General Cobalt General Cobalt, Pursuit, and Ion talk. Post specific discussions in the forums below

Need a person that knows alot about Cobalt's

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackalope
So not only are you ignorant of the laws regarding your odometer but you fail to understand IF HE DISABLES THE SPEEDOMETER THE ODOMETER GOES OFF TOO! Please stop posting as you have no idea what your talking about and prooved you have ZERO idea of how the speedometer and odometer are conected and by disabling the speedo you ALSO disable the odometer which is ODOMETER FRAUD! I didn't take anything out of context and again if you knew our cars had an electronic speedometer and odometer and how they are both driven off the same system you'd know shutting off the speedometer would also disable the odometer. That's why its relevent and why I brought it up. And why if you break the law should others be as foolish as you?

Would you like your "stupid stick" back now?

Can you feel the burn? At least SOMEONE here KNOWS whats up besides me.
Hold on now...people have the stupid stick???? Great...because I like to shut people up that like to get uppity over what they "know"....The Speedometer and Odometer ARE NOT BOTH disabled if you disable one or the other.

Cobalt service manual electrical diagrams show the speedometer is controlled through a digital input, hence why the speedo is ONLY a receiver for the electrical signal sent by the PCM.....now how does your PCM get that information???? I am at work so I don't have time to scan in the pages, but typical setups for speedos include a magnet or gear that rotates and sends in pulses to the pcm which it measures. If I remember right...the cobalts speedo is measured at 4,000 pulses per mile and the sensor is in the transmission. The odometer is typically measured at or right before the axle for true distance measurements based on actual physical rotations of the axle(with stock tire size). This signal is sent to the PCM where it is recorded and then displayed on the LCD in the dashboard.....

So if you want to disable both...pull out the pcm....otherwise, disconnecting the wires from either the speedo or the odometer will not disable both at the same time since they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT SENSORS.

Even in those old cars that have the rotating numbers, it is electrical signals relayed from somewhere on the differential or axle out to the computer and up to the odometer to rotate. Once again a separate signal from the speedometer signals...granted I'm only talking 2000 and newer cars...

My 69 Mercedes Benz even has this system, the speedometer is a sensor on the wheel, and the odometer is a gear in the transmission that turns a wire up to the odometer.

And if you don't believe what I wrote above....post up ur email and I'll send you scans of the service manual when I get home. I'm sick of people who "know" what they're talking about on this forum. Get a manual or go home.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avenger09123
Hold on now...people have the stupid stick???? Great...because I like to shut people up that like to get uppity over what they "know"....The Speedometer and Odometer ARE NOT BOTH disabled if you disable one or the other.

Cobalt service manual electrical diagrams show the speedometer is controlled through a digital input, hence why the speedo is ONLY a receiver for the electrical signal sent by the PCM.....now how does your PCM get that information???? I am at work so I don't have time to scan in the pages, but typical setups for speedos include a magnet or gear that rotates and sends in pulses to the pcm which it measures. If I remember right...the cobalts speedo is measured at 4,000 pulses per mile and the sensor is in the transmission. The odometer is typically measured at or right before the axle for true distance measurements based on actual physical rotations of the axle(with stock tire size). This signal is sent to the PCM where it is recorded and then displayed on the LCD in the dashboard.....

So if you want to disable both...pull out the pcm....otherwise, disconnecting the wires from either the speedo or the odometer will not disable both at the same time since they are TOTALLY DIFFERENT SENSORS.

Even in those old cars that have the rotating numbers, it is electrical signals relayed from somewhere on the differential or axle out to the computer and up to the odometer to rotate. Once again a separate signal from the speedometer signals...granted I'm only talking 2000 and newer cars...

My 69 Mercedes Benz even has this system, the speedometer is a sensor on the wheel, and the odometer is a gear in the transmission that turns a wire up to the odometer.

