General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Long Trips... Is It Comfortable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Trips... Is It Comfortable?

So I got couple questions for you guys. I'm planning to take some vacation on New Year's and head to NYC with the GF. Now from Chicago to NY is like freaking 14-Hour drive. I don't want take a rental or fly over there.

1. How comfortable is the Cobalt for long trips? What's your longest trip in the Balt? My longest trip in the car prob 3 Hrs. I know our seats are not the comfiest, just wanna know if my back will hurt a lot.

I have snow tires on my car too,

2. Is it recommended to drive that much of a distance with snow tires? Also, I dunno if my car will hold up if I encounter a snow storm on the way

Suggestions/Opinions?
Old 11-29-2008, 11:32 PM

if your that concerned just play it safe and fly. no reason to worry yourself on such a long ride.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by GULLABLE0NE
if your that concerned just play it safe and fly. no reason to worry yourself on such a long ride.
I would, but airfares are very expensive, especially this time of year. Just staying in NY is already gonna be expensive. Trying to save some money
Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned

i have took a 5hr trip in my LT with cloth seats and it was pretty comfterable
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Dman!!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by LScoupeTUNER
Dman!!
Old 11-29-2008, 11:44 PM

I have driven from South Dakota to central california with my car...I was on stock tires still AND a ran into a blizzard in Wyoming. You should be fine so long as you can keep some traction. As for how sore you're going to be....it shouldn't be that bad for you...just make sure you are comfortable in your seat before you go and adjust your seat as necessary while on the road. my trip is 24 hours straight through...which means that it took me about 30 because I need sleep from time to time. Other than attempting to sleep in the back seat I was actually more comfy in this car than I have been in others making the same trip...hope that helps you.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not for nothing, but a 14 hour drive is not going to be comfortable regardless of the car you're in

i've driven probably 9 hours in the cobalt, and it wasn't bad. well it sucked, but not cause of the car.

plus, have you ever driven in new york? if not, you'll probably be better off not driving there. when you see what the traffic is like, you'll probably either walk or take a bus/train to wherever you have to go.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I regularly do long highway stints. I used to do them in a loaded 05' Altima 3.5SE, and if anything, my new 'Balt has been better. The seats are nice and supportive and it tracks MUCH better than the Nissan ever did.

The only things I'd say are bad for highway driving is, for one, the heavy steering; you can't one finger it, but that's likely a good thing. The only other thing is that the cruise isn't quite as accurate as I'd like it to be.

Really though, the only car I've ever driven better on the highway than my SS/TC was a $175,000CAD Lexus LS600h, but that's not relevant to this conversation
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM

It's comfortable.

I recommend two stops. 7 hours. Take a rest or switch. Then right before you get into NY traffic that way your fresh and not tired.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by D4u2s0t
not for nothing, but a 14 hour drive is not going to be comfortable regardless of the car you're in

i've driven probably 9 hours in the cobalt, and it wasn't bad. well it sucked, but not cause of the car.

plus, have you ever driven in new york? if not, you'll probably be better off not driving there. when you see what the traffic is like, you'll probably either walk or take a bus/train to wherever you have to go.
I know a drive like that will not be comfy. Well my family and I drove to Miami once, driving was exhausting but comfort was not that bad (we drove a Lincoln Navigator ) But I think we'll stop half way somewhere to rest.

Never been to NYC, but I know city traffic is crazy, maybe a lil it worse than Chicago. But the important thing is getting to the hotel.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:14 AM

My longest was 6.5-7 hours. I was actually comfy and not sore after the trip.

Now 14 hours might be a different story...
Old 11-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

He's from Chicago, he might have an idea of what traffic is like ... *suicide*

--

Anyways I took a 12hr drive in the cobalt, it wasn't uncomfortable and actually sleeping in the seat for a power nap wasn't to bad either...

--

But, NYC on New Years... have fun with that one
Old 11-30-2008, 12:22 AM

i drove 20hrs to florida in these and i was pretty comfy and 9hrs to mississippi comfy then 2 and tons of 2-3 hr trips...all in the race seats so with the stockers u should be more then fine....imo

as for the snow tires my whole four day the mississsippi trip was on snow tires.....u should be fine just go very slo they DONT corner.... so dont try
Old 11-30-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by REIGN SS
He's from Chicago, he might have an idea of what traffic is like ... *suicide*
--

Anyways I took a 12hr drive in the cobalt, it wasn't uncomfortable and actually sleeping in the seat for a power nap wasn't to bad either...

