General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Just bought an SS/SC.... need help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:50 PM
cHz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought an SS/SC.... need help...

The previous owner installed a 2.5" ZZP Downpipe with High-Flow Cat... 2.5" ZZP Catback Exhaust with Muffler and a ZZP Resonator Delete Pipe

The car is a little too loud for my liking so I've been looking into getting rid of the RDP and replacing it with a ZZP Resonator... that'll help the sound a lot right?

Or will a Vibrant one do the same thing for a lot cheaper? Or should I just go to local exhaust shop and have them do a custom job for like $50-$60?

And here is my big concern... the person I bought it from said he didn't do any suspension work but he believes the owner before him cut the springs approx 3"

It takes bumps extremely hard...

I can just barely fit my fingers in between the tire (245's) and the wheel well on the rear driver side... the rest of the car is a little higher so I don't know if it just wasn't a perfectly even cut or there's another issue but it's still too low for liking....

But anyways I don't want the car THAT low... what can I do to fix this? Do I have to purchase new springs? And if so, any recommendations? Something that won't break the bank but won't make the car slammed to the ground
Old 05-07-2017, 05:56 PM

If they cut the springs I would definitely replace both the springs and the struts. It's probably blown. Or you can get new struts with lowering springs. Either would be better than cut springs. And I had the 3" ZZP Catback with no resonator. You can see if your local shop can just weld in a resonator. Or I'm pretty sure you can buy just the resonator on ZZP's website for about $150. I agree especially with the 3" exhaust that a resonator is a MUST. I ended up selling it and going back to stock.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 263 Likes on 222 Posts
instead of a typical resonator i used a magnaflow round muffler in place of the "resonator". i found it helps quieten the exhaust a little more. essentially this is what the zzp whisper resonator is. just figure out what sizes and you may be able to get a magnaflow cheaper local.

id be having a close look at all the suspension. if the springs were cut they are junk, and the struts have likely seen better days. your best bet for a good strut/shock and spring combo is the ss/tc struts/shocks and powell yyz springs from Crate Engine Depot - Chevrolet Performance Parts and Engines. they have a complete drop in strut package with all new mounts, mount bearings, strut boots, struts, springs, etc for a reasonable price. they also have great pricing on the struts and springs. this is the best bet for a good riding and handling cobalt.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by cHz
The previous owner installed a 2.5" ZZP Downpipe with High-Flow Cat... 2.5" ZZP Catback Exhaust with Muffler and a ZZP Resonator Delete Pipe

The car is a little too loud for my liking so I've been looking into getting rid of the RDP and replacing it with a ZZP Resonator... that'll help the sound a lot right?

Or will a Vibrant one do the same thing for a lot cheaper? Or should I just go to local exhaust shop and have them do a custom job for like $50-$60?

And here is my big concern... the person I bought it from said he didn't do any suspension work but he believes the owner before him cut the springs approx 3"

It takes bumps extremely hard...

I can just barely fit my fingers in between the tire (245's) and the wheel well on the rear driver side... the rest of the car is a little higher so I don't know if it just wasn't a perfectly even cut or there's another issue but it's still too low for liking....

But anyways I don't want the car THAT low... what can I do to fix this? Do I have to purchase new springs? And if so, any recommendations? Something that won't break the bank but won't make the car slammed to the ground
I've had sooo many different exhaust setups on my car, and the only one I would recommend is the STOCK one. Everything else is just rasp, rasp, rasp (other than the GMPP Touring, but good luck finding one.) You can keep the ZZP downpipe if there aren't any codes, but put a stock catback on if you can find one. If not, ZZP has a huge resonator that you can weld in place, but it's probably cheaper to find a stock catback and put that on.

Suspension sounds ghetto as hell. I'd recommend stock springs and the SS T/C shocks/struts. Replace the spherical control arm bushings while you're in there.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:36 PM
cHz

Originally Posted by chris88z24
I've had sooo many different exhaust setups on my car, and the only one I would recommend is the STOCK one. Everything else is just rasp, rasp, rasp (other than the GMPP Touring, but good luck finding one.) You can keep the ZZP downpipe if there aren't any codes, but put a stock catback on if you can find one. If not, ZZP has a huge resonator that you can weld in place, but it's probably cheaper to find a stock catback and put that on.

Suspension sounds ghetto as hell. I'd recommend stock springs and the SS T/C shocks/struts. Replace the spherical control arm bushings while you're in there.
Any recommendations where I can find a stock catback? I've looked around but havent come across anything
Old 05-09-2017, 05:38 PM
cHz

The ZZP Resonator is like $120-$150

The Vibrant Ulta Quiet Res is $80

What would the price on a stock catback be?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 PM
cHz

And do you guys know if these dimensions work?