And if you don't believe what I wrote above....post up ur email and I'll send you scans of the service manual when I get home. I'm sick of people who "know" what they're talking about on this forum. Get a manual or go home.
MOST people who do this cheep bypass mode put a switch from the trans sensor pick up to the PCM, not pull the dash apart and hook it up the way your sugesting. By disconecting the trans sensors you disable the speedometer, odometer. BTW transmission output shaft speed is also directly effected by tire size as well seeing how its what drives the axles. And all the ones I've seen (2005 and older back to about 2000, now if the newer ones are different then I would thank you for the correction.) the sensors were located on the output shaft.

Well it at least did on the ones I messed with. When I answer or try to help out someone with a question its usualy thru personal experences I've had dealing with the Cobalt and the Cavilier. Not just reading a shop manual.

Last edited by Jackalope; 03-25-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by PlaysWitCars
I dont know **** about cobalts so Im not help
me no speak english
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by heyitsmikey1987
me no speak english
good one

I thought HP tuners can change governer limits....?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:27 PM

good one

I thought HP tuners can change governer limits....?
It can. However as far as I know, and again if I'm wrong please correct me, no such tuning exists for the 2.2 cars PCM. A few people are trying to work on it but I don't know of any who cracked it yet.

As for the 2.4 and the 2.0 YES HPT can remove our gov.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 PM

It can. However as far as I know, and again if I'm wrong please correct me, no such tuning exists for the 2.2 cars PCM. A few people are trying to work on it but I don't know of any who cracked it yet.

As for the 2.4 and the 2.0 YES HPT can remove our gov.
HP Tuners cracked the 2007 E37 PCM when they decided to tune the 2007 Chevy Equinox Sport....retarded I know....as for your 05's and 06's....don't know where those are at....

but theres a dude who's cracked it alread i think he's making a custom tuning program he wants to sell to us....
Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM

HP Tuners cracked the 2007 E37 PCM when they decided to tune the 2007 Chevy Equinox Sport....retarded I know....as for your 05's and 06's....don't know where those are at....

but theres a dude who's cracked it alread i think he's making a custom tuning program he wants to sell to us....
Thats the 2.2 PCM correct? Well its a start anyway, and thank you. I myself have a 2.4 so its not a big deal to me, I was just trying to help.

Oh and PM sent.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM

Thats the 2.2 PCM correct? Well its a start anyway, and thank you. I myself have a 2.4 so its not a big deal to me, I was just trying to help.

Oh and PM sent.
Got the pm...thanks dude....i'm not a 21 year old engineer for nothing

2.2 PCM for the 07's is the E37...the 06's and 05's have a different one...like E38 or E68 or something like that..don't know for sure
Old 03-25-2008, 02:16 PM

Got the pm...thanks dude....i'm not a 21 year old engineer for nothing

2.2 PCM for the 07's is the E37...the 06's and 05's have a different one...like E38 or E68 or something like that..don't know for sure
Its nice to have a few people here who actualy know what they're talking about, I can count them on one hand. Being an ASE certified master tech in cars and heavy trucks as well as a GM certified tech helps me out. Now true its been a few years since I was active so some of my stuff is out of date, which is why I always ask to be corrected if I'm wrong. Now old hot rods and big blocks is my speciality! So if you wanna know how to get say an old Fire Bird to run low 11's and top out at 180+mph then I'm DEFINENTLY your guy!
Old 03-25-2008, 03:44 PM

quick question for u then...I am restoring my 69 mercedes 230 - inline 6 2.3L dual carb.....I know I need to clean the carbs and purge all the fuel lines and clean the gas tank.....anything else you recommend for me to fix before I crank the first time?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:06 PM

IF HE DISABLES THE SPEEDOMETER THE ODOMETER GOES OFF TOO! Please stop posting as you have no idea what your talking about and prooved you have ZERO idea of how the speedometer and odometer are conected and by disabling the speedo you ALSO disable the odometer which is ODOMETER FRAUD! I didn't take anything out of context and again if you knew our cars had an electronic speedometer and odometer and how they are both driven off the same system you'd know shutting off the speedometer would also disable the odometer. That's why its relevent and why I brought it up. And why if you break the law should others be as foolish as you?

Would you like your "stupid stick" back now?