--

But, NYC on New Years... have fun with that one
not the same though. and if it's on new years? game over. seriously, leave a few days early, park your car, and walk because you'll never find a parking spot otherwise.

on or around holidays in new york, expect a 20 minute trip to take 2-3 hours driving. last time I went to the city, took i think 4 1/2 hours to get where I had to go, and it was maybe 50 miles or so. If you want to see the ball drop, better get there EARLY, and i really mean EARLY!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 AM

not the same though. and if it's on new years? game over. seriously, leave a few days early, park your car, and walk because you'll never find a parking spot otherwise.

on or around holidays in new york, expect a 20 minute trip to take 2-3 hours driving. last time I went to the city, took i think 4 1/2 hours to get where I had to go, and it was maybe 50 miles or so. If you want to see the ball drop, better get there EARLY, and i really mean EARLY!
Like 12 hours early....
Old 11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
Moderator Alumni
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Farthest I've driven in mine was to NC and then Myrtle Beach with the ex hooker, I thought it was quite comfortable. (8 hrs and then 2-3 more)
Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 AM

I find the seat in the Balt very comfortable. My wife and I used to have a Nissan Sentra and that car was ***** compared to how the Balt is when it comes to comfort. In the Sentra my body was screaming in like 1 hour on the highway. It truly was a piece of **** and I am glad it's gone.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackout06LS
Like 12 hours early....
yep. no exageration, get there early morning and camp out. and if you try to get too close, you'll probably get trampled and puked on, and might get some pee on your leg.

It's not as nice and fun as most people think it is. The ball dropping in new york is filled with nothing but loud, obnoxious, wasted people that would step on you if you fall down.

if you don't get there by like noon at least, you're not going to see the ball drop, and now you're just in the middle of the biggest crowd you have ever seen, can't move because people are packed in too tight, and overall not a good experience.

to recap, get there early, camp out, but don't get too close.

I realize that my posts in this thread seem a lil negative, and i'm not tryin to get you down before your trip. Going to new york can be a very enjoyable experience, especially for someone that's so far away and probably hasn't been there. but here's a couple pointers that will help make it more fun, and less of a headache.

1) go EARLY. you're going on what will be the most congested and packed day of the year, to an area that's busy as **** on a normal day. People drive from everywhere to go for the ball drop.
2) do NOT drive to the ball drop. walk. trust me on that. you will not move if you take your car, and will regret driving.
3) dress warm. it's always colder in the city, the breezes ripping around the buildings are crazy.
4) no heels for the gf. wear some comfy sneakers.

Last edited by D4u2s0t; 11-30-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2008, 01:34 PM

i have drove from the bay area to oregon its like 8 hrs my car was fine with the cloth seats but my girl was bitchin it was very uncomfy
Old 11-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

o, and if bums hit you up for money, all you'll contribute to is them buying some crack. don't give in. they have a talent of spotting out of towners, and coming up with some bs story about how it's new years and they can't give their kids anything for dinner. don't fall for it
Old 11-30-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
do NOT drive to NY for new years!! In the city, either walk or take the subway.

Listen to dust, he speaks the truth.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM

I drove non stop from minneapolis to phoenix, 26 hour drive and it wasnt too bad. Granted we did switch drives every 3-4 hours. You have an ss and they have even more comfy seats, I did it in an LS. Comfort wise i wouldnt worry too much, but safety wise, thats your call.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Haz l33t wheelz.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Drove from Ft. Bragg NC, to Huntington Beach California. like 3100 miles. took me 38 hours, and it was pleasant the whole time. didn't get uncomfortable from the seats, just from not being able to move. The cobalt kicks ass for road trips. this is ont he SS/SC suspension and 225/40 tires.

stopped twice to take a 2 hour nap. once on the North Carolina/ Tennessee border, and the other at the Oklahoma/ Texas border. Bring an iPod, and make sure it's charged, haha.

BTW, my brother was with me, but he drove for an hour, and the balt scared him, so i drove the rest of the way.

sorry, computer must have had a spazz attack.

Last edited by ls1fbody; 11-30-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

I drove from myrtle beach to buffalo ny . The recaro's were great , it was a nice drive.

Quick Reply: Long Trips... Is It Comfortable?