporty compact tuner should be and I think the ss/sc will draw a more diverse crowd and as I have experienced and seen with our meet and the website it appears that for the most part the ss draws upon any age group tech specs aside everyone is interested in our car ... my $.02

Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 AM

I love the SRT-4. To me it's fast, it sounds great and it looks awsome - from the front. Unfortunately, the sides and rear look like a neon/SX 2.0.

The SRT-4 does not get the respect it should. I've talked with many car nuts, several of whom are huge mopar fans but they didn't even know how great this car was. To them, as to most of the general public, it's just a neon. I found myself trying to promote and defend the SRT-4, trying to tell people these cars should be respected/feared. I couldn't imagine myself showing up to places in a car having to explain that "it's not a neon, it's fast".

Now with my SS/SC, I get people constantly asking questions and giving compliments. Like someone else posted, almost everytime I'm at a gas station, someone asks about the SS/SC. I've had people hold up traffic in one lane so they could pull up beside me to yell "Nice car". First day I brought it to work, I had many people compliment it and say "Damn that car looks fast". That's the best part of the SS/SC - not only is it fast, but it looks fast too. I'll admit, I love racing from a light. With the SS/SC, it seems that everyone can tell it's a fast car and wants a shot - I LOVE IT. I feel that SRT-4s just like our cousins the Redlines are more like sleepers to the average Mustang, Camero, etc drivers. Once they prove themselves it's like "Damn that's one fast Neon/Saturn"

Sorry this post is so long, but I have just one more point.

The difference in quality and workmanship is huge. I was at a car meet and my car was side by side with an SRT-4, both had the hoods open. Under the hood of the SRT-4 was a mess of cheap plastic parts and tubes all crammed in there. The SS/SC's engine compartment was quite spacious and dare I say elegant? The Ecotec is a German engineered engine and it shows. I have been under many hoods in my day and I have never seen such a simple and clean design. I think GM has a real winner in the Ecotec and I'm thrilled that I have one in my car.

In conclusion, the SRT-4 stock for stock is faster than the SS/SC. With Stage II, I believe the SS/SC will be faster than a Stage I SRT-4. I have yet to see an SRT-4 with more than Stage I around my parts. There's plans to build the Ecotec up to over 1000hp, so it's just a matter of how far you want to take it. I would rather take a well built, stylish, rarish (not a word) car to higher levels of performance, than a car that I have to always explain "It's not a neon".
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
p7x

I'll put it this way. This is what went through my mind when deciding to get my car.

Exterior - SS good looking 2 door - srt4 4 door looks like a neon, i know things were changed for it but still.
Interior - SS Looks great with decent quality - srt4 don't like the interior seats are uncomfortable for a daily driver. power windows in the front not in the back no cruise control WTF.
Performance - SS has good performance in all areas - srt4 has good performance in all areas and straightline beast.
Potential - SS has potential (undetermined yet) - srt4 insane amount of hp can be put in that car.
Price - pretty similar
New - SS new hot car - srt4 discontinued
Public - regardless of the bad rep the cobalt has been getting, everyday I turn heads and get complimented on my car - srt4 everyone thinks your just another neon

Quick Reply: If i had to do it over again...