Can you feel the burn? At least SOMEONE here KNOWS whats up besides me. Now according to the title of the thread he wanted someone who KNOWS about Cobalts, thats not you.
Really... Refer to first quote.
MOST people who do this cheep bypass mode put a switch from the trans sensor pick up to the PCM, not pull the dash apart and hook it up the way your sugesting. By disconecting the trans sensors you disable the speedometer, odometer. BTW transmission output shaft speed is also directly effected by tire size as well seeing how its what drives the axles. And all the ones I've seen (2005 and older back to about 2000, now if the newer ones are different then I would thank you for the correction.) the sensors were located on the output shaft.

Well it at least did on the ones I messed with. When I answer or try to help out someone with a question its usualy thru personal experences I've had dealing with the Cobalt and the Cavilier. Not just reading a shop manual.
Just because you ghetto rig **** doesnt mean I do so dont assume **** about me. I might not have as many posts as you but I have been educating myself on the Cobalt since I got mine on 5-24-2006.

quick question for u then...I am restoring my 69 mercedes 230 - inline 6 2.3L dual carb.....I know I need to clean the carbs and purge all the fuel lines and clean the gas tank.....anything else you recommend for me to fix before I crank the first time?
You say you are restoring it, I take it the engine has been recently rebuilt? If so just make sure you have all new fluids, wires, plugs, what you listed, ya know simple basics. Definately brakes if you havent checked them(I dont know you personally so I am listing more than most). Check most electrical, I am sure in 39 years the harness has probably been replaced atleast once but better to be safe. Trans fluid and grease all greasables... ect.

Last edited by tru2nrtt777; 03-25-2008 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
Really... Refer to first quote.

Actualy I had thought about what he said and he's not quite right. If you disable the speedometer drive AFTER the PCM it doesn't mater as the PCM is what controls the govenor and not the needle on your dash.

It'd be like cutting your headlights wires and then saying it disables the headlight switch. It doesn't, all it does is disables what you see and that has zero effect on the switch. Same in this case. See if this makes any sence to you......

Sensor--------wire-----------PCM--------wire---------Speedometer head in gauge cluster.
This is a very rough rendering in its stock form....
Sensor--------wire-----------PCM--------CUT---------Speedometer head in gauge cluster.
Now you have disabled the speedometer head in the cluster BUT the PCM is STILL recieving its signals from the sensors and doing its thing, IE limiting the cars top speed its just now YOU can't see how fast your going.

So while he may have gone into some depth in searching for a better way to disable the speedometer it WOULD NOT disable the limiter. The only way to do that is to cut the wires before the PCM, not after and in all the ones I've worked on doing so causes the odometer to cease funtion which is odometer fraud.

And I never said you didn't know anything about cars untill you started acting like a smart little snot calling someone probly twice your age and certainly far more knowledgable about cars "son". Know who your talking to before you start talking as to avoid further problems on line. Its nice you've been educating yourself on the Cobalt since 5/24/2006 but I've had formal training on cars since 1985 and been certified in one form or another since the early 90's. Thats a tad more then where your at in your self education. And disableing the top speed govenor with a switch no matter where its placed IS IN FACT "GHETTO RIGGING". The correct way to disable it would be thru programing of the PCM which is now only starting to yeild any results for the 2.2 and then only with cars newer then 2007 aparently from HPT. I'm not sure I'd trust "some guy" with tuning my PCM as all the times I've had it done problems in one form or another have arose. But thats just me I guess.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 PM

jackalopes right......^^^^^
Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM

jackalopes right......^^^^^
Thanks Avanger.

(and this from the man your citing as evidence as to my being wrong) You posted some GREAT stuff but something seemed odd to me but I'd been up since 8pm last night so I wasn't thinking as clear as I would have liked. A nice nap and I'm a little better off now.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tru2nrtt777
It isnt illegal, it is improbable, especially since it is against GM policy because they always go off stock tire capabilities(put shitty tires on, lower performance potential, save money). I never pegged the limiter til I got rid of the pos Conti-sports it came with, hell I never went over 80 til I got new tires. And yes I think you are correct that he is bullshitting us, he is banned for being retarded, that right there should tell his character.

hey jackasses just because you "think" im banned. i can still read the **** that your posting.