14.7 x 6.9 x 5.4

Those are dimensions on the 2.5" Vibrant UQ
Old 05-09-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cHz
The ZZP Resonator is like $120-$150

The Vibrant Ulta Quiet Res is $80

What would the price on a stock catback be?
good luck finding a stock catback. When I had my Lsj I had a catted dp and catback from zzp with both the resonator and muffler and it was not too loud or annoying
Old 05-09-2017, 06:08 PM
cHz

Originally Posted by Supercharged06SS
good luck finding a stock catback. When I had my Lsj I had a catted dp and catback from zzp with both the resonator and muffler and it was not too loud or annoying
Yeah I've looked online haven't had any success

But thats refreshing, the car is fine at idle and lower RPM's but when I hit WOT and over 3k.... it is embarrassingly loud to where you can barely even hear the SC

Hopefully that's just cause of the Resonator Delete Pipe and once I get one it'll help a lot
Old 05-09-2017, 06:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cHz
Yeah I've looked online haven't had any success

But thats refreshing, the car is fine at idle and lower RPM's but when I hit WOT and over 3k.... it is embarrassingly loud to where you can barely even hear the SC

Hopefully that's just cause of the Resonator Delete Pipe and once I get one it'll help a lot
yeah I'd try to get a muffler and resonator. You can bolt em right in
Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 PM
cHz

Originally Posted by Supercharged06SS
yeah I'd try to get a muffler and resonator. You can bolt em right in
It does have a muffler but it has a Resonator delete Pipe so hopefully replacing that with a Resonator will reduce raspiness and drone
Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 AM
cHz

Can someone tell me if this fine for ZZP 2.5" Exhaust with Muffler

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by cHz
And do you guys know if these dimensions work?

14.7 x 6.9 x 5.4

Those are dimensions on the 2.5" Vibrant UQ
that should work, however it may hang a little low. my "resonator" (magnaflow round muffler) is huge, its a 6" round body thats 26" long. clearly i went with bigger is better. i do scrape it every so often on speed bumps, and ive had to replace it because it started rattling. magnaflow makes a 5" round body thats a little shorter, that would be my choice in the future if i gotta swap this one out again.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sharkey
that should work, however it may hang a little low. my "resonator" (magnaflow round muffler) is huge, its a 6" round body thats 26" long. clearly i went with bigger is better. i do scrape it every so often on speed bumps, and ive had to replace it because it started rattling. magnaflow makes a 5" round body thats a little shorter, that would be my choice in the future if i gotta swap this one out again.
I'm in the same boat with my exhaust. It's stock but the resonator is completely shot. I've researched options from going full cat back to just res and I'm going with just res because I honestly think the stock CB sounds great (except for the rattle). I was going to go with the Magnaflow 6" round by 26" long but I think the above post talked me into getting a 5" round since I deal with a lot of speed bumps in the Atlanta area. Sharkey: is your car lowered and that is what makes the 6" scrape or is it simply too big?
Its hard to buy a perfect and not jank LSJ these days apparently...
Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 AM

im on pedders springs, and my winter tires are a bit shorter, thats when i see the most issue. if i do it again im going with a 5" body, itll fix the issue.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:32 PM
cHz

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Sensen-Front-P...%257Ciid%253A7

can someone tell me if those fit 06 SS/SC?

my garage quoted me $150 a piece for the front loaded struts but they said I can probably find them cheaper online

I'm looking and a lot of them say excluding SS/Turbo models
Old 05-15-2017, 03:39 PM
cHz

This is what I was told I needed and the price quotes from my garage.... should I go with these prices or can I find better?

Front loaded struts - $150 each
Rear coil springs -$50 (didn't say if it was for each or not, assuming yes)
Rear shocks - $40 each
Old 05-15-2017, 03:42 PM

struts are different for an ss car. any strut will physically bolt in, however the ss struts have the spring perch and sway bar link bracket in a different location on the body, and they are valved differently. if it says it fits everything, its designed for an ls/lt car.

to my knowledge there are no quick struts available specifically for the ss cars, aside from the package crate engine depot has put together
Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM
cHz

Thanks sharkey
Old 05-15-2017, 03:58 PM
cHz

Ok so this is the mod list on my car when I bought it....

2.5" ZZP Downpipe w/ Cat
2.5" ZZP Catback Exhaust w/ Muffler
ZZP Resonator Delete Pipe (Being replaced with Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator)
K&N Typhoon CAI
ZZP Heat Exchanger
3.0" SC Pulley (not sure on brand)
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel

Is there anything I should absolutely add?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by cHz
Ok so this is the mod list on my car when I bought it....

2.5" ZZP Downpipe w/ Cat
2.5" ZZP Catback Exhaust w/ Muffler
ZZP Resonator Delete Pipe (Being replaced with Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator)
K&N Typhoon CAI
ZZP Heat Exchanger
3.0" SC Pulley (not sure on brand)
Exedy Stage 2 Clutch
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel

Is there anything I should absolutely add?
Depends what your goals are with the car. Have any idea where you want to end up with it?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:07 PM
cHz

Originally Posted by jdbaugh1
Depends what your goals are with the car. Have any idea where you want to end up with it?
I have another car but this is basically a DD so nothing crazy

I just didn't know if there were any important mods I was missing or anything
Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
where exactly would u guys get stock ss/tc springs? im not sure if i can even get the ss/tc springs now they didn't make alotta these cars and no local parts stores distinguish between fe1 3 or 5 springs :/
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM

Received 357 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by bahoodle
where exactly would u guys get stock ss/tc springs? im not sure if i can even get the ss/tc springs now they didn't make alotta these cars and no local parts stores distinguish between fe1 3 or 5 springs :/
You can get them at CED. But IMO if you are going to swap out these components just throw down an extra $200 and get the YYZ package.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:32 PM
cHz

Can anyone tell me about electronics?

im looking at this....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130290...0BT.html?avf=Y

It says you can buy their installation kit.... for like $40 or for $110.... the $110 one retains the steering wheel audio controls and the $40 doesn't.... that's not a big deal to me but...

But both kits say it doesn't work with the factory subwoofer though.... is that just because it doesn't include the correct wiring or whatever?

Like if I bought this touchscreen with the install kit and took it to a professional installer would they be able to hook it up to the factory subwoofer?