General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

locking gas caps

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
locking gas caps

Seems easy enough, but I'm trying to buy a locking gas cap for my 08 LS coupe.Dealer says "none listed". Duh.
Aftermarkets say "No 08's listed - yet. Have for 07"
Dumb question: are 08's the same gas entry as 07's ?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM

i would think so man. how much are they wanting?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I seriously doubt that this would have changed for the '08 model. I bought one at Advance Auto..only problem is the slot that the retaining ring/cord goes in is too narrow, so I had to eliminate that.

Once gas hit $3.50/gallon, I got it right away
Old 05-23-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by hatrickstu
i would think so man. how much are they wanting?
20 bucks.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:16 AM

i got one from ebay for 27. pretty sure all cobalts are the same. I had this when gas was 275. its a wonderful little thing
Old 05-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Banned

all gas entrys are the same............I have a locking gas cap
Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM

it's a production piece, they are all the same. You can get a decient locking one staring at 20-25 bucks and it goes up from there.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:20 PM

This may be a stupid question, but dont most new cars have something that prevents people from siphoning gas out of the tank now?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:28 PM

that's what I was always told, but you can never have too much security.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mcphatty
This may be a stupid question, but dont most new cars have something that prevents people from siphoning gas out of the tank now?
yes but people can still put **** in
Old 05-23-2008, 01:25 PM

My first "mod" to my Cobalt. Locking gas cap. Especially now that premium is $1.43L...
Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Price of gas doesn't matter, locking gas caps are a waste unless you've got enemies and are afraid of someone putting something IN your tank. Last thing I want to to is make my Cobalt look like a previous gen Eclipse.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:40 PM

My sister had a locking gas cap on her Cavi and lost her key, so her boyfriend took a screwdriver and had it off in less than 30 seconds. Kind of makes them a bit of a waste.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by GSMiller
My sister had a locking gas cap on her Cavi and lost her key, so her boyfriend took a screwdriver and had it off in less than 30 seconds. Kind of makes them a bit of a waste.
lol, i had a locking cap on my Caprice, and the mechanism froze in the winter (twice, but the second time it was screwed) And it took me 25 mins to get it off with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

Originally Posted by Tomtwtwtw
Price of gas doesn't matter, locking gas caps are a waste unless you've got enemies and are afraid of someone putting something IN your tank. Last thing I want to to is make my Cobalt look like a previous gen Eclipse.
? The cap replaces the clicky nozzle cover eh? Not the fuel door...

Last edited by TheCaptain; 05-23-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-23-2008, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TheCaptain
lol, i had a locking cap on my Caprice, and the mechanism froze in the winter (twice, but the second time it was screwed) And it took me 25 mins to get it off with a flathead screwdriver and a hammer.

? The cap replaces the clicky nozzle cover eh? Not the fuel door...
Well hers did come from Wal-Mart
Old 05-23-2008, 01:56 PM

ummm maybe you missed all the stories and even the posts of people stealing gas and selling it at a discount. A few members on the site here had it happen to them.

Why take the chance? plus it stops people from putting crap in there.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by OrngBalt
ummm maybe you missed all the stories and even the posts of people stealing gas and selling it at a discount. A few members on the site here had it happen to them.
An anti-siphoning device for preventing the siphoning of fuel. The device is adapted for permanent installation within the intake pipe of a fuel tank, and comprises a coiled, hourglass-shaped spring mounted within a three prong tubular cage. Once installed, the bottom end of the device housing the spring is positioned such that a substantial portion of the spring lies below the end of the filler pipe and projects downwardly into the fuel tank. This arrangement permits the rapid entry of fuel into the tank, while preventing any attempt to remove fuel via the insertion of a siphoning hose or tube.
Aside from that, people putting **** in tanks at random is extremely rare. As I said in my first post, if you have a reason to fear it, then go for it. I personally have never had it happen to me, nor to anyone I know or have ever known.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM

I'm assuming if I had one I'd have to get out of my car and unlock it for the gas station guy every time I filled up.

That seems like far too much hassle to me to prevent something that is rarely/never going to happen anyway.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Banned

Aside from that, people putting **** in tanks at random is extremely rare. As I said in my first post, if you have a reason to fear it, then go for it. I personally have never had it happen to me, nor to anyone I know or have ever known.
put it this way.... its better to be safe than sorry. sure maybe u don't have any enemys.... but there's still punks and ****** and 1 can just pick any random car instead of specific picking....and unfortunately could end up being you! I wouldn't take the chance.... that's why I got 1 right after I bought my car
Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by GhostFox
I'm assuming if I had one I'd have to get out of my car and unlock it for the gas station guy every time I filled up.

That seems like far too much hassle to me to prevent something that is rarely/never going to happen anyway.
they give you two keys... one to put on your keychain when you are filling your own gas and an extra. I keep it in the arm rest and hand it to the guy or you could just hand your keys over too.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM

**** **** siphoning people are soon going to be tapping into tanks with a battery operated pump by drilling a small hole in the gas tank.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chevy Cobalt 08
put it this way.... its better to be safe than sorry. sure maybe u don't have any enemys.... but there's still punks and ****** and 1 can just pick any random car instead of specific picking....and unfortunately could end up being you! I wouldn't take the chance.... that's why I got 1 right after I bought my car
True, anything and everything has its inherent risk, but to me and most, it's one worth taking. If anyone ever did something serious to my car, I have insurance and rental coverage. I pay them every month for peace of mind.

Not to mention, I've heard plenty stories of locking caps breaking, not sealing correctly (causing screwy emissions issues), and so on. To each his own.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM

Well, I live in a fairly safe/quiet area, but I work and do just about everything else in Memphis, TN. So anything I can do to keep these thieving sons of bitches from taking anything from me is well worth it. .....and considering I can't count how many times I've seen dumbasses put $2 worth of gas in their ride, and this is recently, you know they'd rather steal it than pay for it.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM

If I were a thief, I'd be going for Escalades and such for gas. Too much trouble for maybe 10 gallons if the guy has refilled recently.

I actually would rather invest in an easy on/easy off car cover to protect from door dings. Something much more common and much more of a hassle to deal with.

And Mythbusters shown that sugar in gas tanks doesn't do that much to motors directly. Probably just gums up the filter. Pennies did nothing. Wasn't until chlorine they started having issues.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:09 PM

Yeah.. I guess if somebody wants it bad enough, they'll find a way in, locking or no! Even the locking outer access panel that alot of cars have can be easily pryed open with a little screwdriver. My thoughts were the "safe than sorry" angle, but I was concerned about whether the aftermarket prods would effect emmissions tests or worse yet - the horrid evil of a check engine light possibly resulting from it. I dunno....... does anybody make a small batt opper alarm that would screech when the outer door opens? Something you turn right off or whatever. That'd be cool.... (a MAGNETO would be REALLY cool!) ZAP DEM BUGGERS!!!!

Quick Reply: locking gas caps