#1) to the moron that said its illegal. No ******* way it is. A dealership would not do something illegal putting its rep, and job on the line. derr

#2) When i get my new rims/tires ill post a pic. proving u retards wrong.. enough said.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:17 AM

Damn man sorry I TOTALY missed this post. How long has it been sitting? This is VERY important as to how you go about things.

Originally Posted by SicWithSkill
hey jackasses just because you "think" im banned. i can still read the **** that your posting.

#1) to the moron that said its illegal. No ******* way it is. A dealership would not do something illegal putting its rep, and job on the line. derr

#2) When i get my new rims/tires ill post a pic. proving u retards wrong.. enough said.

While your 110% correct a dealer wouldn't do anything illegal they also won't do anything thats unsafe and could put them at risk for legal action. Oh lets say you wrecking your bace model Cobalt at speeds it was never inteded to travel at. Thats why everyone here thinks your full of crap.

Last edited by Jackalope; 03-26-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SicWithSkill

well that wasnt too bright, was it? enjoy the re-ban
Old 03-26-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by braineater
Old 03-26-2008, 10:37 AM

the mercedes was running 6 or 7 years ago, just a rough idle.....
Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by VibrantCOBALT
ok, my gf has an auto cobalt that tops out at 105. how do i get that removed? and how much would it run

p.s. im putting lower profile and better rims on it before i even think about it so
I see no point in going any faster then 105 mph. I mean, I'm running mid 13s and only trap 105-108. To answer your question though, yea the other members are correct. You need to get it tuned or maybe hp tuners could remove the governor.

I did not read the entire thread but now that I have, ^

Last edited by R&C_rallySS; 03-26-2008 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-26-2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by braineater

Not.
Why did he call us jackasses? He was the one who made fun of the mod and I still dont understand that post...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM

the mercedes was running 6 or 7 years ago, just a rough idle.....
plug swap.. and change ALL the fluid's and it might need a battery... you can ask mercedes question's to me VIA PM.. i used to do nothing but work on classic mercedes with my father.. hell my bro own's a 78 300 coupe diesel non turbo.. mustard yellow.. and my dad still has his 74 450 SL triple navy blue with AMG 5 spoke wheel's on it from 1974..

and NO ONE know's why that tool post's what he does.. it's kinda sad IMO...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:37 PM

wow. who cares what the car tops out at. if your honestly doing daily driving every day at 100+ mph i hope you either A. Get caught so you learn your lesson. or B. Get in a one car accident with your self before you kill somebody else out there who didn't do anything to deserve it because of your reckless stupidity driving.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:12 PM

From the GM factory repair information on an '06 Cobalt Automatic Transmission:

The automatic transmission output speed sensor (OSS) provides vehicle speed information to the transmission control module (TCM). The OSS is a permanent magnet generator mounted to the transmission case. The OSS produces an AC voltage as the transmission speed sensor rotor teeth pass through the magnetic field of the sensor. The AC voltage level increases as the speed of the vehicle increases. The TCM converts the AC voltage into a digital signal. The TCM uses the vehicle speed signal to determine shift timing, torque converter clutch (TCC) apply, TCC release, and gear ratio calculations.

When the TCM detects a low output speed and the vehicle has a large engine speed in a drive gear, then DTC P0722 sets. DTC P0722 is a type B DTC.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
• The TCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

• The TCM commands maximum line pressure.

• The TCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.

• The TCM calculates output speed from input speed, engine speed, and commanded gear.

• The TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The TCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

• The TCM stores DTC P0722 in TCM history during the second consecutive trip in which the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met.

SO:
Cutting the speed signal wire will cause problems, set a MIL and most likely not bypass the speed limiter since the TCM will calculate a speed based on the information that is still available. I don't know for sure since I have never tried it but I DO know how GM PCM/TCM systems operate due to my experience as a technician in the past and they usually have a few failsafes in place in case something does happen.

Last edited by blackjack hotrods; 03-27-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-27-2008, 05:21 PM

got a good point there...unless your driving a 2007 with an E37 pcm (ls and lt models) in which case there is no transmission control module, its all in the pcm

Quick Reply: Need a person that knows alot about Cobalt's